Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Safe Jack Stand location for an RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 07:15 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Default Safe Jack Stand location for an RS

Need some help. Where would be a safe location to put a jack stand underneath an RS?

I can fit my jack at the jack point and lift it safely but not sure where to put the stands.

Any visuals would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2007 | 07:38 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Here's some pics from mooty...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/381462-after-495-track-miles.html

The way I did it was put lift under the rear, then jacked it up until you can fit a stand under the front.
Repeat on the other side for the other front.
Now you have the front on stands.
I heard you're not supposed to, but I think (I hope) it doesn't apply for dry sump, but I put a jack under the split case and jacked up the rear.
Then I quickly slid the stands under the rear points.
BTW, used hockey pucks all around.

If someone has a better method, please share. I really don't like using the case as the lift point.
Old 09-30-2007 | 10:30 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

CDOC is now selling a bracket to use for jacking up the 997 series by the motor. I ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet. They are selling it under their DAS brand.
Old 09-30-2007 | 11:16 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

trust Sears...
Old 09-30-2007 | 12:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lawjdc
CDOC is now selling a bracket to use for jacking up the 997 series by the motor. I ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet. They are selling it under their DAS brand.
i thought that's for wet sump motors as the engine belly is flat and you can't jack there (like my old 996c2).

most of the cup car guys jack right on the split case (when not using air jacks), i think all the 964 and 993 guys do the same, no?
Old 09-30-2007 | 01:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I need those jack pads that we had on the forum a while back that fit into our slots. Anybody have the link for those? thanks!!
Old 09-30-2007 | 01:48 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I need those jack pads that we had on the forum a while back that fit into our slots. Anybody have the link for those? thanks!!
OG, there are no "*****" on the 997's!?
Old 09-30-2007 | 02:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have never had a **** in MY car. But there are slots in the jack points.
Old 09-30-2007 | 03:30 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

There are some jack pads on this page. One for a ****, I mean slot!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...MISCLL_pg4.htm
Old 09-30-2007 | 04:55 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by pdxjim

Wow, $73 bucks for one jack pad? 4 hockey pucks cost me $4.00. I guess you get what you pay for when it's for a ****, I mean slot.
Old 09-30-2007 | 06:00 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim

one, if these pads are to "STAY" on the car by wedged into the holds on the jack stand area, they WILL fall off you drive the damn car hard.

two, what you really want is jack a hocky puck. they work really really well.

three, instead of thinking of what pads to use, buy the RIGHT floor jack. i ahve seen some cheap jacks ppl use that i would not trust to use on any cars i own. some dont have to right jack plate and lead to cars slipping off.

four, get the right jack stands. AC hydraulic make the BEST stands for our cars. if your car slips off these stands, God help you.
Old 09-30-2007 | 06:26 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Allegreto, I bought that lift and secure jack from sears. It's great. The only problem is of course the RS is too low to fit it under the car. I had to first jack up the front right wheel to get enough clearance to put the lift and secure jack under the right rear.

Anyone find a trick to get the car up a few more inches to use something like the lift and secure jack?
Old 09-30-2007 | 07:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by daedton
Allegreto, I bought that lift and secure jack from sears. It's great. The only problem is of course the RS is too low to fit it under the car. I had to first jack up the front right wheel to get enough clearance to put the lift and secure jack under the right rear.

Anyone find a trick to get the car up a few more inches to use something like the lift and secure jack?
drove your car over onto a piece of 2x8, 2x6 is too narrow, and voila, you can get a low profile jack under car.
Old 09-30-2007 | 09:19 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daedton

20 years ago I bought a SafeTjack that is the exact same design as the Sears jack mentioned. The company went out of business, but I've rebuilt the cylinder several times and still use it. I use the factory jack to get started, then switch to the SafeTjack just like you do.
Old 10-01-2007 | 09:10 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

?? My aluminum Craftsman Race jack fits under my RS no problem. It is very close but it still gets under there. I jack from the rear and put one stand under the front point and the other under one of the heavy aluminun structural parts in the rear. Go to the other side and repeat. I need to go back and forth a few times to get it high enough for a creeper.

Edit, my jack has a rubber thingy inside the cup. The cup fits around the jack point and the only thing that hits is the rubber thingy. I use a small mirror to locate the jack cup. No chance of the car slipping off the jack with the cup around the jack point.

Quick Reply: Safe Jack Stand location for an RS