Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any regrets on RS options or the car itself ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any regrets on RS options or the car itself ?

Looking for anyone who didn't like the car itself or specific option.

I just ordered mine and getting the usuall cold-feet....don't know why I'm getting cold feet...I love my 996 TTS's power and braking efficiency but hate the numd steering feeling and not crazy about the turbo spooling effect...guess the RS resolves all of this, therefore I should not be getting cold feet.....

Maybe I should just take an aspirin and go to bed...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watch youtube track videos everyday.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
MarekN
Racer

I have a GT3, not RS, but consider the cars similar enough to be in a position to reply.

To sum it up, and I have driven hundreds of different new cars as a journalist in the last few years, in the GT3 you feel like being in something that is displaced from a different dimension.

As an automobile and also as a motoring experience, it is extraordinary in every sense and every aspect.

The only thing that I would change is to have only one throttle map. In the sport setting, the throttle works differently than in the sport-off setting.

Looking at your other cars, can you comment some more on your Quattroporte, please? How many miles have you done so far? I am considering it.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
MarekN
Racer

Did you say you just ordered one? I thought that was no longer an option ever since about mid-summer. My feeling was that they were all spoken for, especially on the North American market.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by peachboy
Looking for anyone who didn't like the car itself or specific option.

I just ordered mine and getting the usuall cold-feet....don't know why I'm getting cold feet...I love my 996 TTS's power and braking efficiency but hate the numd steering feeling and not crazy about the turbo spooling effect...guess the RS resolves all of this, therefore I should not be getting cold feet.....

Maybe I should just take an aspirin and go to bed...
Peachboy,
I traded in a 996 TT X-50 Cabriolet on my RS, so I was in a similar position.
I liked the 996 TT, but I love the RS. No comparison. I think the RS is the best 911 I've ever driven, by a lot, and maybe the best ever. You will not be disappointed.
Ray
'07 RS
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
peachboy
Racer

Got a call from the dealer two days ago, late afternoon telling me that they were offered an unexpected allocation of one more car but that any prospective buyer would need to decide right away...might explain the cold feet...it's the lack of lead time that's making me nervous.

The Quatroporte GT...hum, my wife choose that one, I would not have selected an Italian myself. On one hand it's a super confortable yet sporty ride. You truely feel like you're driving an super car, handling is great, power is great especially in sport mode. Few ergonomic quirks, quite a few...lot's of button hidden behind the steering wheel and you have to stretch to get them. HVAC is a P.I.T.A. to adjust while driving. The seats electrical heater location is a joke...you almost have to stop and get out of the car to find it.

We have had quite a few bad luck with it (german gods punishment for buying an Italian car), badly scratch left front wheel and denmted the right one. Wheels are super low profile on the GT Sport Edition and seems to be vulnerable since I've never had such problems on the other cars and I drive well over 50,000 Km per year. The leater on the back seat console ripped appart when my 6 yr old daughter put her boots on it. The back bumper got cracked badly when someone barely backed into us. I have a few other things not working such as the turn signal don't cancels themselves, the exterior mirors vibrates, the glove box doesn't close tight etc etc. Italian car lover oddly enough seem fine with these setback while someone more use to good old German reliability shake their heads. I heard a funny comments to the effect that driving an Italian car is like dating a very hot supermodel who's bipolar...when it;s good it's awesome, when it's bad it's awefull.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 AM
peachboy
Racer

Ray, would you put as much mileage in an RS as you would in a TT ???
Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM
gripet
Advanced

PB: I went from a TT to a gt3 (not an RS) but I think you will love it. The two cars were nothing alike. WOT on the TT was like lighting a fuse on a cherry bomb and waiting for it to kick you in the pants. The GT3 feels fully and instantly connected.The same seemed true for the steering, suspension, and so forth. In the TT I felt like a spas on roller skates. The GT3 makes me feel like I have a great driving instructor right next to me. The car has so much more potential than I have skill. Kind of like the GT3 is patiently waiting for me to catch up. Its way out in front of me.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gripet
In the TT I felt like a spas on roller skates.

This is hilarious because it's completely true. I feel like the 996TT is driving me, not the other way around. It's a difficult car to rein in because the ABS/PSM/PTM/AWD voodoo makes it almost impossible to tell what's going on under the car. I think it's a lot of fun at 7/10 on the street, but a total handful on the track. Naturally-aspirated 911s are different in that they're fast, exciting, AND predictable.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both the RS and a 996TT S. Night and day difference. Just can't get enough driving the RS, whereas the Turbo S feels relatively lame. So I went and modded the Turbo S to 600 hp. At least now I can enjoy the boost.

Seriously, once you drive the RS, everything pales in comparison. Even an F430.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyC

Seriously, once you drive the RS, everything pales in comparison. Even an F430.
Really? Can you expound on that please?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Default Reply to Peachboy

Originally Posted by peachboy
Ray, would you put as much mileage in an RS as you would in a TT ???
Peachboy,
I am putting more milage on my RS than the TT because I really enjoy driving it so much more. It is just fantastic. I suppose the TT is more comfortable, but the RS is involving...you look for opportunities to drive it. I got mine in March, and I've driven to Vermont from Connecticut twice, and to Ithaca, NY twice. Just like a Disney ride. And everywhere you go, you get guys comin' over to take a look and congratulate you on your good taste and good fortune. That never happened with the Turbo. Don't know why...it just has that kind of charisma.
As I said, you won't be sorry. And, as you can see from my avatar, I like white/blue.
Regards,
Ray
'07 RS
Old 12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Really? Can you expound on that please?
The RS, for me at least, is the complete package. The looks, handling, power, feels very planted and I feel driver and car become one. The F430 is a great car with more sex appeal, but I like the driving attributes of the RS better.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

I have a 997 GT3, not RS and a Ruf 550 996TT and the TT for the most part collects dust in the garage. The GT3 is the most enjoyable car I've ever driven. It doesn't have the neck snapping torque of the TT but in every other category it excels. The TT feels numb in comparison. The engine response is immediate, the gear shift is like a rifle bolt, the clutch can be easily modulated unlike the TT's, the suspension is amazing with all the feedback you could want, you feel totally connected to every part of this car.
I can go on and on but you get the picture. Buy it and don't look back, it's a sure thing.

Last edited by BG; 12-07-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

after having both for some time now; I can honestly say that they are the two most enjoyable vehicles I have owned...the stripped RS for as close to "purist" ideals as can be had and the tastefully appointed base 3 for DD....it gives me the best of both worlds all of the time....when I look at them side by side; I cannot imagine the Porsche lightning striking twice within this decade or even thereafter wrt the overall aesthetics and performance of the 997 GT3/RS taken as a whole...it will be very hard for the factory to outdo these two cars....I do believe this...

Quick Reply: Any regrets on RS options or the car itself ?