Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My $5 Mesh Grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My $5 Mesh Grill

Got these from Home Depot. The mesh are the ones used for corner stucco application. They come in 2x2x48 (bent corners) and when the corners are flatten, they look like this below...4x48.

Them being 4" wide made it easy to slip through and RTV'd in place. I painted the center black to match.

Pros:
- Don't have to remove the bumper
- 1/2 hour DIY
- Can be easily repair/replaced
- Easy access to fish out debris
- Cost $5

Cons:

- Cost $5. If you're used to paying $300, then you won't be happy.
- Still a chance of debris hitting the radiators. But the Cup grills may have similar problem.
Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice and very creative.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job. So do you just fit the piece in and then bend it around the edges? How do you avoid those sharp edges scratching the paint etc. If you would, please share a little more about doing a very clean install?
TIA
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Measure the piece to length of the radiator and cut. Place flat against the radiator and RTV (hi-temp) in place. No bending around the edges needed.

Make sure to put painters tape around the painted area esp all around the center. It'll take some careful "twisting" and "bending" to get the full length of the center in place. If you're not up to the challenge, you can cut the center in half and make two joints.

For the sides cut it 1/8" longer so you can wedge it against where the black housing and radiator meet. This will cause the mesh to "convex" slightly so it will keep the mesh in place while you put on the RTV. You will need two pieces to cover the entire height of the side radiator.

For the center, cut it 1/4" longer and slip it between the gap that exists between the radiator and the black plastic housing. This will also stay in place while you put on the RTV.

You may have to do some trial and error for the cuts, but it's cheap enough where you can experiment. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only one problem. Because they are flush with the radiators, any large object that is large enough to penetrate and damage the rads will still be able to damage the rad because there is no stand-off distance.

Flash
Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by flash1034
Only one problem. Because they are flush with the radiators, any large object that is large enough to penetrate and damage the rads will still be able to damage the rad because there is no stand-off distance.

Flash
True, that was my other concern that I forgot to put down.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
GG06Si
Intermediate

Nice, you can find anything in Home Depot these days
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very creative.

If you removed the front bumper cover you could install the screens under the snap-in retainers that are behind the bumper, then there would be some stand off to help prevent rad damage even more

Does Home Depot have anything to cure understeer?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by Racerron
If you removed the front bumper cover you could install the screens under the snap-in retainers that are behind the bumper, then there would be some stand off to help prevent rad damage even more
Yep, this can certainly be done. I was just too lazy to remove the bumper. You would need a larger piece of mesh. They sell a 4'x8' sheet for under $30 I think.

The clean radiator you see was even after a 300 mile drive home from Vegas when I took delivery of this car. I went to the local HD in Vegas and picked up this same piece, used heavy duty double sided tape to temporary stick it flat on the radiator and drove it home. Broke 120mph and times and no issues. Had a lot of debris on the mesh, but no bent fin damage. Also was able to take a vacuum cleaner and sucked out all the debris within the crevices. Not sure if you can do this if you had the cup mesh.

I also took a bunch of clear 3M remnants and slapped it on the hood, fenders, lights and bumpers at the dealer for the drive home.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerron
Does Home Depot have anything to cure understeer?

Scott
Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM
eriojas
Track Day

sorry, but whats RTV?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

nice to see. low price screens are always a nice alternative to no protection.

i find the biggest problem i have is small rocks and crap collecting at the bottom corners in front of rads.
The CUP screens fix this problem for me.

i also notice that everytime i remove my front tires to access and remove my inner fenders i have a small collection of rocks behind my rad fans.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Yup, each time you remove a front wheel you need a vacuum...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up this idea at a DE recently...

$5 screens installed just behind the bumper - without having to remove the bumper.

Step 1: drill small hole in the plastic, and thread a zip tie through it to create a loop for the next step. I did this in 3 different places for each screen.

Step 2: install screen (cut to fit the opening in the bumper), and use a second zip tie at each loop to secure the screen to the opening. Cut excess off of zip ties.

Quick Reply: My $5 Mesh Grill