Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How aggressive do you drive??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How aggressive do you drive??????

When at the track mainly. How often, if at all, do you get into the ABS? How about the rev limiter?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
When at the track mainly. How often, if at all, do you get into the ABS? How about the rev limiter?
Rev limiter - never. ABS - only when I've screwed up. But I'm slow.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Driving

This thread is sure to generate some interest. Let me say, without offending anyone here; if you have to ask about limits, then you're probably not taking full advantage of what the car has to offer.

That being said, I believe that I'm into ABS every lap at a track like the Glen. The ABS in these cars is slightly "soft" and unfortunately, if you run the Pilot Sport Cups that get quite soft after a few laps, you'll definitely be exploring the ABS. In fact, the ABS can be quite difficult to manage when the brakes don't seem to be slowing the car down (you'll actually have to get off the brakes slightly and then re-apply to slow the car down).

Rev limitter - I'm into the upshift light every lap (usually 3rd to 4th shift).

Please enjoy your car!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
ABS, yes, sometimes i brain fart and had to get on it hard.

rev limiter, if i am in chase mode, what rev limiter?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sasportas
This thread is sure to generate some interest. Let me say, without offending anyone here; if you have to ask about limits, then you're probably not taking full advantage of what the car has to offer.

That being said, I believe that I'm into ABS every lap at a track like the Glen. The ABS in these cars is slightly "soft" and unfortunately, if you run the Pilot Sport Cups that get quite soft after a few laps, you'll definitely be exploring the ABS. In fact, the ABS can be quite difficult to manage when the brakes don't seem to be slowing the car down (you'll actually have to get off the brakes slightly and then re-apply to slow the car down).

Rev limitter - I'm into the upshift light every lap (usually 3rd to 4th shift).

Please enjoy your car!!!!
what you said about mpsc is what i experienced as well. i feel the binders locked up the wheels, but tire isn't stopping (if that makes sense). no ABS judders, but something just felt weird and i dont have the usual stopping power. on RA1, the sensation never occur to me.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ABS in these cars suck! Sticky tires + good brakes + soft ABS + PASM = no stopping!

I am into ABS on almost every corner and it has caused me to miss my turn in many, many times. We are trying to resolve it by running a different pump. I would rather not have ABS than the ABS in these cars. Porsche really blew it on the 997 GT3 and RS with the ABS/PASM combo.

Yes, I am upset because it is unsafe and costing me a lot of money to resolve.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by grussell
The ABS in these cars suck! Sticky tires + good brakes + soft ABS + PASM = no stopping!

I am into ABS on almost every corner and it has caused me to miss my turn in many, many times. We are trying to resolve it by running a different pump. I would rather not have ABS than the ABS in these cars. Porsche really blew it on the 997 GT3 and RS with the ABS/PASM combo.

LOL, hey, i hope you wrote Porsche motor sport and are waiting in line for a 7 cup. you NEED it.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ABS on these cars is very different. on both of mine it is like the pedal pumps itself up and pushes back very hard. and stopping does not improve. but isn't the point of ABS to allow control, not to increase stopping power?

i'm not an expert on anything related to cars, so can you better characterize the danger here and how you are going about fixing it? also, how is the ABS different on your Cup in characteristics?

i used to get into my ABS more than i do now. having spent the day with a couple of very experienced race drivers i'm pretty convinced that going as deep as the car possibly can and standing on the brakes doesn't work as well for control and therefore lap times. but that's just me and everyone has their own style.

i'm not antagonizing here, just wanted to learn something

Oh, revlimiter. Very, very rare...shift light frequently!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
grussell
Pro

The 996 Cups have great brakes and ABS systems. You can brake very hard and late and ABS works in your favor shortening you stopping distances. The 996 Cup can out brake the 997 Cup with most drivers. If you get into ABS the brakes will pulse but braking pressure is never reduced and if you back off ABS backs out immedietely.

The 997 GT3 ABS does not act anything like the Cup's ABS or any other ABS I have experienced. When you brake hard enough to activate ABS the pulsating is very short and then the pedal is forced back at your foot and braking pressure is reduced to about 30 - 50%. It feels as if the brakes have failed. If you back out, it takes forever to allow full braking pressure again. The actual ABS pulse is very short and the computer takes over. You can even watch it from the side during testing. We did several full stops from 100mph and the car nose dives when you brake and then you can watch the nose lift back up after the computer takes over.

I have driven many ABS equipted cars and you can panic brake to a stop with the pulsating brakes. The tires will skip and fight for traction as the ABS pulses the brakes until you completely stop. Not so with the Porsche.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 91 Posts

And I thought I was the only one who did not like the way the ABS works on the 997 RS. It plain sucks! My 996 GT3's ABS was much better, and of course as grussell pointed out, the 996 Cup ABS is awesome. I rarely have induced ABS in the 996 GT3 or the 996 Cup.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, brutal comments about the ABS. I had a 996 GT3 and had no problems with the ABS. I now have a 997S and have to be careful not to get into the ABS. Talk about threshold braking. You have to threshold before ABS. Once I felt myself never stopping with ABS, I learned that fast.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Can you pull the ABS fuse without disabling other functions?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 997 GT3 ABS does not act anything like the Cup's ABS or any other ABS I have experienced. When you brake hard enough to activate ABS the pulsating is very short and then the pedal is forced back at your foot and braking pressure is reduced to about 30 - 50%. It feels as if the brakes have failed. If you back out, it takes forever to allow full braking pressure again. The actual ABS pulse is very short and the computer takes over. You can even watch it from the side during testing. We did several full stops from 100mph and the car nose dives when you brake and then you can watch the nose lift back up after the computer takes over.
sounds as though you and i agree about the feel. but tell me, do you think Porsche feels we have better control under these circumstances? at least for the street.

the reason i ask is that in spite of all the leering semi-oblique references to the racing aspects of GT-3/RS, it is still a street car, in several ways.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've hit the rev limiter when I have had attractive women in the right seat talking sexy to me over the intercom...

The ABS is strange on the 997 GT3, I agree with Allegretto's comment on the peddle just getting stiff and the car feeling like it's not going to stop.

However, I have PCCB and just converted to steel rotors, and one of the mechanics told me how they changed the programming in the ABS setting from the PCCB to the Steel rotor setting or something like that. I have to tell you, I like it a LOT better. Seems like I can take it right to the threshold of ABS with better control, or if I hit it, modulate out of it with control.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

If you are using it on track, use the Motorsport ABS, same as the 996 GT3 Cups. Don't muck around, don't reinvent the wheel.

R+C

Quick Reply: How aggressive do you drive??????