Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can't open engine lid

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't open engine lid

No, battery is fine. I pulled on the switch to open the engine lid. You get that solenoid sound that it's unlocking the lid. At this point, the lid should pop up. But it's not going anywhere.

Had another person pull on the switch while I lift up on the lid. No luck. It's in there tight.

There's supposed to be a manual release on the left tail light, but to remove the light, you need the lid up. Duh.

Any one had this problem?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:36 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is on to your evil plot to install a dipstick...
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
LMAO. Porsche built these things to be smarter than you think. There's no way I'd pull my pants down knowing some doctor's gonna stick something up in there also.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
like the dog that runs away when you pull the leash out
Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
ryanawesome
Advanced

The pull tab on the actuator itself has came off. The emergency release is a small steel cable underneath the left taillight. If you want to try to fish it out yourself get a plastic wedge and put it in between the bottom of the taillight and the bumper. Then get a flashlight and some kind of long hook pull out the cable. Its only held in by tape. Once its out, pull the cable until the rear lid pops. Then remove the taillight to put the cable back in its original spot for the future. I want to say its a T25 for the taillight. Then take the car to the dealer to have the actuator replaced.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:17 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, the actuator makes the noise, but the lid does not open. It's a testament to this car's reliability on the track that I've done two track days knowing I would not be able to open the lid, and fortunately, didn't have any reason to open it.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Several reports of the same latching problem and you're praising the car's reliability?

imo, Porsche is showing signs of sloppy design, manufacturing or both.

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I have the same problem, the actuator makes the noise, but the lid does not open. It's a testament to this car's reliability on the track that I've done two track days knowing I would not be able to open the lid, and fortunately, didn't have any reason to open it.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by ryanawesome
The pull tab on the actuator itself has came off. The emergency release is a small steel cable underneath the left taillight. If you want to try to fish it out yourself get a plastic wedge and put it in between the bottom of the taillight and the bumper. Then get a flashlight and some kind of long hook pull out the cable. Its only held in by tape. Once its out, pull the cable until the rear lid pops. Then remove the taillight to put the cable back in its original spot for the future. I want to say its a T25 for the taillight. Then take the car to the dealer to have the actuator replaced.

Hi Ryan,

This makes sense and will try next. I bet there was a good gap there before which allows you to do this with a hook, but unfortunately when I removed the bumper and replaced the light, I didn't pay attention to the gap. Good to know for the future.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 AM
ryanawesome
Advanced

The bumper fits into metal locators. So the vertical gap is only adjusted via the taillamp. Even with the worst adjustment of the taillight there should be enough flex to get a coat hanger or something comparable in there.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:18 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have someone push actuator and push "down on lid"....
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by ryanawesome
The bumper fits into metal locators. So the vertical gap is only adjusted via the taillamp. Even with the worst adjustment of the taillight there should be enough flex to get a coat hanger or something comparable in there.
SUCCESS!! Your method worked great. Sounds like you've done this before.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 PM
ryanawesome
Advanced

I sure have, plenty of customers cars. Lots of small tricks about using the emergency functions porsche provides.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I had the problem on my 997S - may have just been an adjustment issue but was fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: Can't open engine lid