Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Adjust sway bars to reduce understeer and roll?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adjust sway bars to reduce understeer and roll?

**Edit** It seems like the swaybar is maxed out stiffness for the rear, so can't change understeer as I would have liked by just adjusting swaybars.

Has anyone given this a shot? I would like also to reduce body roll at the same time.

1) To reduce body roll, would it be enough to move both f/r mounts one position inward?
2) To decrease understeer, make the front softer than the rear

So the net is to move the rear swaybar in by 2 positions and the front in by 1.

Would this work? Why/why not?

Last edited by NSXTC; 10-05-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

To reduce understeer (when adjusting sway bars only), you need to soften the front or stiffen the rear. To soften move the link to a hole which is closer to the free end of the sway bar. If you move both one position "inwards" , you will be stiffening both, which may not correct your oversteer issue.

When changing mine around, I went center/center for a session, then adjusted them from there in proceeding sessions to correct for over/understeer until I got them to where I wanted.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 PM
NSXTC
Racer

So can I ask what are your settings to stiffen body roll whilst reducing understeer?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Stiffer bars equals less roll. To stiffen move the bar upward. In other words fewer holes between the mount and the bar equals stiffer.
Under steer is mitigated by the difference between the settings of the bars. Minimum understeer is with front full soft and the rear full stiff

Note on roll, some roll is not a bad thing. Roll adds grip to the outside tires. In the wet,roll stifness will reduce grip.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default roll and understeer

I've been very successful with one hole from full stiff in front and full soft in the rear. Try it, you'll like it. Lots of hook up in the rear, much less understeer in the front.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 AM
ChrisGB
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang on, won't full stiff front and full soft rear give you MAX understeer?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisGB
Hang on, won't full stiff front and full soft rear give you MAX understeer?
YES it will give MAX understeer. Best advice is start with neutral(center setting) bars and adjust from there. Just because someone else is running their bars a certain way, doesn't mean that will be correct for your car (even though same model) and driving preference. There is camber,toe,PASM setting, tires brand,size, pressure, etc (duh)... which also contribute.

I ran my bars similiar to sasportas for a while while running Toyos R888s. I then ran a set of Hoosiers, and the car had a lot of push, so I adjusted the front bar from full stiff to full soft and they worked great. Going back to the Toyos I adjusted again (but found I liked a stiffer setting than the original full soft)
Old 10-06-2007, 12:40 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Well, I feel a little push on the MPSCs on the street. I'm gonna increase tire pressure in the rears a couple of lbs first to see how that goes then make incremental adjustments afterwards. Maybe soften the fronts up too.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default push

Yes I agree. Adjusting the roll bars does depend on tires and camber. I'm running the MPSC with -2.4 camber front. I think that the spring rates that come stock also factor into the equation as well as if you run the car with the sport PASM setting. Lots of variables to say the least. For some reason though, the car likes a softer rear bar. Puts down traction great. Of course this will lead to some push.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NSXTC
Well, I feel a little push on the MPSCs on the street. I'm gonna increase tire pressure in the rears a couple of lbs first to see how that goes then make incremental adjustments afterwards. Maybe soften the fronts up too.
Whoa there! Are you adjusting your handling for street or for the track? Steet driving is a way different ballgame, simply because its very, very difficult to get your tires up to operating temperature, especially MPSC's. FWIW
Old 10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
NSXTC
Racer

LOL...Well, it's agressive street driving. Went out to the mountains with a dozen of P cars today. Had 28F and 34R and feels better. The MPSCs were somewhat to temp. Saw a 5 psi increase when we were midway through our spirited drive. Taking the car to El Toro (abandon airport) in a couple weeks. Will have a better sense of handling then. I'll bring the tool kit and make incremental changes.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my hands this car understears like a pig. I have been preety happy with full stiff rear and full soft front. Any other setting had way too much understearing.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Stephan
Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Thanks Stephan,

I'll try the full soft up front and let you know.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stisseront
In my hands this car understears like a pig. I have been preety happy with full stiff rear and full soft front. Any other setting had way too much understearing.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Stephan
Welcome to the world of the 997GT3/RS

18" wheels with MPSC's 235/40-18 and 315/30-18 help but it still comes down to driving style and "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"
Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by Racerron
Welcome to the world of the 997GT3/RS

18" wheels with MPSC's 235/40-18 and 315/30-18 help but it still comes down to driving style and "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"
Wouldn't wider tires in the rear give it more understeer?

I notice with your setup, the fronts are 40 profile which will have more sidewall flex (vs. the 35 profile on stock). I could see how this could reduce understeer, but the larger rear would negate this. As a result, you would be where you started.

Quick Reply: Adjust sway bars to reduce understeer and roll?