Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking of changing marks to a GT3 | Need advice | Please share your experiance

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 12:30 AM
Jager
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Moogle
Own 04 M3 and 05 GT3 converted into an RS, everything carbonfiber.

The GT3 is a completely different car altogether, drive one first to see if it is right for you. The balance and weight of the car is in another league from the M3, the M3 comp is simply a normal M3 with tightened steering ratio, cross drilled brakes and a very minimally tweaked suspension.

Whereas the jump from a 911 to a GT3 is very large.

You will also find that the Porsche community is leaps and bounds ahead of the M3 community in terms of maturity, maybe not anymore though, and esp not on 6speed.
I completely agree with Tom. Check it out first. Especially a 6gt3, because it has no handling computers so you have to be comfortable walking the wire with no net, so to speak. Its not that bad for an attentive driver, but if you have it aligned aggressively and make a big booboo, you own it and you gotta figure out the solution fast. The 6gt3 on the track is a very engaging ride indeed.

There is a good discussion of 6gt3 and 7gt3 over on the 6gt3 thread. Also, the latest Excellence has some direct comparison comments.

There are a couple of what look like very well sorted 6gt3's out there right now, particularly the one Mooty points to. If you decide on gt3, personally, I would snap one of these up, because you would get one hell of a sweet track car, period. I'm sure Mooty would still run with you
Old 11-04-2007 | 01:10 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moogle
Own 04 M3 and 05 GT3 converted into an RS, everything carbonfiber.

The GT3 is a completely different car altogether, drive one first to see if it is right for you. The balance and weight of the car is in another league from the M3, the M3 comp is simply a normal M3 with tightened steering ratio, cross drilled brakes and a very minimally tweaked suspension.

Whereas the jump from a 911 to a GT3 is very large.

You will also find that the Porsche community is leaps and bounds ahead of the M3 community in terms of maturity, maybe not anymore though, and esp not on 6speed 996 Turbo forum.

+1 and fixed.

ninekrpm - I remember you from M3F. We exchanged PMs few times.

Anyway, another M3 and GT3 owner here. Most of the things that I wanna mention are already pointed out in previous posts. Best of luck on huting the new ride. You'll love it if you are into pure driving. I'm also hoping to upgrade to 997 GT3 in few years when prices are no longer crazy.
Old 11-04-2007 | 03:27 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Get the 6,there are some amazing deals to be had, especially now that it's winter on the east coast.

It's also better because it is said it is harder than the 7 (suspension/no sunroof/etc)

As long as you intend to use it as a weekend toy/trackday car, and not a daily driver, you will NEVER be disappointed, being used daily it can be a bit harsh, especially in traffic. On an open road, it is one of the finest automobiles ever made.

What needs to be said has been said, you will not regret it.

Here is mine:

Old 11-04-2007 | 09:50 AM
frayed
Race Car

Depends on what you are after. I would *never* do a heavily modded M3 for a dual purpose car again. There are simply too many compromises when relying on the aftermarket to address the many weak points of these cars for hard core track use while still leaving it street legal, increasing NVH, reducing durability, and killing resale.

The GT3 offers the best dual purpose track car on the planet, notably the 997 GT3. It is the factory's version of a dual purpose car, something that the aftermarket will never match in terms of integration and execution. However, it is and always will be a compromise. I've owned both GT3s and tracked both, though not as much as Mooty has done over the years. Like me, he also went down the path of E36 M3s (I never warmed to the E46 and stayed with the more communicative E36 chassis).

End of the day, I decided to move away from the dual purpose car approach and split money b/t a cool street car and a fast, well built track car. Particularly with tightening restrictions on insurance, I came to the conclusion that I would not risk a 120k street car on track and decided to build a car that would ruin my weekend if I balled it up, but wouldn't ruin my year.

If you must have a true dual purpose car, the GT3 is it. No question. But if you need plates only to get to the track, then I'd get a used 6GT3 and slap some Motons, pads and toyos on it and proceed to learn to drive all over again as you start the rear engine learning curve.
Old 11-04-2007 | 10:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
Depends on what you are after. I would *never* do a heavily modded M3 for a dual purpose car again. There are simply too many compromises when relying on the aftermarket to address the many weak points of these cars for hard core track use while still leaving it street legal, increasing NVH, reducing durability, and killing resale.
like the noise from shortened rear end and useless first gear?
Old 11-04-2007 | 10:29 AM
frayed
Race Car

I don't think the diff is a problem in the e46, it is though in the e36 imo.

I reread the OP. He said 35k into a 55k car. Better off with an 6gt3 with seats, hoop, tires, and pads, motons, toe links for the same or less money IMO.
Old 11-04-2007 | 10:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
I don't think the diff is a problem in the e46, it is though in the e36 imo.

I reread the OP. He said 35k into a 55k car. Better off with an 6gt3 with seats, hoop, tires, and pads, motons, toe links for the same or less money IMO.
yes, i was talking about my e36 diff.

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing marks to a GT3 | Need advice | Please share your experiance