Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What do you see GT# prices(non RS) doing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
all of you talk about pricing with no regard to mileage.
how is ANY CAR going to hold msrp with real milage.
you can have my RS around april 2008 for msrp, i will pay shipping to your state. it will have close to 40k miles at that time. who's paying me msrp for mine? i am taking numbers right now and i can write you a contract and have it notorized too.
Of course all those miles are just going to church and back, right?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Of course all those miles are just going to church and back, right?
yes of course.
church of speed at thunderhill, laguna seca, button willow, infineon.
i worship on bi weekly basis.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
not a fair comparison, 40k miles is excessive ( ) for the period of time... we are talking normal Porsche miles (i.e.5k'ish) per year... I agree that it will hold MSRP in the short-term with those kind of miles
you got me there. 40k is excessive, dont tell my wife.

but 5k isn't really normal porsche miles is it?
i would say maybe 10k.
and a 10k plus GT3 is NOT going to be holding MSRP. why? b/c 90% of the GT3's will be at 5k, and suckers like me who drove the car too much get slaughtered.

i am not preaching or scolding anyone who drove less than i do. it's your car and you can enjoy it in anyway you like. but i just dont see how GT3 RS or not will hold msrp if you use it much at all. i would love to be wrong so maybe for once i will not lose my shirt on cars.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would say maybe 10k.
and a 10k plus GT3 is NOT going to be holding MSRP. why? b/c 90% of the GT3's will be at 5k, and suckers like me who drove the car too much get slaughtered.

i am not preaching or scolding anyone who drove less than i do. it's your car and you can enjoy it in anyway you like. but i just dont see how GT3 RS or not will hold msrp if you use it much at all. i would love to be wrong so maybe for once i will not lose my shirt on cars.
maybe my mileage estimates are off.... I come from the land of 993 weekend drivers, so 5-7k miles per year is what I am used to.... my 98 S has 54k miles on it...

Toyota during the week for me (that I beat the crap out of) and Porsche for weekends and some evenings, DE, etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:47 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

There are low mileage Gt3's available right now for under sticker...look on Ebay there are a total of 11 GT3/GT3RS available.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richk
There are low mileage Gt3's available right now for under sticker...look on Ebay there are a total of 11 GT3/GT3RS available.
where are you seeing this?

not trying to argue, just curious to read some more about it... i am on ebay right now, see several RS, only 4 or so GT3... but dont see anything under MSRP, in fact, see quite a few over... (?)
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're analysis is spot-on. you gotta lose money someplace in life. either your kids bleed it out of you, your wife and her shoes/clothes, etc. and worse, the goverment, the taxes and when you finally find yoruself in a wood box a few feet down, well, those estate taxes , to me, basically amount to miles you should have put on your cars.

all these opinions are totally subjective, but i think anyone who is investing in cars because of pure speculation or pursuit of a 'return on investment', unless you are a dealer, i think you're gonna fail. my goal with my collection is to maybe, if i buy right, sell better, kind of, sort of, break even, but along the way have a boatload of fun.

if anyone here is in the financial position such that they are, maybe the wrong word, concerned about prices falling, the values of their cars...then dont buy a car. its about 10x more speculative than all kinds of other investments. and if you are concerned about values, then driving the cars is without question how you get tagged with a depreciating asset.

with all these cars, especially the turbos, turbo s's, gt3X-s ,etc. i think the pop on euphoria "gotta have it"...there you either have an allocation and have to flip quick or, better stated, time it right,,then they will depreciate some amount. and then you pick your place.
right now, i actually think if you like the 996, there are great deals on 996GT2s for 120, 125 down from 200k 4years ago. long term, could be worth more, but a value for sure, IF you like that narrow bodied car.

i do think think the GT3s will be coming lower, how much lower i have no idea. but if you want a pure, no-miles model then they will get increasingly hard to find. i dont think the gt2 introduction will do anything to gt3 prices. infact, if the gt2 is a flop, which it might be (not saying it will be but it could be), the gt3 could surge a bit, become more a choice. i already have a guy with a gt2 allocation who would like to flip his allocatin to me for one of gt3s msrp for msrp. 10k to my favor. go figure.

sick weather on the east coast. push the pedal.

i would say maybe 10k.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

spg993tt, well put
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche owners are self-proclaimed driving enthusiasts who actually drive their cars, no? imo, 10-12K miles per year would be "normal" Porsche miles.

If you drive your GT3 like a normal Porsche, expect normal Porsche depreciation which is pretty lousy these days.

The people who are expecting their GT3 resale values to be maintained near MSRP for a year or two should stick them in a storage bubble immediately, to be "enjoyed" solely as a garage queen.

we are talking normal Porsche miles (i.e.5k'ish) per year...
Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Porsche owners are self-proclaimed driving enthusiasts who actually drive their cars, no? imo, 10-12K miles per year would be "normal" Porsche miles.

If you drive your GT3 like a normal Porsche, expect normal Porsche depreciation which is pretty lousy these days.

The people who are expecting their GT3 resale values to be maintained near MSRP for a year or two should stick them in a storage bubble immediately, to be "enjoyed" solely as a garage queen.

i think that there are many out there who buy Porsches as fun weekend toys, not every day drivers... come on, you have to work pretty hard to put 12k miles per year on a fun weekend toy...

i drive the hell out of my car when i have free time, but i dont sit in stop and go traffic in it during the work week... i have never quite understood using the more 'special' Porsche models in that way...however, to each their own...

there is no question that these are depreciating assets and no one should buy as an investment... however, i do think that you can be 'smart' about which model you buy and how it will be used...and i still think that if someone dumped their GT3/RS in the first couple of years (which i do not plan to do personally), that if showroom condition and low mileage, they should hold around sticker...

just my .02
Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Even that may not work.

Normal mileage for 6GT3 seems to be ~5-6k/year.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same thing happened to the 2004 GT3. They were in short supply in 2003 and 2004. In 2005 you could find them everywhere used and new.

The 997 GT3 is in short supply this year, and next year as well, so it should do better than the 996 to retain the value, but it will still depreciate. The combined number of 997 GT3 and RS is close to the entire production of 996 GT3 for U.S.

My guess is that next year, a no-option 997 GT3 will sell around low 90s, with fully loaded cars selling for high 90s. That's a $20k-$30k hit on depreciation, not bad at all considering a $120k car.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

There are 8 GT3's listed on Ebay...and it is true most of those cars are ASKING over. What they sell for is another story!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

NJ-GT, i think you've got it about right...
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that there are many out there who buy Porsches as fun weekend toys, not every day drivers... come on, you have to work pretty hard to put 12k miles per year on a fun weekend toy...

i drive the hell out of my car when i have free time, but i dont sit in stop and go traffic in it during the work week... i have never quite understood using the more 'special' Porsche models in that way...however, to each their own...
I drive my GT2 two to three days a week, sometimes in really really bad LA traffic of up to 4 hours on really bad days in stop and go. I do it because you never know if there is a tomorrow, and since it's a lease, I already bought the miles anyway, might as well use it.

It will be returned at lease end with all 36K miles used up.

Quick Reply: What do you see GT# prices(non RS) doing