Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any regrets on RS options or the car itself ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
rsman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peachboy, who was your dealer?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

I also went from a 996TT to a "regular" GT3.....no comparison. On the track my impression of the 996TT was that of a Porsche with "training wheels". Which was actually good for me as a track beginner. The PSM saved my *** many a time when I went through corners kinda sideways due to inexperience. In fact I never spun the 996TT unless I turned the PSM off. After a while though I got sick of the "monkey under the hood" telling the car what to do....especially when the monkey and I didn't agree.

The GT3 is a completely different animal. I love it, love it, love it. Great on the street and amazing on the track.

You will never regret the switch from a TT.....
Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 AM
x-50speeder
Instructor

I am a big torque/horsepower fan, and thus love the turbo cars, but I have yet to drive a turbo car that is more pure, fun, involving, than a GT3RS. Ultimately, the Turbo does so many things well that it wins out when you use logic. Especially if you consider daily applications, But when you let emotion, shear driving pleasure, and other intrinsic factors overshadow, then the GT3/RS is so fantastic, that it wins hands down.

Also, if you are offered an RS, well there is not much choice then is there? You will always be able to get your money back out of it should you decide against it.

Either way, it's a fine problem to have!

You are going to love it.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew driving a car could be so satisfying. It also makes me feel good when the guy driving the Ford GT comes over to check out my RS. I can't stay away from the track with it. The only question is, do I keep on driving it or get something else to track/race. Just don't want to make to "big mistake" in the RS. I'd love to have a cup, but just too much cash right now for both cars. I had the priviledge of riding with Cory from Autometrics in a 996 cup right before the last DE. I also had a more aggressive alignment and lowered the car 13mm. By watching some of Cory's techniques and the car adjustment, I knocked 3 seconds off of my previous time. Thanks Cory!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice thread as I'm also thinking of getting rid of a Turbo and getting a GT3
Old 12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 logical choice unless you must have a back seat and 4 wheel drive.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 AM
PSC
Instructor

Am on my second RS.

Second time round, went for the thicker steering wheel. Its much nicer to hold.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 AM
MarekN
Racer

Thanks for your comments on the Quattroporte. It is sad to hear when such a majestic car has these sorts of problems. Here, the car isn´t selling as well as the factory would like.
The only other options in terms of my decision are both Mercedes - S class or CLS.

Come to think of it, maybe I should wait out for the Panamera before making a decision. Unless it comes out looking like a Cayenne, it will be worth it for a number of reasons.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
benjy3
Rennlist Member

I changed out the RS wheel for a carbon fiber model from Porsche. Quite a hassle and expensive as you need to change the airbag as well. Also, needed to order the left and right spoke covers without any switch detailing. All in, must have been about $4k, but I really could not stand the feel of the alcantara and also allowed me to keep the furry wheel new for when resale time comes. Anyway, I love the feel and look of the carbon fiber wheels.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
benjy3
Rennlist Member

MarekN. If you can live with two doors, I strongly recommend the Jaguar XKR Portfolio. I just got one and it is utterly brilliant. Much more soul and more beautiful than Mercedes these days in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

BobbyC View Posted "Seriously, once you drive the RS, everything pales in comparison. Even an F430." I own both and can say that he's partially right. While I'm extremely partial to Porsche, because I've driven them for decades and this is my first Ferrari, the Ferrari certainly has its strong points.

They are two TOTALLY different beast. The F430 is sexy, fun, fast and has by far the best exhaust note; and for simple cruising around on average streets, it smokes the GT3 RS in ride comfort. That being said, the GT3 RS is a pure, bullet-proof drivers car. I had it at the track (BMSP) last weekend, for the first time, and was totally blown away by the difference in it and my past GT3, not to mention that the brakes are by far, the greatest brakes on any car I have ever driven. While the F430 is a super cruiser, the GT3 RS is about as close as you will get to a "comfortable", streetable race car. Anyone, given the shot at owning one, would be a fool not to buy this car!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
MarekN
Racer

Benjy, thanks, and congratulations. I think the XKR is a beautiful car, haven´t driven it yet. I am aiming for a four-seat family car.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
peachboy
Racer

...Hope I don't get in trouble for saying it...Downtown Fine Cars.

Originally Posted by rsman
Peachboy, who was your dealer?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

GT3 'comfort'. Absolutely no regrets. Had it a year and it just feels better and better. High spec (but no silly sunroof) makes it perfect for regular use.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peachboy
...Hope I don't get in trouble for saying it...Downtown Fine Cars.
Peachboy, buy the RS before I call Hans and buy it myself Seriously though, the GT3 is an amazing car, but I do wish sometimes that I had sprung for the RS. I lust after the wide body and the big wing. The RS really isn't worth it in objective terms, but if we were making decisions using objective data, we'd all be driving Z06's...

Quick Reply: Any regrets on RS options or the car itself ?