Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Just had lightweight flywheel installed in 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just had lightweight flywheel installed in 997 GT3

I just had a lightweight flywheel and new clutch installed (same as from GT3RS) and I'm very happy w/ the result. The engine revs much more freely and I am happy now -- I knew going into buying the car that it was going to need a LTW flywheel just from the test drive. Perhaps I'm too spoiled by the RS4 motor which is amazing in this regard.

As expected, you can hear some gearbox noise that was not present w/ the dual mass, but as long as I know it's normal then I don't care much. It's just more noise on top of an already noisy car

Only other thing to do is exhaust and I'm totally confused trying to figure out which system. Cargraphic would probably be my first choice but it SO expensive!! AWE or GMG center replacement is the direction leaning.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will like the gmg ceter section great sound
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

You should also consider the SharkWerks Muffler Bypass (center section replacement). Works great on my RS.

Originally Posted by 930man
you will like the gmg ceter section great sound
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
SixSpeed
Advanced

How much did it cost you to do the conversion? Considering it myself. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peloton
You should also consider the SharkWerks Muffler Bypass (center section replacement). Works great on my RS.
I second the Sharkwerks system. I am doing mine in reverse, already got the exhaust installed and will be going back to Sharkwerks next month for the LWF.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

total cost ~3,600USD installed.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I second the Sharkwerks system. I am doing mine in reverse, already got the exhaust installed and will be going back to Sharkwerks next month for the LWF.
Thanks Snowboarder, we're doing an RS today with the system Someone else (mentioning no names here!) brought in a bone stocker last night in green and it does sound so quiet stock. For now...

See you soon for the LWF, you're going to love how it revs...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sharkster;4780462]Thanks Snowboarder, we're doing an RS today with the system Someone else (mentioning no names here!) brought in a bone stocker last night in green and it does sound so quiet stock. For now...

Hehe! I think I know who you are refering to and I'm sure the new "Greenie" won't stay a stocker long. Off to LA this weekend for the Hoilday!!! I'll show those So. Ca. boys what a real GT3 is suppose to sound like! See you before Baja.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by peloton
Cheers and glad you like it We have one set aside for the _street car_

See you tomorrow for the seats!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:50 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Snowboarder54;4780517]
Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks Snowboarder, we're doing an RS today with the system Someone else (mentioning no names here!) brought in a bone stocker last night in green and it does sound so quiet stock. For now...

Hehe! I think I know who you are refering to and I'm sure the new "Greenie" won't stay a stocker long. Off to LA this weekend for the Hoilday!!! I'll show those So. Ca. boys what a real GT3 is suppose to sound like! See you before Baja.
His orangina is showing up tonight too for the 'ol swaparoo He knows he has issues lol.

Have fun in LA and you _might_ come across a couple of folks since we've sent out a few
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Cheers and glad you like it We have one set aside for the _street car_

See you tomorrow for the seats!
So when are you going to let us get a group buy discount on the center pipe, Sharkey?...BTW, the orange fire bottle looks great in my car...thanks for saving me one....no pics yet...will forward when I can

nj
Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hey norm, glad you like it... I'm sorry to say there aren't anymore oranginas and the chances of me making another run are small to nil. It was hard to get done and I figure we'll just be a wacky but exclusive bunch with zany-colored extinguishers....

Center-pipe GB... well, I've made a second round which we're supposed to ship to people early next week so it wouldn't be fair to them. In fairness, we've tried to keep the costs down as much as we can seeing as these are small quantities...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Does the LWF add to horsepower if so how much. How much does it cost? And if anyone wants to comment, i have been told I should Chip my GT3 has anyone done that and at what power gain.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

No, it will not add power to your engine, but because you're reducing the amount of rotating mass hanging off the end of the crankshaft there's less power that goes into spooling up the engine and the net result is that you'll see better acceleration. It will have the greatest affect in the lower gears when the engine is spooling up more quickly than in the top gears because the mass is resisting rotational acceleration.

It's nice to know that you're buying yourself some marginally better acceleration but it's not something you'll notice in the seat of your pants and I wouldn't spend the $$$ if your motivation is improved 0-60 times, etc. It does make a big difference in the throttle response when blipping the throttle, etc., which is why I did it. It also shaves 20lbs from the car which is also nice -- that's half the weight that the GT3RS saves over the GT3 right there Now if I just get the bitchin' wide *** hips that the RS has so easily.

See above for rough cost installed.

-Roland.

Last edited by rja; 11-15-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 AM
TripleM
Racer

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Does the LWF add to horsepower if so how much. How much does it cost? And if anyone wants to comment, i have been told I should Chip my GT3 has anyone done that and at what power gain.
I think the 3.6L with 414bhp is very much maxed out....dont waste your money on tuning..

Beta do things like lightened Flywheel if I were to mod..

Quick Reply: Just had lightweight flywheel installed in 997 GT3