Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WIfes new Z4M next to my Beast

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea Mooty I could not get over the 20K difference. I would have liked to get the cayman but
Porsche could not
get us out of the lease nicely
or get to invoice and then below.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Yea Mooty I could not get over the 20K difference. I would have liked to get the cayman but
Porsche could not
i know what you mean that's why i have a beater e90 328 as kid mobile now.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I thnk the reason the BMW guy wanted to do this is cause Wifey was going nuts on the Service manager and the Sales manager wanted to keep me as a customer. THe 335 is getting lemoned on a regular basis and he didnt want me doing it on this one and losing me as a customer.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I thnk the reason the BMW guy wanted to do this is cause Wifey was going nuts on the Service manager and the Sales manager wanted to keep me as a customer. THe 335 is getting lemoned on a regular basis and he didnt want me doing it on this one and losing me as a customer.
gee, i almost got the 335i. my 328 is trouble free. i just drive it everywhere.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can compare it as I drove the car and the Cayman S too yesterday. Let me say the Cayman S is more
civilized than the M car. and I thought the brakes were non existant, compared to the GT3 or the M. THe Cayman would have been a nicer car for wifey but for me I liked the M car more. Then when you factor in the price was 7K UNDER invoice, there was no comparison for fun/price. The clutch is much easier than the GT3, and easier than the M car too. So for a wife the Cayman may be nicer. I think the M car may be more track oriented than the Cayman. I would have LOVED to have a Cayman S for wifey but the deal
was too good and when you figure how the dealer stepped me out of the 335 lease at no cost
there was no comparison.
But as far as performance I have the 1200 mile break in period and we only have 100 miles on the Z4
so I have to wait for a true comparo.

At $7K under invoice I would have done the same. As for the brakes, don't let them fool you. Yes, the bite like crazy, but that it exactly what I am talking about. They are difficult to modulate and just seem over assisted; I have this problem with my father's 335i also. But the Z4 M is an awesome car, especially at that price; I would have done the same. Congratulations again.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
340 elise, i had two lotus also. get used to GT3, then drive it just like exige s, once you get the feel for it, it's just a BIGGER exige.
That is what I am hoping for. I don't mind it being a bigger Exige, but I also don't want it to feel that way. I realize that there is no getting around the 1200 lb weight difference for the GT3, but I sure hope it does a good job of fooling me. If it feels like it weighs about 2,600 lbs with brilliant handling, then I will be happy! I also only paid about $55K for my Exige S brand new. The GT3 will be exactly twice that amount. Is it twice as good?

Anyway, I will find out soon enough, and it appears that I will not have a problem dumping my GT3 if I do not like it. I hope I did the right thing by getting an almost no option GT3.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I also only paid about $55K for my Exige S brand new. The GT3 will be exactly twice that amount. Is it twice as good?
No, it's definitely not twice as good. Car prices are not proportional to how good the car is (it's closer to an exponential curve than a straight line). Is a GT2 nearly twice as good as a GT3? No...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by GrantG
No, it's definitely not twice as good. Car prices are not proportional to how good the car is (it's closer to an exponential curve than a straight line). Is a GT2 nearly twice as good as a GT3? No...
I know; that was a dumb comment by me; I didn't mean it like that. I think the exponential part applies more to performance, not the entire package. The GT3 may very well be twice as good as my Exige S if you think about the poor resale, extreme nature, tiny size, and questionable build quality of the Exige compared to the GT3 (I have owned a 997 and a 987 S).

I think the question is; will it be worth twice the price to me? And only I can answer that. If I buy it and keep the GT3 and instead sell my Exige S, then it must be worth twice the price to me.

This stupid Exige is just sooooooooo much fun to drive; I have a hard time getting over this. I just have to wait and see.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 AM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pix...thanks for sharing as promised.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah some big price reductions on the M coupe. BMW has a huge dealer incentive on the M coupe, so you can pick one up for a great price.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. You did it just right i think. she got herself a excellent car that can haul but you kept the sweetest candy for yourself.

let me ask, what would have been your reaction if she had said "geez honey, tx so much , but why dont you take the bmw, and i'll take your gt3. its used, but it will suffice."

"uh...uh....uh....uh....uh...." or "not a shot, good luck, tell your divorce attorney to reach me at (###-###-####)."

you played that smart. she cant complain now about your gt3 addiction.

Dude, now just dont let her outdrive you. that could stink!<G>
hope all is well!

Porsche could not
Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I think the question is; will it be worth twice the price to me? And only I can answer that. If I buy it and keep the GT3 and instead sell my Exige S, then it must be worth twice the price to me.

This stupid Exige is just sooooooooo much fun to drive; I have a hard time getting over this. I just have to wait and see.
I fully understand (owning a car that's even lighter than the Lotus). You may find that the GT3 is not as fun in the way that the Lotus is (due to weighing more than 50% more). Try to keep the Lotus, until you have an opportunity to drive the GT3...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by GrantG
I fully understand (owning a car that's even lighter than the Lotus). You may find that the GT3 is not as fun in the way that the Lotus is (due to weighing more than 50% more). Try to keep the Lotus, until you have an opportunity to drive the GT3...
Good advice, that is what I am doing. I qualified to buy the GT3 (loan wise) and still keep my Exige S. So I will hold on to the Exige and make my decision after a test drive of the GT3. Only problem is the break-in of 2K miles, but this will not affect my handling test. I already know the GT3 is plenty fast (faster than my Exige S), I just need to test for the grin factor which is the overall feel of the car, with most of the emphasis on handling.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Good advice, that is what I am doing. I qualified to buy the GT3 (loan wise) and still keep my Exige S. So I will hold on to the Exige and make my decision after a test drive of the GT3. Only problem is the break-in of 2K miles, but this will not affect my handling test. I already know the GT3 is plenty fast (faster than my Exige S), I just need to test for the grin factor which is the overall feel of the car, with most of the emphasis on handling.
GT3 has no tq, and handling is very different at high speed.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
GT3 has no tq, and handling is very different at high speed.
Did I read that right; the GT3 has no torque? I thought it had a very nice linear torque curve. It has to be stronger than the Exige S; is that what you meant to say?

Quick Reply: WIfes new Z4M next to my Beast