Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....

.... early last Sunday morning (about 7:30) on my way up Hwy. 101 to Santa Barbara. I had stopped for fuel in Agoura and was running late for a breakfast meet with my son and his fiancee. I approached some slower traffic in the left lanes at about 80. I moved over to the right and unintentionally accellerated a bit. Appaerently this CHP was coming onto the freeway right there at Westlake Blvd. and behind some tall bushes. My V-1 never went off, he said he didn't need radar since I just drove right into his lair....

He went to lights and sirens immediately and came blazing up behind me. He pulled me out of the car and handcuffed me asking if I've ever been arrested for a "reckless" before. He then asked much I had to drink including how much last night! I told him I rarely drink and had a beer a few days ago. Then without even asking he searched my car completely. He went back to his cruiser and got his breathalyzer and asked if I objected to taking the test. I agreed and he looked at the results and went back again to his car and ran me on the computer system. It took all of about 30 seconds and he came back, turned me around, and uncuffed me stating that "You're right, you're completey clean. No tickets, no warrants, and you blew a 00". He said that changes everything and realxed a bit asking why the speed. I explained that I was pretty shocked I was at 105, I thought I was around 85 or so. I just accelerated to get around the sparce traffic in the fast lanes going 60. He agreed my lane changes were very clean and I that I wasn't driving erratically. He said when they see someone over 100 they immediately assume they're under the influence of something. I told him this car idles at 85 in 6th gear and he smiled a little. I said I was race licensed with multiple organizations and expained why racers are usually the safest ones on the highway. I may exceed the posted limits, but you won't find me up on Mullholland racing along a blind highway. He understood what I was trying to say and we talked about racing a bit. He apparently had some friends who ran P-cars. He stated repeatedly that once I know you're clean, it changes everything...

Well then he smiled and said well I can't just let 105 slide, I have to write you. I laughed and asked him to be gentle. I said I was thinking of asking you for a low flatbed a few minutes ago, so I'll be happy with whatever you decide. He said well how about 80, that will allow you to attend traffic school.

We shook hands and off I went in 5th gear on cruise control....
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were up at 7.30 am Sunday Morning ?
Now, that was a happy ending story.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn JR I thought you were on your laptop in your cell and I was going to have to come down and
bail you out!!! They have wireless in prison right?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad you weren't going the other direction to Euro Sunday. CHP is pretty kind to all comers as I think Dusty gives them lots of free coffee...still 80 vs. 105 is a good break. BTW, you can't cheat traffic school on-line any more...its "timed"....takes f'n forever!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're lucky. You met a calm one. I got popped for 120 on a "middle of nowhere" empty 65 desert highway and the cop was nervous as a long tailed dog in a room full of rocking chairs. Seriously, the guy was wound up tight as a over head door spring. CLAMPED the cuffs on and took me straight to jail. I felt much safer in jail then in that cop's cruiser.

Last ticket I got was for 80 in a 55 in the C4S. The CHP officer unholstered his f-ing side arm even after I specifically ASKED for permission to open the glove box. From that moment on, I did not take my eyes of his side arm the entire time and I held both of my hands at shoulder level over the passenger seat. I seriously think that officer had post traumatic stress from a tour or two in Iraq. He was f-ing WOUND up.

You're lucky you ran into a calm one... they're not all that way these days.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:07 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky dog!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
tlark
Drifting

JR the fellon would have sounded good and put you in a exclusive club.

lucky bastage....
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a similar issue. I got pulled over for doing 135 in my '87 928 and the cop wrote me up for 85. He asked several questions about 928s and complimented the car. Shook hands and walked away too.

They are nice when they are having good days and you don't look like a ricer or a drunk bobbing and weaving through traffic.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a buddy of mine had an experience with the same officer. His late model M3 has just about everything Dinan you can buy plus a fortune in suspension and brake upgrades. Unfortunately he chooses to drive it near the limits of its performance constantly. He went through the same section of 101 and was doing around 90+. The officer pulled him over, came up to his driver's window with gun drawn...can you believe this guy? Imagine if he had committed a REAL crime! Officer proceeds to throw my friend's keys onto the hood of his patrol car and write up a ticket for 90+.....with the wrong year in the date section of the ticket. My friend got off on a technicality...no fine, no points, no traffic school. Incidentally, his V1 didn't go off either. Glad things worked out with a reasonable speed on the ticket, I believe you would have been in serious trouble had he popped you with radar at that speed and decided not to let you off easy. Could have meant a trip downtown and a suspended license. I try to pick my spots when deciding where to drive at speeds that are (ahem) "safe for the conditions."
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
You're lucky. You met a calm one. I got popped for 120 on a "middle of nowhere" empty 65 desert highway and the cop was nervous as a long tailed dog in a room full of rocking chairs. Seriously, the guy was wound up tight as a over head door spring. CLAMPED the cuffs on and took me straight to jail. I felt much safer in jail then in that cop's cruiser.

Last ticket I got was for 80 in a 55 in the C4S. The CHP officer unholstered his f-ing side arm even after I specifically ASKED for permission to open the glove box. From that moment on, I did not take my eyes of his side arm the entire time and I held both of my hands at shoulder level over the passenger seat. I seriously think that officer had post traumatic stress from a tour or two in Iraq. He was f-ing WOUND up.

I've heard the best thing to do is keep both hands on the top of your steering wheel as the officer approaches. At least thats what I do and when I reach for the glove-box to get the registration I tell them before I do it. Seems to keep the officers more at ease. I doubt I look very intimidating anyway...I'm a banker for Pete's sake, hard to look intimidating with a shirt and tie on and a good haircut!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, you guys in CA have some pretty nervous cops!

You're driving an expensive exotic and the cops come up with open holsters?

The only time that happen to me is when two lesbian cops on Chicago's finest pulled me over for an illegal tun while driving my Cayenne. Usually I can talk my way out of everything, including triple digit speeds to the fine men in uniform. But I looked in my outside mirror as they stealthily came up on both sides of the car with their weapons covered and turned to my wife and said, "honey, I'm going down here". But I could barely stop laughing and asked them if they were happy they found the Great White Defendant.

They were so miffed at me as I asked them more inflammatory questions that were calculated to make them more po'ed at me but nothing so much as to justify their use of any force. It worked perfectly and they made a mistake on the citation and I walked just like 2ndof2's buddy. I felt I had little to lose, after all, what's the big deal about a turn, traffic school for sure was the worst I'd see.

But I've been stopped at over double the limit and never faceed a weapon here in IL.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
romeroe
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas

Just curious, did your insurance go up after the 120 on a 65? Did you have to appear in court or could you have hired a lawyer to appear in your stead? Thanks.
- Eddie
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
jbeanstalk
Advanced

Take it to the track guys! That's where the real fun is, anyway....
That being said, I understand what you mean about speed building without drama in the GT-3.
Interesting thread....
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by romeroe
Just curious, did your insurance go up after the 120 on a 65? Did you have to appear in court or could you have hired a lawyer to appear in your stead? Thanks.
- Eddie
Hired the most active defense attorney in town. Turned out that he met with the DA every Tuesday morning anyway... so my new attorney just brought me up at their next meeting. DA accepted no contest plea and an $650 fine in exchange for dropping the class 3 felony charge of "reckless disregard for human life" to a simple infraction. Judge agreed with the DA, my attorney pled for me, that was it. My insurance never knew it was anything more than a 1 point speeding ticket.

Pays to have a good attorney. Cost me $250.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

I still find myself lifting when I pass a Polizei car.

Now I remember why...

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....