Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt3 december musings

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 AM
docron7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt3 december musings

Drove my 74S ( 3.0 liter with webers) and then my 2007 gt3. What a difference 33 years make. 74 pros: simple simple simple, light clutch, smaller car,
cons: rattles, vague very vague 5sp, air was always being fixed,water leaks,oil leaks,
07 gt3 pros: smooth, smooth, fast, smooth,comfortable to drive at any speed, great air, turns heads of the knowing
cons: mmm'm let me think. Oh, heavy clutch!
A few other thoughts: always get the xeon, always get full leather, don't waist your money on ceramic brakes, nav system (buy a $150 tomtom), only wash and rinse with deionized filtered h2o. The front air dam is a wear and tear item. Just drive the car and enjoy!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

for GT3

why full leather? i don't think that match the car.

plus why no PCCB? that's saving weight and provide better feeling.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, no full leather? I get the whole hardcore racer thing, and why spend money on something that doesn't make the car go faster, etc., but it really upscales the interior IMO and I think it's money well spent. I use mine as a daily driver and people comment all the time on how nice the full leather is but, more importantly, I appreciate it much more than the standard trim.

Rather than spend the money on the PCCBs, I'd go w/ an aftermarket setup like Alcon or Brembo. I'm reseaching the options so I don't have all the fact as of yet, but from what I've read so far the Alcon steel rotors are much ligther than the PCCBs thereby eating away some of the PCCB benefits, they cost less than the PCCB option, and rotor replacement is much less expensive which should be a big deal for anybody who tracks thier car regularly unless a well budgeted race team. If money is no object and spending $8k for new rotors does not phase you, then by all means go for the PCCBs. I also agree w/ docron regarding the Xenons. I suppose if you're going to use the car just for track days, then no need, but otherwise get the Xenons.

Hey doc, looks like we're on the same page
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

i see your point, but i perfer the plain look of the non leather interior and thats very easy to clean, plus the clubsports package roll cage really not match the leather. i dont think the Alcon steel would be lighter then the carbon made brake disc, but i guess it would be stronger tho.

are there any brakes for Porsche that are lighter than the PCCB?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:19 AM
SidewaysSid
Track Day

Considering the cost of the 997 GT3/RS it seems sensible to add leather, limited amount on the RS, to elevate the interior to a look commensurate with a vehicle of this value.

I'd specced my car with Orange paint, PCCB, Bi-Xenon, Sat-nav etc and added the leather which with the benefit of hindsight I would do again. The sports-chrono is the only extra I would probably forgo next time. I've had the car since June 2007 and still haven't used the sports-chrono. Actually I haven't even looked in the drivers manual to see how it works.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my PCCBs. 51,000 miles on the rear rotors. 25,000 miles on the fronts (genII) like new.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
docron7
Intermediate

A few other thoughts. Summer nights with the windows down, sunroof open, air condition off , listen to the music of the six. Cannot understand all the people that don't like the sun roof. Are you going to be racing your car at Laguna Seca and never driving the coast highway to BigSur?
The smell of the leather is well worth the price of admission ( I love the contrasting red stiching).
Old 12-18-2007, 01:39 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SidewaysSid
. . . The sports-chrono is the only extra I would probably forgo next time. I've had the car since June 2007 and still haven't used the sports-chrono. Actually I haven't even looked in the drivers manual to see how it works.
Don't bother - reading the manual will not add to the utility of the thing. I'm sorry I paid money for it.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

You're kidding about the deionized H2O; right?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If it's truly deionized it'll dry on its own without leaving water spots.

Originally Posted by deutschmick
You're kidding about the deionized H2O; right?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi all, my two cents. I also wanted some of the same options listed above as I bought this one for driving. Leather, cruise ctrl, deffinitly the xenons, and the NAV's very time consumming w/ it's required inputs but gets me there w/o the map by your self, routine. Arrive in stlye, unharried. The sun roof could easily have been made an option. I almost Never use 'em & would not have ordered. It came w/ the car, as I got it pre-owned. I love the sounds w/ the windows open, in "sport". I have exhaust systems/ sound upgrades tugging at me. My iron brakes will be just great for my current use. I won't get into how to wash my car... Upgrades are what makes our cars unique and we all like that.

Bill
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I really enjoy the smell of my interior and love the red stitching. alcantara is fantastic. I feel like the sunroof is decent but wouldn't have ordered it if I had a choice...but hey since it's there might as well pop it up for some extra downforce lol.

these are really fun cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
... sunroof is decent but wouldn't have ordered it if I had a choice...but hey since it's there might as well pop it up for some extra downforce...
That's a good one! Never thought about that!

GT3 Down Force generated by pop-up sunroof + wing = GT3 RS Down Force generated by wide RS carbon fiber wing!?! That's briliant!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

YD: don't forget that lift always comes with drag...

But it would be fun to find out what Porsche learned about this during wind tunnel testing!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

haha someone had a pic of themself driving on the ring with the roof popped up earlier this year- larry cable maybe?

Quick Reply: gt3 december musings