Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to buy a new Cup car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007 | 06:10 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Default How to buy a new Cup car?

Well all I have sold my RS. I want to buy a Cup car and do not know how and who to call about the purchace, dealer said they do not sell? The RS is not the car that I want to track. RS was nice but not the car for me. I have a trailer, truck, tools, ect.. I want a track car not a track-street. The used ones are a option but I need to know about the new pruchace with no miles.

Jim Huber
Old 09-27-2007 | 06:17 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Jim-

I'm just guessing here but I would suggest contacting one of the top race teams like TRG or Synergy and talk to someone there.

BTW how do you keep your dumptruck so clean? Ours are never that clean...
Old 09-27-2007 | 06:33 PM
carrera97701
AutoX

Porsche Motorsports North America
3203 South Shannon Street
Santa Ana, Ca. 92704
714 546 6939 ph
714 957-1386 fx
Then get in line behind "Current/ Active raceteams
Old 09-27-2007 | 07:06 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

If you are not racing, you may find the 996 Cup is better value than the 997 Cup.

The 996 Cup has a standard gearbox, iron rotors, the option for fewer carbon fibre parts and they are not getting snapped up by most of the top teams.

When buying, you should consider -

previous owners ('famous' cars are worth more and hold their value better)
can you negotiate an engine/drive train rebuild
avoid PCCB rotors - too expensive to replace unless racing at the top level
take as many race rims as you can get
buy any spares that are available that your mechanic approves
if video / data logging kit is for sale, buy it, particularly if Motec is on offer
avoid all cars with straigtened chassis
remember that shocks need rebuilding
get a second seat and belt
remove the spoiler before taking the car up steep ramps
negotiate parts upgrades to bring it up to latest evolution 996 Cup, minus the doors (cf)

take a current GT3 series mechanic with you to inspect the car, don't get stampeded, the is another one round the corner.

Get an ATV to tow a trailer that takes your N bottles, spare tyres, gas lines, on board jack locks, etc. This way you can set up anywhere, not just by your truck.

I haven't been following US prices. I don't think you 'need' a brand new 997, but you might 'want' one.

A nice thing to have is a proper fuel cell, if its up as a choice.

Don't let anybody put you off, you are doing the right thing, as long as you look after it.

R+C
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:10 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Well all I have sold my RS. I want to buy a Cup car and do not know how and who to call about the purchace, dealer said they do not sell? The RS is not the car that I want to track. RS was nice but not the car for me. I have a trailer, truck, tools, ect.. I want a track car not a track-street. The used ones are a option but I need to know about the new pruchace with no miles.

Jim Huber
There are several available. Message me if You need more info.
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:19 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Jim-

I'm just guessing here but I would suggest contacting one of the top race teams like TRG or Synergy and talk to someone there.

BTW how do you keep your dumptruck so clean? Ours are never that clean...
How so clean? Money, Time, attention to detail, wax, soap, ect. Well one of our business hallmarks is clean nice equiptment, people notice.

Jim Huber
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:26 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

If you dont have several years racing experience, the 996 GT3 cup car is a much better car than a 997 cup, as the 996 has excellent racing ABS brakes and is more cost effective to run. My 04 car just went to a new owner again, but Glen can probably find you a nice one.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:51 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by analogmike
If you dont have several years racing experience, the 996 GT3 cup car is a much better car than a 997 cup, as the 996 has excellent racing ABS brakes and is more cost effective to run. My 04 car just went to a new owner again, but Glen can probably find you a nice one.

Good luck!
I am of the school that I buy new. Always new when avaliable. I always know what I get that way. I see no reason to advance in yesterdays sled. Cost that is a personal thing. Reward is the only reason to do any of this, and the reward can be whatever you want.

Jim Huber
Old 09-27-2007 | 09:06 PM
Glen
Race Car

I am of the school that I buy new. Always new when avaliable. I always know what I get that way. I see no reason to advance in yesterdays sled. Cost that is a personal thing. Reward is the only reason to do any of this, and the reward can be whatever you want.

Jim Huber
Like I said, if You want one message me and we will begin the journey. You are choosing a difficult time but it still can be done. There are also several excellent used available, the new will be extremely difficult but could be done if you are willing to make the necessary commitments.
Old 09-28-2007 | 04:10 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I can see the attractions of 'new'.

However, this is a race car, Itas a differrent paradym.

Skilled race teams have spent years learning how to turn the car, as delivered by Porsche, into a race winning race car.

This process requires skill and judgement, both of which are honed by experience. It may surprise you to know that the cars that win the Supercup series sell for more than their cost, in large part because they have been sorted. Without experience, or access to experience, the car may never get sorted.

So don't write off cars out of the Supercup series, these guys are racing for almost $1,500,000, they keep the cars in perfect condition. Good news is, now is the time to buy a Supercup car, the season is over, they want to get their money out of the car and get the next one ordered. They have mechanics with the time to do whatever you have negotiated.

Good luck with whatever you do.

R+C
Old 09-28-2007 | 07:58 AM
easyC
Advanced

Jim we have never met, but do you know Ken Partymiller? He's in Georgetown and owns a 996 Cup Car. You may want to talk to him.
Old 09-28-2007 | 09:16 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I can see the attractions of 'new'.

However, this is a race car, Itas a differrent paradym.

Skilled race teams have spent years learning how to turn the car, as delivered by Porsche, into a race winning race car.

This process requires skill and judgement, both of which are honed by experience. It may surprise you to know that the cars that win the Supercup series sell for more than their cost, in large part because they have been sorted. Without experience, or access to experience, the car may never get sorted.

So don't write off cars out of the Supercup series, these guys are racing for almost $1,500,000, they keep the cars in perfect condition. Good news is, now is the time to buy a Supercup car, the season is over, they want to get their money out of the car and get the next one ordered. They have mechanics with the time to do whatever you have negotiated.

Good luck with whatever you do.

R+C
This sounds like great advice. Cars that have a history are far more interesting, and to a guy like me, valuable. Getting a plain Jane white one from the factory is kind of boring when there are cars out there you can find in pictures, videos, etc. Not to mention the raced cars usually have retained their livery which just makes them that much cooler.
Old 09-28-2007 | 09:18 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by easyC
Jim we have never met, but do you know Ken Partymiller? He's in Georgetown and owns a 996 Cup Car. You may want to talk to him.

No I do not know him. I would like to meet him someday. Are you in Lexington?

Thanks,

Jim Huber
Old 09-28-2007 | 09:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This sounds like great advice. Cars that have a history are far more interesting, and to a guy like me, valuable. Getting a plain Jane white one from the factory is kind of boring when there are cars out there you can find in pictures, videos, etc. Not to mention the raced cars usually have retained their livery which just makes them that much cooler.
+1

Seems like money is not so much the issue but still IMO i.e. used supercup car would be better choice, "new is new" but with this choice you'll get already sorted out vechile, in the end more interesting and a vechile that always will keep value better.
Old 09-28-2007 | 01:25 PM
easyC
Advanced

No I do not know him. I would like to meet him someday. Are you in Lexington?

Thanks,

Jim Huber

pm sent

Quick Reply: How to buy a new Cup car?