Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to buy a new Cup car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:19 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

So after all the denials, deleted threads and verbal beatings from the "true" porsche owners you still went ahead and flipped it. too funny...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
So after all the denials, deleted threads and verbal beatings from the "true" porsche owners you still went ahead and flipped it. too funny...
Jim, what happend - why did you sell your beloved RS??
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

It is this type of bottom feeding type of pot stiring **** that people like you start that really makes me wonder what you do with your life that you know everything that is done and why. Denials, I have never denied anything on this site. Deleted threads? WTF. True Porsche owners would might use a cap in the name. Flipped it? Frayed sold his car to buy a BMW and a house still no ****. I sell to buy one maby tow cups and a race set up and you come at me. To funny? What like I amuse you funny, or what. You are the thing that I have wondered about since I have joined this forum. What is it about you that leads you to judge the goings on and to think for a second you have a grip on the deal? Well, Jason you know nothing and if you would just ask instead of telling you would know. Sorry for you and others around you I am sure.

Jim Huber

Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Jim, what happend - why did you sell your beloved RS??

I did not like the car. It was to BLING. I have decided after reading a lot on line that I am going to buy 1 or 2 cup cars and support to go to the race track. Everyone on line that runs this type of car loves it and I did not want to take a rare and limited car and cut it up. The best choice was to sell it and start to look for the Cup or Cups. Thank you for asking and not acting the way others act on this forum.

Jim Huber
Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

You shouldn't have to explain your choices to anyone...too many people on this site want to judge what others do with their cars. When I like a car I buy it...and when I am done with it I sell it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhuber
I did not like the car. It was to BLING.

Jim Huber
Jim,
Sorry you sold it. I agree some of the colors can be loud. In the end, I went with white/black and I really don't think I get much attention. Without the graphics it would be even less. Certainly less than I did when I had my Viper GTS.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by richk
You shouldn't have to explain your choices to anyone...too many people on this site want to judge what others do with their cars. When I like a car I buy it...and when I am done with it I sell it.

Word! I think so many people live out the process of buying and selling and racing ect. through others on this site becarse they lack what it takes. I knew the car was not the right car.

Jim Huber
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon70
Jim,
Sorry you sold it. I agree some of the colors can be loud. In the end, I went with white/black and I really don't think I get much attention. Without the graphics it would be even less. Certainly less than I did when I had my Viper GTS.

By BLING I mean really not a race car more of a country club show off pice to show BIFF who has the most nice car. I just want to buy a track car and not a track-street car.

Jim Huber
Old 09-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally understand Jim. Were you not "flipping" it for a race car, I might feel differently, 'cause I find myself always blowing all my surplus car fund on nice street cars, when what I really want is a race car. However, the 3 and the RS are awesome DDs. My hope is to get a race car in 18 mos when the 3 is off lease, and to keep the RS as the long term DD/fun car. My other issue is not just buying a race car, but the storage/maint/ and mostly the time away from my family...hopefully in a couple years.

Have fun
Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

Kind of thought you were not going to like the pimped out RS....def. go for the996 cup and drive the wheels off of it and wait for the 997 cups to become more readily available at a good price.... a sorted out car is much more enjoyable to learn to drive in than trying to drive without experience and not be able to tell if a new car is right or not....walk before you run, Jim....
Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim,
I got to admit I thought the same thing after all those posts worrying about every detail all the heat you took and you sell it in one month? WHen you post all that you open yourself up to criticism. I dont have the money to do that. My GT3 is my dream car. So when someone posts all that stuff for 3/4 of a year only to sell it in a heart beat then you have to wonder.

Jim on to your race car. Glen is an expert and your trip will be greatly shortened if you call him and let him help. Be thankful he is around and offering help! Robins advice on new is excellent! race cars are different. If you buy new there will be alot less knowledge about how to run the car right. If you get a 6 Cup with all the yearly upgrades you will inherit a WEALTH of knowledge with it. To use a Naval analogy a brand new battleship requires many "shakedown cruises" to get it battle ready. A 5 year old battleship is much more capable than one straight out of the dry dock. in a couple years or so the newer one will be more capable but then a brand new one is coming out of dry dock.
Robin is right new is not better in this application. Plus you will save a bunch of money and be within .1s of seconds from a much more expensive 7 Cup.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

To continue the Nelson Touch - first time skippers get an established ship (or boat if you come from the dark side), once a skipper has a honed team of HODs, then he is given a new commissioning and a work-up cruise.

R+C
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Robin I work on the Aviation side of Naval warfare we call em boats!!!LOL!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

ha! I use a variation of the meatball to park cars perfectly in a tight garage.

No wonder your back is as much use as a cheese cracker!

R+C
Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Yes, I understand that I have changed direction. It is better to change direction than to gown with pride or mistakes. I do think the used cup is the way to go. I think it will as you talk about have the bugs worked out that I will not know how at first to work out. And the money difference is good. Thanks to everyone who has posted help and answers. I have learned over the past 3/4 year that what I thought I wanted when I was with out any information or time spent learning is not what I really want. If anyone is upset or thinks poor of the selling my car thing I can do nothing for you. I need a hobby that I can grow with that I like and that I can grow with for a long time not a suped up street car. The RS is nice but not that nice. For my money a GT 3 with 50K of performance and work is a far far better idea. This RS again is really nice but not because of performance just because what it is trying to be.

Jim Huber

Quick Reply: How to buy a new Cup car?