Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How aggressive do you drive??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
The 996 Cups have great brakes and ABS systems. You can brake very hard and late and ABS works in your favor shortening you stopping distances. The 996 Cup can out brake the 997 Cup with most drivers. If you get into ABS the brakes will pulse but braking pressure is never reduced and if you back off ABS backs out immedietely.

I have driven many ABS equipted cars and you can panic brake to a stop with the pulsating brakes. The tires will skip and fight for traction as the ABS pulses the brakes until you completely stop. Not so with the Porsche.
On the street, modern technique with ABS is to redouble the pressure on the brake pedal once you feel the pedal start to 'pulse'. This is what the testers and developers do. This is what the the driving schools in Germany teach. 4 channel ABS will pulse when the first wheel loses adhesion, there are 3 wheels which have not yet reached their limit of adhesion, hence it makes sense to brake harder. This is also what German driving courses, such as Audi and Porsche organise, teach and practice.

It can take a little practice to smoothly carry out a lane change under emergency braking conditions with ABS active, its worth doing and the aim is to react quickly and smoothly.

On track, the situation with ABS is a little different. The Motorsport ABS has different performance characteristics, better suited to the way race drivers drive race cars equipped with slicks. As its designed for tarmac racing, it isn't designed to deal with snow, gravel and all the other odd surfaces that abound the real world.

I have specifically interviewed the leading professional drivers in the Supercup about their use of the ABS on the 996 Cups.

In a sprint race, which the Supercup is, the general opinion is that if the ABS activates, you will have lost a little time, the aim is to drive the car so that it remains on the very limit before which the ABS cuts in. Three series champions have expressed this opinion. Bare in mind that these guys are talking about races held on immaculately surfaced tracks, wiuth th exception of Monaco, where 'strange things happen'.

The situation is a little different in Endurance racing at the Nürburgring. Races up to 24 hours in duration, very variable surface quality, frequently appalling weather, bumpy surfaces, the problems are a legion and legendary. Under these circumstances a Motorsport ABS is a godsend, street ABS and slicks in these circumstances are sub-optimal and not used even when it is the only alternative.

This information is based on my experience in continental Europe, none of it may apply in the US, but I don't see why it shouldn't. The major problem may be getting people to supply the motorsport ABS, the US proclivity for litigation concerns European suppliers.

However, please remember, my informastion is based upon the experiences of profressional race drivers, what they manage to achieve may not be as easy as others might hope.

R+C
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
On the street, modern technique with ABS is to redouble the pressure on the brake pedal once you feel the pedal start to 'pulse'. This is what the testers and developers do. This is what the the driving schools in Germany teach. 4 channel ABS will pulse when the first wheel loses adhesion, there are 3 wheels which have not yet reached their limit of adhesion, hence it makes sense to brake harder. This is also what German driving courses, such as Audi and Porsche organise, teach and practice.

It can take a little practice to smoothly carry out a lane change under emergency braking conditions with ABS active, its worth doing and the aim is to react quickly and smoothly.

On track, the situation with ABS is a little different. The Motorsport ABS has different performance characteristics, better suited to the way race drivers drive race cars equipped with slicks. As its designed for tarmac racing, it isn't designed to deal with snow, gravel and all the other odd surfaces that abound the real world.

I have specifically interviewed the leading professional drivers in the Supercup about their use of the ABS on the 996 Cups.

In a sprint race, which the Supercup is, the general opinion is that if the ABS activates, you will have lost a little time, the aim is to drive the car so that it remains on the very limit before which the ABS cuts in. Three series champions have expressed this opinion. Bare in mind that these guys are talking about races held on immaculately surfaced tracks, wiuth th exception of Monaco, where 'strange things happen'.

The situation is a little different in Endurance racing at the Nürburgring. Races up to 24 hours in duration, very variable surface quality, frequently appalling weather, bumpy surfaces, the problems are a legion and legendary. Under these circumstances a Motorsport ABS is a godsend, street ABS and slicks in these circumstances are sub-optimal and not used even when it is the only alternative.

This information is based on my experience in continental Europe, none of it may apply in the US, but I don't see why it shouldn't. The major problem may be getting people to supply the motorsport ABS, the US proclivity for litigation concerns European suppliers.

However, please remember, my informastion is based upon the experiences of profressional race drivers, what they manage to achieve may not be as easy as others might hope.

R+C
I agree with all of your points. We have the Motorsports unit in hand and will be installing it and testing soon.

The problem has been there all along but did not become a real issue until we put slicks on the car.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is very interesting. The standard ABS "SUPPOSED" to allow stopping much faster than humanly possible using standard pressure or brake "pumping", as we can't "pulse" the brakes as many times as the computer can. (I think it's like 30 times per second or something...you tech guru's please correct me) This, in turn should allow steering and control to continue at, of course, a diminished rate. I was able to use the Cayman S brakes (steel) with the ABS fairly effectively in Germany. I'm tracking the RS this weekend for the first time. I didn't get the PCCB's so I'll report next week if mine operate any differently when I get into the ABS.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Wow, this is very interesting. The standard ABS "SUPPOSED" to allow stopping much faster than humanly possible using standard pressure or brake "pumping", as we can't "pulse" the brakes as many times as the computer can. (I think it's like 30 times per second or something...you tech guru's please correct me) This, in turn should allow steering and control to continue at, of course, a diminished rate. I was able to use the Cayman S brakes (steel) with the ABS fairly effectively in Germany. I'm tracking the RS this weekend for the first time. I didn't get the PCCB's so I'll report next week if mine operate any differently when I get into the ABS.
Hmmm, I always thought ABS simply allows you to steer when you have the brakes full on. As far as straight line stopping, I always thought ABS actually increased the stopping distance a slight bit. Am I wrong?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marv
Hmmm, I always thought ABS simply allows you to steer when you have the brakes full on. As far as straight line stopping, I always thought ABS actually increased the stopping distance a slight bit. Am I wrong?

That's my understanding as well. It's about control, not absolute stopping power. But I suppose some want it the other way around since they feel they have better control themselves.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Under ideal circumstances, the ABS will allow the car to maximise retardation at each individual wheel. Almost always, this will improve the stopping distances of an ABS equipped car over a car without such equipment.

It is only on comparatively recent releases of the system that the steering assistance has been introduced.

Because there is so little driver education by professionally qualified driving instructors in the US, initially there was a great deal of misunderstanding as to what ABS actually does, and how to take advantage of it. At one stage, Detroit was taking ABS out of cars in favour of cup holders and sound systems. Now that there is a more general understanding of ABS, it is starting to reduce the severity of traffic accidents and it is being more widely accepted.

It doesn't matter how good a driver is, the driver cannot pulse as rapidly as the ABS can nor can they pulse each wheel individually.

Finally, when the ABS starts pumping, REDOUBLE the pressure on the brake pedal to make use of the total brake capacity.

R+C
Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Under ideal circumstances, the ABS will allow the car to maximise retardation at each individual wheel. Almost always, this will improve the stopping distances of an ABS equipped car over a car without such equipment.

It is only on comparatively recent releases of the system that the steering assistance has been introduced.

Because there is so little driver education by professionally qualified driving instructors in the US, initially there was a great deal of misunderstanding as to what ABS actually does, and how to take advantage of it. At one stage, Detroit was taking ABS out of cars in favour of cup holders and sound systems. Now that there is a more general understanding of ABS, it is starting to reduce the severity of traffic accidents and it is being more widely accepted.

It doesn't matter how good a driver is, the driver cannot pulse as rapidly as the ABS can nor can they pulse each wheel individually.

Finally, when the ABS starts pumping, REDOUBLE the pressure on the brake pedal to make use of the total brake capacity.

R+C
+1 Well, there ya go! My German friends certainly weren't bashful about the ABS when I was at Hockenheim. (what a blast!) I suppose a driver that was in perfect harmony with his car could brake shorter than an ABS system...if he did not skid at all. Once you begin a skid, it increases the braking distance. Hence, the purpose of the ABS. Anyone know of any actual comparison tests with pro drivers? Time to get out the cones!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by allegretto
That's my understanding as well. It's about control, not absolute stopping power. But I suppose some want it the other way around since they feel they have better control themselves.
I'm with you. I guess that's why so many drive older cars with less tech. For me, couple those excellent driving skills (which I lack greatly) with the latest tech and you should have terrific lap times.

Quick Reply: How aggressive do you drive??????