Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Turbo V RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
this is one of those questions that merely by being asked provides tha answer.

if you have tried both cars and can't make your mind up, then you are a Turbo person.

If a GT3 is in your future, you know that the instant you drive it.

R+C
i am am with Nordchleife here..... you know the first second you step on the gas or the turn in point of a apex the you will have a GT3
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
Why?
Sounds like a kid when you don't get the answer you like

You ordered a Black TT already right? Pulled the trigger? Get the confirmation and build date? If answered yes to any of those questions then what's the point of continuing on with the TTvsGT3 thread?

Next post should be what ECU, Exhaust, Suspension, Ipod Adapter should I get.

Sounds like you made up your mind with the Black TT comment.

Have fun and don't look back....

GT3 owners know why they have a GT3 and trust me its not because they are looking for street comfort or fastest car from light to light.

I would like to get a GT3 added on to my stable one day. I am sure I will - just got to save my pennies
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
vincentdds
Racer

If you have to decide between the two than the turbos is for you. Why not just buy the Shelby GT500 KR if you want to be "the King of Road"
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentdds
If you have to decide between the two than the turbos is for you. Why not just buy the Shelby GT500 KR if you want to be "the King of Road"
A Ford is simply a rolling chicane... most of the time.

Gentlemen, 99% of the time it is that easy... if you have to ask at all, then get the TT. That being because the driving dynamic is so different between the two 911's. Without a doubt, I favor the driving dynamic of the GT3 and if I lived at sea level I'd be driving a white one with cobalt blue rims right now. But there is a geographical circumstance that necessitates turbine boosted engines... and that circumstance is driving at ALTITUDE.

Every 1000 foot increase in elevation above sea level a GT3's glorious NA motor loses 11 horse power at the rear wheels. For me, I'd be down 55 RWHP in my driveway and down 88 RWHP on that best parts my favorite twisties. In real world terms that would mean that a 997 GT3 could not pass an asshead in a turbo Ford F-250 pickup with a boost chip at 8000 feet if the asshead felt like blocking the 997 GT3 from passing... and I CAN NOT HAVE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Therefore, turbo. Of course, there is the GT2....
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Without a doubt, I favor the driving dynamic of the GT3 and if I lived at sea level I'd be driving a white one with cobalt blue rims right now. But there is a geographical circumstance that necessitates turbine boosted engines... and that circumstance is driving at ALTITUDE.

Every 1000 foot increase in elevation above sea level a GT3's glorious NA motor loses 11 horse power at the rear wheels. For me, I'd be down 55 RWHP in my driveway and down 88 RWHP on that best parts my favorite twisties. In real world terms that would mean that a 997 GT3 could not pass an asshead in a turbo Ford F-250 pickup with a boost chip at 8000 feet if the asshead felt like blocking the 997 GT3 from passing... and I CAN NOT HAVE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Therefore, turbo. Of course, there is the GT2....
Yeah, about 3% power loss per 1k feet altitude. I live at 6000 feet - a loss of 70 hp and 50 lb-ft on my RS. Whenever I return to Johannesburg after a trip to the coast, I suffer withdrawal symptoms and depression for months. Yet the feel of the GT3 is in my blood, and I can't live without it. I tried the TT and it's just... well, boring. I need my daily fix of GT3. That hit of maniacal, howling thrust between 6 and 8k, a chassis that talks to you.... it feeds my soul.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently own a Lotus Elise and Exige S. I have also owned several Porsches including 996's, a Boxster, a 997 and Cayman S. I loved each and every one of my Porsches, with the 997 and Cayman S being my favorite. However, none of them compare to either of my Lotus cars, and I use these cars as daily drivers.

I have never driven a turbo or a GT3. I know for a fact that the GT3 is for me, and I have a Nov 11 build date for an '08 with just a couple of options. The Turbo no doubt is a great car, but it is not what I am looking for.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
In 2001, my brother owned a 993 TT. I went with him to the dealer one day to trade it for the new 996 TT. When we got to the dealer they had a few new Mk-I GT3s on the lot and suggested we try one of them. We said no, we'd heard they were uncomfortable and loud and anyway, at 6000 ft altitude, my brother wanted a turbo. "No problem", said the dealer, "we've got TTs, but just try a GT3 - you might like it." So we tried it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the decision to buy the GT3 rather than the TT was made in the first 100 yards of the GT3 test drive. Even at altitude, where it's decidedly slower than a TT.

So, yes indeed - If a GT3 is in your future, you know that the instant you drive it.

Agree 100%! I was test driving 996 Turbos, and tried a GT3. I knew almost before we left the parking lot I was going to buy the GT3. Haven't regretted the choice once in the three years I've had it.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh thats bull crap Yes the GT3 loses power but not that much- I can still blow away a f250 TD Easily
I take mine to mammoth alot and its just not that bad PLEASE dont generalize like that. I can feel the loss but its not like you state not even close.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Uh thats bull crap Yes the GT3 loses power but not that much- I can still blow away a f250 TD Easily
I take mine to mammoth alot and its just not that bad PLEASE dont generalize like that. I can feel the loss but its not like you state not even close.
Which of us is generalizing? I share my emprical data gathered from real life.

PLEASE do not assume that I do not have specific personal experience of a specific event on a up hill, two lane highway at 8000' altitude.

PLEASE do not assume that the laws of density altitude in naturally aspirated engines are not known, published, and unfortunately are approximately 11 RWHP per 1000 feet above sea level.

PLEASE don't crap on this messanger because the message does not fit your paradigm.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You are wrong thats why I crapped on the messenger
You SAID I couldnt pass a F250 TD thats BULL$Hit PERIOD How much more wrong can you be?
I drive a 997 GT3 in the Mammoth June Lake area all the time-I KNOW youre WRONG
I dont give a crap about your emperical data I am an engineer I know how much NA cars lose
at altitude and how well my Chevy TD2500 does at altitude at 8000 feet and YOU ARE WRONG!!!
there is no way to compare the two and my truck is chipped!!!
Maybe its your inability to pass.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbing through a copy of "How to win friends and influence people"....

somehow it seemed appropriate.

And now back to kindergarten playtime.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Youre right Bill
but when someone makes a stupid statement about a car they dont even have
to cause hate and discontent I can not let it pass- Hes a freaking pepper owner and is an expert on the GT3 at altitude. Then he tells me I am generalizing when I own the two vehicles he is talking about and live at 8000'
and he trys trys to tell ME I dont know what I am talking about.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
sdw999
Instructor

WOW!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:35 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

OldGuy, how often do you take your GT3 down to sea level? My car feels (and sounds) totally different down at sea level from up here at 6k feet. The difference is not slight, it's huge. I will admit, though, that the car is still very, very fast up here. But the physics says I lose 70 hp and 50 lb-ft, and I don't doubt it for a minute - it certainly feels that way.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 PM
RS 197
Pro

Isn't the air lighter at 8,000 feet. Seems that would acount for some of the power loss...

Just a thought.

I hunt every year in Colorado. We get to 11,000 feet. Although I do not drive a Porsche to hunt camp, I feel very little difference in the power of the Suburban going through the twisty's.....Maybe it is turbo charged?? At 3% per 1,000 feet it seems the car would only go about 50 MPH??? Must be the thinner air that makes up for it....

Quick Reply: Turbo V RS