Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

THINGS TO WATCH FOR -- BUYING GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An RS, regardless of the color, comes guaranteed by Porsche to provide a permanent hard-on!

P.S. if you find factory welded plates in the RS you're looking at...consider that an added bonus. Some early '07s were lucky to get those.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
not in CA, they aren't.
Especially in CA.!!!!Hehehe
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
IMHO Richard has one of the best deals out there. He has already installed all of the "must haves" for the RS and done them tastefully. Not to mention, his is the BEST color combo for the RS. All the black cars have more HP than any other combo.
everyone knows that the launch color (orange in this case) cars always get the extra shot of HP from the factory....its a well known fact....check it for yourselves
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leif997
everyone knows that the launch color (orange in this case) cars always get the extra shot of HP from the factory....its a well known fact....check it for yourselves
+1 ^...especially the early ones with the factory welded plates
Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No really guys, black and orange cars are faster. But, don't take my word for it. Here is page 47 of my manual:
"...your exotic and very rare black and orange accented GT3 RS is equipped with factory welded plates for roll cage installation, higher horsepower for better lap times over other color combinations and a "built-in" chick magnet. Resale value will be the highest of all RS combinations and you'll forget how to give a "point by" unless you drive other cars."
Well, there ya go. I didn't write the manual.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
masinari
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard car's is absolutely fantastic, but I have virtually no time due to my crazy work schedule to travel plus I have cars to trade in. So I am really bound to local dealers and cars within a half hour radius now.

BTW, I have been a black on black car guy all my life. All my Porsches/Ferrari are black except for my F40. Actually, i have never been fond of silver cars in general, but when I saw the RS in silver with orange accents I thought it was spectacular. The silver RS and a silver CGT were parked at the dealer
next to each other and with all due respect, the RS looked hotter and more of a Porsche than a CGT.

Silver is the color of the 917/934 Martini and other amazing racing Porsche, and perfect for street stealth ultra fast driving.

Colors are very subjective. I am actually not planning to track the car that much (I want to get a real track car that i do not have to worry about), but drive it as much on the road as a possible. Road driving is fun too especially in nice open areas because the track is endless.

Thanks to everyone. Love the list. You guys are fun. I will final inspect the #2828 and if good, will be back with more reports to you soon.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are all way off base!! Check with anyone who works at Weissach!! Every fast GT3/RS/RSR starts it's life silver!! I rest my case.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
No really guys, black and orange cars are faster. But, don't take my word for it. Here is page 47 of my manual:
"...your exotic and very rare black and orange accented GT3 RS is equipped with factory welded plates for roll cage installation, higher horsepower for better lap times over other color combinations and a "built-in" chick magnet. Resale value will be the highest of all RS combinations and you'll forget how to give a "point by" unless you drive other cars."
Well, there ya go. I didn't write the manual.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
masinari
Advanced

I always liked Richard's car. It is fantastic. My problem is that I have absolutely no time due to crazy workload, plus I have two Porsches to sell and need I a dealer. So I am focusing to a 50 miles radius.

Color is very subjective. I love black cars. All my cars have been and are black, with the exception of my F40. I also was never fond of silver on most Porsches, but after seen the GT3RS in person (it does not photograph well, but it comes alive when one sees the actual car), but I like it a lot on the RS. It has that techno look. A la' silver arrows german timeless racing car. It has both a timeless retro look, and a futuristic metal, techno Porsche Design look.

I saw the GT3RS at the dealer next to a silver (a slighty darker silver) CGT, and with all due respect, the GT3RS looked more super Porsche and cooler, than the GT.

So I am now looking at #2829. Keep you all posted, and when I drive it, I will give you a comparison vs. my F40. I am sure the news will be good!

Thanks again guys for your help. You are great...Can't wait to exchange your help in the future.

__ M A T T__
Old 12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
masinari
Advanced

Pls disregard the repeat message above, I had two windows open.

How do I read an ECU report to find type 2 over-revs . Is is it just a printout?

__M A T T__
Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

I thought I would jump in here regarding color. My wife can't wait for me to sell the car because of the constant ringing of the doorbell. Every 15 minutes, it is either a hot chick or a guy with another color RS looking for tips to go faster : ) Anyone thinking of buying a Black and Orange RS really should consider how much time it takes to fend off the adoring fans. Not to mention that it might cause some stress when you are parked next your good friend and someone says (actual quote) "That is the best color combo they offer, it looks amazing...oh, yeah, yours looks good too."

I think that the guys that own silver are really considerate. The orange and green are so distracting in my rear view mirror.

No offense...they all rock.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masinari
I always liked Richard's car. It is fantastic. My problem is that I have absolutely no time due to crazy workload, plus I have two Porsches to sell and need I a dealer. So I am focusing to a 50 miles radius.

Color is very subjective. I love black cars. All my cars have been and are black, with the exception of my F40. I also was never fond of silver on most Porsches, but after seen the GT3RS in person (it does not photograph well, but it comes alive when one sees the actual car), but I like it a lot on the RS. It has that techno look. A la' silver arrows german timeless racing car. It has both a timeless retro look, and a futuristic metal, techno Porsche Design look.

I saw the GT3RS at the dealer next to a silver (a slighty darker silver) CGT, and with all due respect, the GT3RS looked more super Porsche and cooler, than the GT.

So I am now looking at #2829. Keep you all posted, and when I drive it, I will give you a comparison vs. my F40. I am sure the news will be good!

Thanks again guys for your help. You are great...Can't wait to exchange your help in the future.

__ M A T T__
Matt, I may be intruding with some unsolicited advice on purchasing an RS and if such is the case please accept my apologies in advance...

If I were in the market to buy a GT3RS today, I'd buy Richard's car in a New York minute as opposed to the Silver GT3RS at Roslyn. Why?

Richard's car has:

- the better color value retention combo
- PCCB's (currently & prospectively a "must have" option)
- Euro factory roll bar, CF seats, harnesses, pedals, etc (a lot of $$$)
- Clear bra
- setup already dialed in

The asking price of this car is not much more than MSRP + taxes + post purchase factory equip. At ~ 2k miles it's just broken-in and likely by a careful owner and guy who knows what he's doing.

The silver GT3RS at Roslyn IIRC is also a pre-owned car without PCCBs and any of the other options. I may be mistaken but that car was shopped around even with wholesalers for ~ $160k.

Don't know the $$$ being asked for the silver RS now but if the deal difference in $$$ is a just few grand...Richard's car is the value deal. I'm not the smartest guy around here so take my 'ol 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Disclaimer: I don't know Richard and I don't know you. Have no affiliation good or bad with Porsche of Roslyn either. Just another Porsche/rennlist enthusiast.

Cheers!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
masinari
Advanced

I totally agree myself. In fact I saw Richard's car a while back and contacted him. I believe it is the case, since Richard's ca has PCCB, the pedals, the roll bar, and it is all set up and balanced. I love the color too, black is my traditional favorite.

However, like you guys, we have different life and work phases. My life choices are now dictated by completely different factors, .e.g. my work is ultra busy and my business/company development is so top priority and cannot afford virtually time to allow for a transaction, also with two cars to trade. I am in a "simplify my car life mode" now with too many cars (some in Europe) and an exciting global business development. so with minimal time.

Of course PCCBs are better, but for the street they will be fine.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 PM
masinari
Advanced

I got some news for you regarding colors.

I just got off the phone with J.Barth in Stuttagardt. He told me that Ferry always drove a silver Porsche. He was never seen drive cars of any other colors.

He said that silver was Ferry's "spiritual" color.

He also told me that all the new cars to be added to the new Porsche supermuseum will be all silver. This is in honor of Ferry's desire.

__M A T T__
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Ferry Porsche might have liked silver, but Andreas Preuninger says orange and green are by far the hottest colors for this RS. Additionally, he does not understand why anyone would want it to look like the previos model.(white)
Rich

Quick Reply: THINGS TO WATCH FOR -- BUYING GT3RS