New GT3, new garage, any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Jim,
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the floor surface that you recommend would you?
The best way to get a pic is to search the web for dyed and polished concrete.

Jim Huber
Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

The garge photos posted is not the guy looking for info.... and he (the owner of the garage w/photos) never siad he had a gt3...... nor does he want a new floor.....

Jim are you referring to grinding the concrete with terrazzo floor grinders? I have done that with a pea stone mix and it really is quite nice. Agreed about the coatings- avoid if possible.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.acci-us.com/polished.shtml
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by ssarchi
The garge photos posted is not the guy looking for info.... and he (the owner of the garage w/photos) never siad he had a gt3...... nor does he want a new floor.....

Jim are you referring to grinding the concrete with terrazzo floor grinders? I have done that with a pea stone mix and it really is quite nice. Agreed about the coatings- avoid if possible.

We use a large diamond grinder and other grinders that the stones can me changed so a high polish can be had. I can grind any surface the 4000 psi range is best for a really nice floor and if you are going to do it from scratch you can do things to make really nice. The new wave acid stain is really cool and we use for all concrete counter tops and sinks and other interior decrotive concrete things. Concrete showers and kitchens are the bomb.

Jim Huber
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Concrete showers and kitchens are the bomb."
These I'd like to see. Any pics??
thanks
Bill
Old 12-04-2007, 06:45 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by buckdr1
"Concrete showers and kitchens are the bomb."
These I'd like to see. Any pics??
thanks
Bill
Most of my clients that want this look also have some privacy issues. I am finishing a kitchen sink soon and will post pic. The best thing about concrete anything is it is easy to take care of lasts very long time and can be any shape style or color. Unlike other natural hard surface material concrete is also very green. The future market of the material concrete and its uses is off the chart. Everyone looks over the concrete. I love it because with concrete u want u get.

Jim Huber
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Thank you.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Most of my clients that want this look also have some privacy issues. I am finishing a kitchen sink soon and will post pic. The best thing about concrete anything is it is easy to take care of lasts very long time and can be any shape style or color. Unlike other natural hard surface material concrete is also very green. The future market of the material concrete and its uses is off the chart. Everyone looks over the concrete. I love it because with concrete u want u get.

Jim Huber
concrete, guarantied to crack or your money back.

no question it is very popular with the "it" crowd right now. i have already laid a garage floor and the hot water coils are already in there so it's not getting ripped up anytime soon.

my current coating has grit but it is still an ice rink in the wet. what can i do to help?

thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
concrete, guarantied to crack or your money back.

no question it is very popular with the "it" crowd right now. i have already laid a garage floor and the hot water coils are already in there so it's not getting ripped up anytime soon.

my current coating has grit but it is still an ice rink in the wet. what can i do to help?

thanks

Strip the surface with a blast track diamond grinder then acid etch. The thing that most people do not understand is that with radiant floor systems a sealer or coating that "soaks in" rather than seals is best. That is why I love the acid stain and buff. Sure it is a job but just like stone counter tops the finish is great. Slick from wet with grip? My bet is that the girt was put in the paint and not dusted on top. Some people think the grit can be intrained and it can not or you will be left with paint or sealer covered grit. We use this glass dust from recycled glass and it is great stuff. You are right concrete will crack that is why telling the concrete at what spot to crack is the key. I work with concrete in all forms all day every day and I love it. It is so much fun to me to build with the material and the quality of the concrete is getting better each year.

Jim Huber

Quick Reply: New GT3, new garage, any thoughts