Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pedal break-off

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pedal break-off

I have heard that the accelerator pedal on the 997's, and hence the GT3, has a weak hinge point that could break off.

Does anyone have any information on this potential problem? If it is a problem, would it be worthwhile to consider an upgraded accelerator pedal assembly, such as the Rennline Rev 2 adjustable pedal?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's really that risky, there would be an urgent recall since it's an obvious safety issue.

Sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to replace it!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Pretty sure Pete Stout (Excellence Mag) reported having this same problem (while testing the RS with JVO) . . . .
Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
If it's really that risky, there would be an urgent recall since it's an obvious safety issue.

Sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to replace it!
lol - perhaps you're right
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 608 Posts

I did experience the problem, but was ready to write it off against the rest of that particular car's condition/abuse.

However, when looking at how the pedal attaches to the car, I was frankly surprised by how little plastic "keeps" the bottom of the pedal assembly against the leverage that can (but should not be) generated by a leg.

I wouldn't, however, run out and replace it just because we had a problem. I'd want to hear of others having the same issue before filing it as a "serious issue" or a "flaw."

The truth is, I probably could have continued driving the car at T-hill that day so long as I was easy on the pedal... but that didn't seem wise. In any event, the way it popped on me did not affect anything nor put me at risk.

I thought long and hard about how to phrase it (as well as the -- far more serious -- "wheel problem") to a) note the problem we experienced it rather than cover it up and b) no be alarmist.

pete
Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi Pete, can you please refresh our memory as to what the wheel problem was? I don't recall reading about that in the article. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 608 Posts

Article only addressed it as a "wheel problem" as I didn't want GT3 owners to start freaking out about the quality, safety, or strength of the factory GT3 wheels -- of which I have never heard about problems. Heavy yes, but strong and safe too.

The damage I encountered was either a total fluke or the result of (ab)use. And I suspected the latter. Suffice to say it was enough to kill any desire I had to track the car that day. The car was returned to me a few days later with three new wheels, a fresh alignment, and four new N0-rated MPSC tires. The offending wheel(s) were then sent back for analysis.

At that point, I deemed it a representative car. JVO, who had driven four 997 RSs by that point, said it drove like all the others he had driven.

pete

Quick Reply: Pedal break-off