Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

track alignment for street

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default track alignment for street

Some of my racing buddies use the track alignment for the street as well as the track. Others use the street alignment for the street and a track alignment for the track. Opinions?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I am not hijacking your thread, but how is the stock allignement for the track (for a driver with significant experience)?

Thanks.

SF
Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

The stock alignment is fine on the track and the 997 GT3 will perform beautifully. If you want to drive at 10/10, the track alignment is what you need.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

I found a huge difference from the stock set up and the adjusted track set up. It felt like a different car entirely. Stock set up had push and then snap oversteer. After camber (-2.5 front, -2.25 rear, zero toe) and a few other tweaks, it is awesome.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BKSPN33
I found a huge difference from the stock set up and the adjusted track set up. It felt like a different car entirely. Stock set up had push and then snap oversteer. After camber (-2.5 front, -2.25 rear, zero toe) and a few other tweaks, it is awesome.
What about on the streets and freeways?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:02 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Does the track setup ware out the inside of the tires if you are street driving it allot? Someone told me that they burned off a set of street PS2's in like 4000 miles with the track set up so he took it back to street.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Does the track setup ware out the inside of the tires if you are street driving it allot? Someone told me that they burned off a set of street PS2's in like 4000 miles with the track set up so he took it back to street.
yes, at 2.5 neg camber, you will chew up inside very fast. but 4k miles isn't bad. even at street alignment, i dont think you will get more than 6k for the rear.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:53 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Unless you are going to track the car, keep the street alignment. It's doubtful you'll feel the difference on the street. And it will wear your tires much quicker.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-25-2007, 04:34 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 944T the car with the track alignment is much more fun to drive, does feel like a whole different car, some mechanics discourage it cause the car will follow the dips in the road more and require more attention. But IMO it's much more fun to drive.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

You can feel a slight difference on the street but it realy doesn't matter. The stock alignment is still insanely good for the street. The track set-up is great for the track but will chew your tires on the street for sure. At 2.5 it won't be too bad...good middle setting. More camber and slicks would be perfect for the track but if you drove it on the street you would kill tires super quick. If you want to really compromise, you could put the max camber without spacers and rotating the uprights. I can't remember what that number is...maybe 1.8?? It might make the car a bit more predictable and not hurt tires on street as much. I don't know anyone that has done this though. Most guys I know want the performance on the track.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

You can feel a slight difference on the street but it realy doesn't matter. The stock alignment is still insanely good for the street. The track set-up is great for the track but will chew your tires on the street for sure. At 2.5 it won't be too bad...good middle setting. More camber and slicks would be perfect for the track but if you drove it on the street you would kill tires super quick. If you want to really compromise, you could put the max camber without spacers and rotating the uprights. I can't remember what that number is...maybe 1.8?? It might make the car a bit more predictable and not hurt tires on street as much. I don't know anyone that has done this though. Most guys I know want the performance on the track.
i have 2.5 front camber, you dont need spacer or turn strut to do that.

if you are purely driving on street. 1.8 - 2.0 is MORE than plenty. any more than that, you will not benefit or feel it.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mooty, my tech said that he could not go any further than 1.8 without using spacers. So we left it at that. I'd be interested in knowing if you're certain about having 2.5 without spacers?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:13 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
Mooty, my tech said that he could not go any further than 1.8 without using spacers. So we left it at that. I'd be interested in knowing if you're certain about having 2.5 without spacers?
i dont know the mechanics. but my suspension guru has always been able to get more camber than others, from my cayman s to my lotus and everything in b/n.

i specifically asked him if he rotated the strut, used shims or spacers, NOPE he said.

you may have to lower the car a bit. my car is not lowered much, as the geometry is not messed up and i have no bump steer.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, thanks for the reply.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:15 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

I would love to know how he got that much camber without spacers or turning. I have never heard anyone get more than 1.8'ish. I know that my race tech couldn't eventhough we already lowered the car. If you don't ask him, would you pass along his name and number. I one friend with an RS and he is getting ready to change the camber.

Quick Reply: track alignment for street