Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

911 driving style. Any "official" reports?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 driving style. Any "official" reports?

After putting 6000 miles on my GT3 and going to several DEs I am still learning the most efficient way to drive such a peculiar car.

Is anybody aware of any articles by any reputable professional driver making reference to the most efficient and fast way to drive a modern 911, GT3 or not?

Thank you all
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Good tip: gas pedal is your friend. ;-)

If you find something, I'd like to read it as well.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this post for "unofficial" report:

W.Roehrl in rain on the Nuerburgring - funny vid

I also am interested.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW after driving a 993TT the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 I have lost the peculiar feeling-
it now feels natural.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

OG, I agree with you, however, for those that have yet to fully engage a 911 on the track it can be very intimidating. I for 1 was extremely nervous when I started driving my 993 on the track (I bought it so I could feel more comfortable driving my 997, whether on the street OR track...it was my 911-trainer)

I remember my head being filled with every objection regarding this car and it's weight balance - oh they are a handful. Oh your going to wreck it. Are you really going to drive that on track? You name it, I heard it.

I've found that the 911 (and I know 993 is a "tame" 911) is not very difficult to drive. Yes, it handled differently than a front-engine rear-drive car, but frankly I've never known the difference. I went from an AWD 4k lb beast to a light rear-engine hot-rod. And I love it. I love it being a handful. Might be nervous to one who is not familiar with the 911 and it's handling characteristics, but I love the car. I love how it drives. I love the challenge. And I love the marque.

I have found that I drive with gas a LOT. I basically throttle steer through every turn. And I try to resist doing a full lift in any situation, and I'm glad that I can get the car sideways through some of my hairiest turns and still stay in the gas. But like everything else, practice practice practice. I still have a lot to learn.

Funny note on P-cars and track...I had an E36 M3 owner joke with me the other day that he has noticed, every time he comes to the track...there's a point where he's under his car tinkering with something, fixing this or that and always has a wrench in his hand. He said whenever he looks at us pcar owners, we always have a (insert BEER, WOMAN, SMILE,... anything but a wrench).
Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best way to learn how to drive a 911 is to take some karting lessons. There are many karting clubs that will let you do a full practice session using sponsor karts in order to test them and most clubs also have training schools.

The weight balance on my CRG Heron F100 Yamaha kart was 40/60, pretty close to the 911 and the way you turn into corners is very similar as is the way you use the throttle and brakes to make the car do what you want rather than the steering wheel. It had 21hp @ 15,000rpm so it's no slouch either!

If you want to learn how to drive, don't bother with the shifter karts, there is too much going on and money becomes a factor; stick to a direct drive or clutch kart with a single gear. For a few thousand dollars, you can have the very best equipment and compete/learn with the same equipment as your competitors, no matter how much money they have.

You also look pretty cool racing them too:

Last edited by fc-racer; 09-11-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 911 driving style. Any "official" reports?