Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS: Cop Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS: Cop Magnet

On Monday night, I was driving down the Sprain Parkway in Westchester NY around 9PM, coming back from Cornell Law School in Ithaca, NY, where I had given a guest lecture. Route 17 along the way is notorious for speed traps, but I had made it safely through. I therefore thought I was safe, until I heard a quick "blip" from one of my front and rear-installed radar detectors/jammers, not enough to get real concerned, but enough for me to reduce my speed from 70 mph (in a 55 mph zone). A few more "blips", and (without hitting the brakes, but rather taking my right foot off the accelerator)my speed rapidly declined to 60 mph. I thought I was safe, until the "blips" turned into a constant siren, more or less immediately followed by the anonymous car behind be sprouting a "bubble top" that began its urgent blinking that signified that the constabulary wanted me to pull into the slow lane to let him through or that he was after me.
He was after me. I pulled over and waited for the inevitable insurance increasing ticket and points on my licence.
"Do you know why I stopped you?", says the cop.
"No, officer, I don't," says I.
"Well," says the officer, "I'm a Porsche fan, and when I saw your car I wasn't sure if it was a GT3 or a Carrera with an aerokit, and then I saw it was an RS and I couldn't believe it, so I stopped you so I could take a closer look!"
We then proceeded to have a very nice conversation and he wished me well and sent me on my way.
In all my years of driving nice cars (25 years and counting), including a Mercedes SL, three Aston Martins, two Turbos, two other 911 Cabriolets, a BMW M5, BMW M6, and a Carrera GT, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.
In case anyone wonders why the RS has consistently sold above MSRP, this is the best explanation I can come up with. The car is a star.
Regards,
Ray
'07 RS
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It certainly has that "rock star" effect.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Max Power
Racer

I would have said "so, you pulled me over, not for breaking the law, but for your own amusement?" and gotten his name and badge #

Your friendlyness is probably an asset. I would have been pissed.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Next time ask for a "get out of jail, free" pass for the next speed trap in lieu of your time and blood pressure!

I have to be a very obedient driver in the Green Monster. They follow me like flys.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Max Power
I would have said "so, you pulled me over, not for breaking the law, but for your own amusement?" and gotten his name and badge #

Your friendlyness is probably an asset. I would have been pissed.
Well, I actually HAD been speeding. As you all know, it is hard not to in an RS...

Ray '07 RS
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Magnet

I had a similar experience this summer in my white GT3. Officer did not use lights but very politely followed me into my office parking lot. He was very appreciative of my time and simple wanted to examine the car (he commented that he had seen it around town before). The officer then went on to tell me that he was also a big Porsche fan and owned a Boxster S. He was planing on selling the Boxster soon and buying an '08 GT3. I was impressed.

Needless to say, if you drive respectfully on the road (within 11 mph of the posted speed limit) - you'll probably not have problems with traffic officers. After all, most of them appreciate a nice Porsche.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

ditto hapened twice once at dui check point i was sobber of course but i was lil uptight while they kept walking around car..... i asked was there anything i could do for them after about 10 mins... they said you are free to go we just had to see this car! i laughed and said ill trade you a let you drive it for a get off a ticket deal right now... he said he would but supervisor was there he said im sure we will "catch up with you sometime soon.... lmao
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,408 Posts

i didn't get pulled over, but at a stop light, CHP pulled next to me and gestured me to roll down window and he wanted to chat about porsche, where and how much it is. when light turned green, he put the siren on so we can keep on talking and blocked traffic for about 3 min.

the orange/green cars do get a lot of attention, hence i speed rapidly on the on/off ramps, then merge into traffic slow down to no more than 5 mph over speed limit, set the cruise, and never change lane. i am a cop magnet in ANY car.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "RS" has to be the most visible car out there. It doesn't surprise me that they pull you guys over and let you off.(providing you weren't speeding excessively) It's kind of saying, "hey, I could have nailed you." Them being an enthusiast sure helps too. Cops are slightly intimidated by guy's they probably know are successful and most likely connected. An RS or similar car would suggest that that's the kind of guy driving it. That's my take. Anyway, it's nice to not get taxed again.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
vincentdds
Racer

The GT3 is a cop magnet as well.
BTW same thing happened to me while visiting UW campus a few of months ago.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Blackness
Pro

Other than the knots in your stomach, these are pretty cool stories. My dark colored, plain-jane 911 doesn't attract much attention. Which is mostly a good thing as far as the cops go.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentdds
The GT3 is a cop magnet as well.
BTW same thing happened to me while visiting UW campus a few of months ago.

OH MY GOD! Vince, I regret letting that car go EVERY SINGLE DAY. You're a smart, smart man for locking that one up. The options and price were perfect!

She is such a beauty.

I do not impress myself sometimes.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2kid
Well, I actually HAD been speeding. As you all know, it is hard not to in an RS...

Ray '07 RS
I believe it, I guess the regular plain Jane GT3 will be much easier to drive slow; it doesn't even come close to the RS model in performance. And can't believe the guy with the white one with the blue wheels was even noticed.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar thread occurred on the M5 boards but went in the direction of questioning whether or not the officer was abusing his power. I might have tried to be friendly as well but it doesn't change the fact that this was an abuse.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 AM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Let's take it easy with the abuse thing. The same cop might stop you some other day. If he recognizes you from the "abuse," there's a good chance he will be lenient. Especially if you take advantage of the "abuse" to explain that you bought that car to drive in its natural environment, the track, and that you find nothing exciting in driving it at 90mph instead of 70mph on the road. That you are an above average driver especially when it comes to being aware of your surroundings, and that the car may be going a little faster than the stated limit, but you are usually paying more attention to the road than the speedometer.
We may be the most deserving people in the World of what we have, but it does not hurt to share the joy. It may take the form of smiling to the guy taking a picture of the car, or discussing it with that cop. If you are really in a hurry, tell the cop you appreciate his interest but you have to be somewhere soon. If you're really lucky, he will open the road for you!

Quick Reply: GT3RS: Cop Magnet