Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How much do you trail brake when tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much do you trail brake when tracking?

In an attempt to improve my driving skills, I recently took a karting 2 day class and I was stunned at how well a kart could trail brake.

I realize the GT3 is not a go kart, but still wanted to try to at least do some trail braking at my next event.

So, I was curious how much trail braking you folks do?

I am sure it depends on the corner, but what do you do any trail braking and if so how much? Do you try to end the trail braking at the apex?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
ScottL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to trail brake to get 911's turned in. The tighter/slower the corner the more you require.

Generally you should be off the brakes before the apex.

Get instruction (from a 911 expert) or a px lap with a quick driver and observe closely.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember before GT3s hit the US trail braking was discouraged in articles I read.
but recently since GT3s have come here its been taught. I wish Uncle Bob R would
Chime in. I am sure he will soon.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Zed Homme
Intermediate

I havent tracked my GT3 yet, but in my BMWs, a lot. They tend to understeer, and as mentioned before, its the only way to get the car pointed in the direction you want to go without scrubbing off a lot of speed.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottL
You've got to trail brake to get 911's turned in. The tighter/slower the corner the more you require.

Generally you should be off the brakes before the apex.

Get instruction (from a 911 expert) or a px lap with a quick driver and observe closely.

+1
this is exactly my experience
Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

TB was only discuraged b/c it's an ADC. Technic. If u get it wrong off u go. In fact ppl TB since early 911 and in e36/46 bmw they aren't driveable unless u TB and I had close to -4 camber up frt.

Usually TB is needed only on tight turns. If u need TB to get it turning on fast turns the car would be very lose.

Btw u should be on full throtte by apex if not earlier not just off brk.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo Mooty's comments. I typically only trail brake on tighter turns; I haven't had a need to do it on faster turns and doing so could get the car loose. For a tighter turn, I generally trail brake for as long as necessary to get the car pointed at the apex. Then I roll back on the throttle, with the goal usually of being at full throttle prior to or at the apex, depending upon the turn.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trail break to set the front end start the turn in and then lift to rotate the car and throttle to settle the rear.....correct with steering wheel as indicated....then keep your foot flat on the floor....
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

I had David Murray give me some instruction at VIR earlier this month. He wanted me to trailbrake into almost EVERY turn. I have some practicing to do!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I remember before GT3s hit the US trail braking was discouraged in articles I read.
but recently since GT3s have come here its been taught. I wish Uncle Bob R would
Chime in. I am sure he will soon.
Hey Paul! I hope this does not turn into a "Color Change" thread!

My views are:

1) You need to define trail-braking. In most any car, you should initiate the turn just as you are in the final stage of releasing the brake pedal. That gives the front end more grip at corner entry. The release of the pedal must be very subtle - gentle and progressive to maintain balance. I do not call this trail braking.

2) A 911 typically understeers in slow (tight) corners and is relatively neutral in fast corners. A good driver will trail brake a 911 to eliminate the understeer. In such cases, we release he brake pedal in the same subtle and gentle way, but later in the turn - often right up to the apex. In a GT3 I trailbrake into any corner I enter in 2nd and most taken in 3rd at mid revs. Really fast corners (high revs in 3rd or 4th gear) usually need only a lift to get the nose in.

Best,
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Matt is correct. David is perhaps the "King" of TBs. Actually he does feel that every corner should be handled this way. I personally love this approach and watched the times go down each session with him in the car and especially with further practice since.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob Has spoken I am satisified. Makes sense to me no need to Change Colors!!!!LOL
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

no offense to anyone in here.. Buri don't think there is a corner on any track I drive that I don't trail break into, it helps me compress brake zone for my lower up car get front end bite them go

In fact couple of turns I left foot break still balancing throttle ..... But matt e. I'm not giving ip that LOL secet !!!

Hope this helps

Slow in fast out.... But you can be slow in ... In the wrong place... Takes some time to feel comfortable doing it bet when right u will love it!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I had David Murray give me some instruction at VIR earlier this month. He wanted me to trailbrake into almost EVERY turn. I have some practicing to do!
Same here, at PDE a couple of years ago Dave told me to TB on every turn, "if you're not trail braking, you're not road racing".
Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've found it very difficult to trailbrake in the GT3 with PASM because the slip becomes so unpredictable. I still use some TB on the GT3 but it's much easier with my 993 with the Motons - very predictable. When I TB I usually use it right up until I turn-in, releasing on turn-in, or in a real tight corner, actually turn with the brake still applied and release for the sharp rotation.

Quick Reply: How much do you trail brake when tracking?