Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LWFW

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 PM
DanP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
the motor stays in. My dealer did the job for me on my 996 GT3. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up the day during lunch.
Not sure if things are different on a 996... both Norman and I "wasted" enough of our working hours today on this topic and at least 2 of the 3 local dealers, plus another friendly dealer, confirmed that Porsche states that the engine be dropped and the book for the job is 15 hrs.

I personally still think it is a reasonable mod considering it is fully OEM and without warranty issues.

At this rate I expect that my car will be in the shop within days. While its there I might as well ask them for a track alignment, any specific tips for that or just go to spec?

And anything else at all to do while the car is there? 1k miles, change the oil? Upgrade the brake fluid?

At this stage I am just planning a few DE events with this car, depending on my comfort level with it after that it may or may not become my track car - in which case it would get a full cage.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 AM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Just to avoid confusion: my friend "DanP" gave me his account years ago but this tends to cause confusion when I meet members so I registered today under my own name.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, I paid about $1,200 for parts from Sunset. Dealer was doing the RMS at the same time but said the 996 tranny could be removed with the motor in place but the GT3 has different tranny and he usually took the engine/tranny out in one piece due to reassembly alignment issues. Oil cooler gets in the way? I'm guessing it can be done either way, it's a matter of taking the time up front or fighting with possible alignment issues doing it piecemeal.

Bottom line........great mod. Can only hear the noise when the windows are down, sitting in traffic. Would definately do it again.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:26 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

So would this be an easy 97 mod during an RMS repair or are their no overlapping steps?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 96 it was a direct replacement with $0 labor cost to me to do the switch during the RMS replacement.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayGT3
On my 96 it was a direct replacement with $0 labor cost to me to do the switch during the RMS replacement.
Good to know, it is only a matter or time then.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
normank
Racer

I brought the car in for the LWFW upgrade this morning. Will get it back Friday. Standby for update.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM
ryanawesome
Advanced

porsche says engine has to be dropped. There is a bracket on top of the transmission for what i understand is to prevent the engine and transmission from moving into the passenger compartment in the event of an accident. much like the steel cable on non gt3's. This bracket creates large clearance issues. Also when installing the lightweight flywheel a longer "clutch fork" which is what actually pulls on the release bearing must be installed. when doing this it is much more difficult to keep the fork in line when installing the crossshaft for the clutch fork itself. there is also a large possibility of broken parts when attempting to remove the transmission by itself due to stresses put on parts in ways not figured into the design. Non gt3' transmission can be removed by itself no problem. But when dealing with very expensive and cherished cars there is no reason to attempt to cut corners as far as im concerned.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 AM
normank
Racer

That is the same information that I got from the dealer doing the install and after the fact from the dealers that came in at lower prices initially. Better to do it right the first time.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanawesome
porsche says engine has to be dropped. There is a bracket on top of the transmission for what i understand is to prevent the engine and transmission from moving into the passenger compartment in the event of an accident. much like the steel cable on non gt3's. This bracket creates large clearance issues. Also when installing the lightweight flywheel a longer "clutch fork" which is what actually pulls on the release bearing must be installed. when doing this it is much more difficult to keep the fork in line when installing the crossshaft for the clutch fork itself. there is also a large possibility of broken parts when attempting to remove the transmission by itself due to stresses put on parts in ways not figured into the design. Non gt3' transmission can be removed by itself no problem. But when dealing with very expensive and cherished cars there is no reason to attempt to cut corners as far as im concerned.

since i'm not a motorhead, i cannot comment on the above but since i have had the lwfw installed on my gt3 by a porsche tuning shop called Gtek in toronto (owner's name is jack - ph# is 416.755.7884) - i can tell you they had no problem putting in the lwfw just by removing the tranny (no engine pull)

- so,if you want to call someone who has actually done it and has been working on and racing porsche's for most of his life give him a call
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM
racing97
Banned

We change out the clutch discs on Cup cars almost weekly and only drop the Trans, takes about 5 hrs if you are loafing. On occasion a street 996 for a LWF and it tool about 4 maybe 5 with a trans jack.

regards
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
since i'm not a motorhead, i cannot comment on the above but since i have had the lwfw installed on my gt3 by a porsche tuning shop called Gtek in toronto (owner's name is jack - ph# is 416.755.7884) - i can tell you they had no problem putting in the lwfw just by removing the tranny (no engine pull)

- so,if you want to call someone who has actually done it and has been working on and racing porsche's for most of his life give him a call
At this point, I would be more interested in hearing your driving experience with the LWFW conversion. Did you notice a dramatic difference? On the street? On the track? Do you think it was worthwhile and worth the cost?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM
ryanawesome
Advanced

gt3north -

I never said in my post it couldnt be done. Im just relaying what porsche says has to be done as well as some of their reasoning.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
normank
Racer

It's in. It sounds great. On the street it's much more responsive. It chatters a little with the clutch out in neutral, but you can only hear it inside the car, so you can enjoy it and not disturb your neighbors (as if that was the primary consideration). Up and down on the revs it is dramatically faster. Final test will be on the track. For those of us who do not need to delete the A/C, Sun Roof, Nav, Chrono, Sound System, and every other thing associated with creature comfort, this and maybe lighter wheels look like good starting mods. That and learning to drive better, smoother, faster. There are no trophies at DE events. It's all about having fun and being safe. Just one man's opinion.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by normank
It's in. It sounds great. On the street it's much more responsive. It chatters a little with the clutch out in neutral, but you can only hear it inside the car, so you can enjoy it and not disturb your neighbors (as if that was the primary consideration). Up and down on the revs it is dramatically faster. Final test will be on the track. For those of us who do not need to delete the A/C, Sun Roof, Nav, Chrono, Sound System, and every other thing associated with creature comfort, this and maybe lighter wheels look like good starting mods. That and learning to drive better, smoother, faster. There are no trophies at DE events. It's all about having fun and being safe. Just one man's opinion.
Congrats Norman, you sound happy with the result. What did you end up paying, and was it worth it? Did the engine come out?

What I love most about the LWFW is how instantly the engine blips on downchanges. It's like blipping a motorcycle. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: LWFW