Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking of changing marks to a GT3 | Need advice | Please share your experiance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007 | 02:08 PM
ninekrpm
AutoX

Post Thinking of changing marks to a GT3 | Need advice | Please share your experiance

Hello folks…

I am contemplating towards changing the mark and moving into a P-Car. For the past three years, I have enjoyed chasing GT3’s driven by good drivers or being chased by GT3's in my E46 M3.

I had an 05 competition M3 (i.e. stripped down CSL teaser for the US) with about 35K invested in it. Every mod was well thought-out to make the car lighter, faster and address any weak points that the M3 offers for an extreme track junky.

The list included:

- CSL CF body treatment (gtr hood, cf roof panel, csl deck)
- RPP seats
- Rear seat delete with a CF panel
- Complete Moton Clubsport coilover suspension – 700 / 750 spring rates
- Headers, exhaust, SW, etc…
- Clutch / flywheel upgrade
- Radiator upgrade, Oil cooler upgrade, etc…
- BBK
- Cams
- And many other misc. weight saving and performance items

The car was producing 305 BHP to the wheels while weighing in at 3040 lbs with a ½ tank of gas and fluids. Needless to say, the car was a blast to drive.

Anyhow, the car recently became part of road-america’s history as I made a mistake at THE KINK (turn 11) – still a sensitive subject

I recently sold the car as is with all oem parts and have been able to hold on to all my aftermarket parts.

So here is my situation…I currently live in Chicago. The car was a weekend / summer driver and has averaged 25 - 30 track days each year since 05.

So I am contemplating at this point if I should just get another E46 M3 and move all my aftermarket parts to it. I can find a good one over the winter and re-build it through the winter.

Or do I change marks and make my way towards the next step and move into a GT3. Though I have never driven one, I absolutely fascinated by the GT3. I can easily sell my aftermarket parts and recoup at least 70% of my purchase price and move the $$$ towards a new 08 GT3 purchase.

That said, I know that the GT3 gives you the best of the track world immediately out of the box. But really, how much truth is there to this statement or is this a marketing statement. How many people out there continue to track their GT3’s without addressing any weak points? If so, what are these weak points?

For example, in the M3 world, it is very common to have your subframe reinforced, replace all suspension and tranny bushings, install camber arms to improve alignment specs, install thicker sways, etc…

I did all of this as part of my M3 build.

I am simply trying to understand, if the GT3 has any weak points in these area or an area that I may have not mentioned. I know that every car has wear and tear items; however, I found that the M3 needed improvements in all of these areas fairly quickly.

So please educate me and share your experiences. I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and advice on this discussion.

P.S. I currently live in Chicago; however, will be moving to California over the winter. I have talked to all Chicago dealers and no one has an allocation available to build one for 08. They are all simply being poopers. I would only want 3 options on my car (chrono w/pcm, xenon lights and sound) with white being my exterior color.

Also, I would do the Euro delivery option so that I can drive the car across Germany (hint – hint).
Old 10-28-2007 | 03:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

If u dont have an allocation yet, b prepared to pay over msrp.
I have had many m cars and 4 gt3's. Out of the box there is NO comparison not even close and i am a bimmerhead too.

Gt3 has non of those weaknesses commonly associated with m3's.

Sure, moton cs which i had on my e36 and 6gt3will help, but it is not as necessary as on m cars.

Go drive a few 3's. They drive very differently than bmw's. Some of my bimmerhead friends never got used to gt3 and sold quickly while others loved p cars and dumped all their highly modded e46 with jrz triples, largerotor blah. Lah

Good luck.

If u move to nor cal, we'll see each other on track every other week!
Old 10-28-2007 | 08:56 PM
spare tire
Racer

I know of two modded M3s that play at Autobahn. Are you one of them with stickers and decals like a race car? Ask the guys you have been chasing all year. The driver means more than the mods or set up in a GT3. Just get a good alignment and go out and play.
Old 10-28-2007 | 09:33 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

listen to mooty he has said it well!

i will be back out your way mooty few weeks to see my new ...ummm lets say expiriement
Old 11-03-2007 | 12:14 AM
ninekrpm
AutoX

Originally Posted by mooty
If u dont have an allocation yet, b prepared to pay over msrp.
I have had many m cars and 4 gt3's. Out of the box there is NO comparison not even close and i am a bimmerhead too.

Gt3 has non of those weaknesses commonly associated with m3's.

Sure, moton cs which i had on my e36 and 6gt3will help, but it is not as necessary as on m cars.

Go drive a few 3's. They drive very differently than bmw's. Some of my bimmerhead friends never got used to gt3 and sold quickly while others loved p cars and dumped all their highly modded e46 with jrz triples, largerotor blah. Lah

Good luck.

If u move to nor cal, we'll see each other on track every other week!

Thanks for the feedback; another questions...how does the pasm work? by changing the settings, is it simply change rebound / compression on the dampers...is there such a thing?

Also what are stock spring rates for a 997 GT3?

BTW...I am looking forward to moving out west - preferably nor-cal.
Old 11-03-2007 | 12:16 AM
ninekrpm
AutoX

Originally Posted by spare tire
I know of two modded M3s that play at Autobahn. Are you one of them with stickers and decals like a race car? Ask the guys you have been chasing all year. The driver means more than the mods or set up in a GT3. Just get a good alignment and go out and play.

my car was silver / grey with black wheels and a black cf CSL roof. I had no decals on it. They one you may be referring to is Ryan's. It is silver / blue and displays a 46 decal on it.
Old 11-03-2007 | 12:18 AM
ninekrpm
AutoX

so how does one get an allocation at msrp?

would it be easier to get an allocation at msrp for a 2009 now and wait the year out for a late 2008 delivery?
Old 11-03-2007 | 02:10 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ninekrpm
Thanks for the feedback; another questions...how does the pasm work? by changing the settings, is it simply change rebound / compression on the dampers...is there such a thing?
it's continually changing by the computed. it's not a constant soft/hard. it's not the best, but it's fine out of the box. when you dip below 1:59 with r compounds on otherwise fully stock 7gt3 (thunderhill), they you are ready to put motons on it. my suspension guru drove my car and told me until i hit 1:58 (a lot of 6gt3 cup are only running 1:55, non pro's obviously) he will not install those on my car, LOL. and of course, he had no prob getting that lap time in my car.

Also what are stock spring rates for a 997 GT3?
i dont have that info., sorry.

BTW...I am looking forward to moving out west - preferably nor-cal.
you do know that n. cal is the BEST place to be on the western hemisphere.
Old 11-03-2007 | 02:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

so how does one get an allocation at msrp?

would it be easier to get an allocation at msrp for a 2009 now and wait the year out for a late 2008 delivery?
there are no 2009 gt3.
to get msrp.. old customers who bought a lot and/or you got your name on the list 6-10 months ago.
Old 11-03-2007 | 12:47 PM
ninekrpm
AutoX

there are no 2009 gt3.
to get msrp.. old customers who bought a lot and/or you got your name on the list 6-10 months ago.
no 2009 GT3 - why is that?
Old 11-03-2007 | 02:00 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

my suspension guru drove my car and told me until i hit 1:58 (a lot of 6gt3 cup are only running 1:55, non pro's obviously) he will not install those on my car, LOL. and of course, he had no prob getting that lap time in my car.
Mooty, 1:58 at TH is very impressive in a stock GT3. Who is your "suspension guru"?

you do know that n. cal is the BEST place to be on the western hemisphere.
+1 That's a pretty big swath of the planet...but you'd get no argument from me

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Back to the original question. One thought; if you can't find a good deal (MSRPish) on a 7GT3 you can probably find a 6GT3 at a good price, throw on a few mods - Moton/JRZ, race pads, etc.(or one that's already well sorted with all the requisite stuff) and have a very sweet GT3 experience probably pretty close to a 7GT3 for a lot less $$. Others on this site are better qualified to comment on this option since they've driven many variants. Just an option to consider.
But the 7 looks better hands down and is easier to live with on the street.
Old 11-03-2007 | 09:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

no 2009 GT3 - why is that?
no one REALLY knows why, you need to ask mr. w.w.
GT3's aren't made every model year.
speculation is there will be the NEXT GT3 in 2010 or later.
2008 production stops 12/2007.
Old 11-03-2007 | 09:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
One thought; if you can't find a good deal (MSRPish) on a 7GT3 you can probably find a 6GT3 at a good price, throw on a few mods - Moton/JRZ, race pads, etc.(or one that's already well sorted with all the requisite stuff) and have a very sweet GT3 experience probably pretty close to a 7GT3 for a lot less $$. Others on this site are better qualified to comment on this option since they've driven many variants. Just an option to consider.
But the 7 looks better hands down and is easier to live with on the street.
if you want 996gt3, i posted one for sale. that is one hell of a car. moton and all. it's ready to track.
Old 11-03-2007 | 11:50 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Own 04 M3 and 05 GT3 converted into an RS, everything carbonfiber.

The GT3 is a completely different car altogether, drive one first to see if it is right for you. The balance and weight of the car is in another league from the M3, the M3 comp is simply a normal M3 with tightened steering ratio, cross drilled brakes and a very minimally tweaked suspension.

Whereas the jump from a 911 to a GT3 is very large.

You will also find that the Porsche community is leaps and bounds ahead of the M3 community in terms of maturity, maybe not anymore though, and esp not on 6speed.
Old 11-04-2007 | 12:24 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

i went from an M3 with similar settup to a 997 GT3. I can't believe how much better this car is in every dimension. Its perfect out the box even with steel rotors. And as good as it is on the track, its so comfortable on the street still. Best of both worlds and well worth the price of admission.
Unfortunately you are late to the game and unless you find one that a customer turned down with the options you want, its going to be hard getting a new one at or near msrp. It still can be done I think but not easy.

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing marks to a GT3 | Need advice | Please share your experiance