Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DMV'ing the RS's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DMV'ing the RS's

Well, i finally decided it was time to take the Orange and Silver RS over to NJ DMV to get the 4 year inspection stickers. A very good friend gave me a hand and we cruised over to the DMV.

Having driven the Turbo to the office in the morning, i finally got a great sense of the differences between the two. Its really amazing how dissimilar the two cars handle. They are both ridiculously nice, and while the Turbo is refined speed and quickness, the RS just evokes a kid-like smile. It carves turns, is far more stiff and diffuses less road chatter than the Turbo. It has a wildly live feel to it.

The exhaust and the sound, the whine from the engine is addictive. I dont even like to turn on the stereo when i'm really driving since i love the sound of all Porsche engines, but that RS has a howl to it that makes me look around and wonder if its my hearing or does that thing really sound that bad as s.

I let my buddy drive the Artic Silver for no real reasons. he has driven my cars before and knows the rules. i dont mind cranking it up in my own car, but i dont want to have to take his first born if he were to damage my car.

i'll tell you this, that silver car, in motion is insane. now i cant really tell you waht the orange looks like in motion, but when i asked my buddy he said, i almost crashed watching the tush on that car. the silver, with the orange wheels is slick. its has a mmore refined look, but frankly, i like it a lot. i was having fun as well lurking behind him and checking out the lines on those cars. its a scarey car. really just animal in all ways.

so we get to DMV and i realize i dont have anything to mount the front plate. no way i'm drilling that bumper, and i had just gotten one of those tow hook kits for the 997 and an extra which was intended to use when inspecting the others. of course i forgot it.

we get there and for new cars out of state, you dont have to go thru the line, you jsut park near the fron entrance and someone comes out to reivew paperwork and give you a 4 year sticker.

about 5 DMV guys in about 2 minutes are hovering, asking questions about the cars, where'd you get them, what do they cost? they are neat guys, all car nuts, but also guys who really look up , i think to great handling vehicles that they might not, atleast at this stage in their lives, be able to afford. i tried to tell them what i could about them, obviously myself not that much of an expert...yet. one dude was very cool and was like "listen, i really am not supposed to give out stickers withotu 2 plates afixed, but dont sweat it. give me two minutes and we'll get you on your way". true to his word, he came back with the 2 stickers and let me put them on the windshield ie' with scotch tape' (<G>) and then he asked the question "you think i could take it for a spin around the block?"

i mean, not sure how you really answre that. the dude just did a "look the other way". its only a car. he seemed pretty nice. and helped me out. so i said fine. i told my buddy to head back to the warehouse and i got in the passenger seat. i was edgy to say the least, but he was real respectful. i told him the car had only 11 miles on it and please be careful of RPMs. he was telling me all about how he breaks in his cars. he has some nissan he tracks and took a few months to break in properly.
it was a 2 minute drive, and frankly, i didnt need to, but its only a car. comes around goes around. he could hvae busted my chops and forced me to mount up the plate, or to come back..he didnt . he respected the car and drove lightly but really enjoyed it. we got back and i was of course fullpleased to see him GET HIS **** out of my seat!!! whew! glad he enjoyed the ride, but dont let the door hit you in the **** big boy.

he gets out and he's high fiving with his buddies and they're asking him how it was...and i'm like "Dudes, gotta go. work calls"........

i love my Turbo. but you dont get that wth the Turbo.
was very relieved to get back on my way and let that thing howl.

i pushed the SPort button and i'm not too sure yet exactly what goes on there but things got faster and louder. me likey sport button. "THIS ONE GOES TO 11"

that was my lunch break. fun stuff.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You made the guy's day.

Quick Reply: DMV'ing the RS's