Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bruce Day at Calabogie Motorsports (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dems fightin words Apex. Wear out your tires on Thursday so you'll be a victim on Friday. I have purchased ALL the tires so bring your run flats Muhhoooohoooahhhh!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre

Keith, no Cup car on Thursday, ran out of time to go get it, so it's just the black beast again. Hope it stays in the low 20's, we'll make some power.
Life just keeps gettin' better and better. Street cars all around.......lets do this already!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dems fightin words Apex. Wear out your tires on Thursday so you'll be a victim on Friday. I have purchased ALL the tires so bring your run flats Muhhoooohoooahhhh!
I knew you would try something like this Bob. That is why Nick hooked me up and I'm sitting next to a brand new set of HOO HOO's here in my office.

I WILL use my tires up Thursday so I will have a nice new set waiting for YOU on Friday. See you soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

What is the verdict on R6 versus the Cups? Any conclusion after all the practice?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

What is the verdict on R6 versus the Cups? Any conclusion after all the practice?
Actually I would be interested in the thoughts of others on this.

I went with the Hoosiers because I didn't want to take a chance on the cups. My thought process was that I spent a whole season getting the car to handle and I did that development on the Hoosier. Now that the car is good and I'm able to get around at a good pace I don't want to try the cups for fear that they will need a different set-up and I will be at the track with an ill handling car again. With only a couple of events left I just figured that I could live with the lack of feel in order to have at least a few laps that I truly enjoyed.

For me I would love to go to the Cups because its my favorite tire and it provides a greater feel. Its clear to me that the side wall of the Hoosier is not as stiff as the Cup. My gut says that the two are not much different in performance terms but the additional feel of the Cups provides some nice confidence.

Did you try the Cups yet?

If anyone out there has tried both (Grussell etc.) can you tell me if the Cups liked the same set-up as the Hoosiers?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Apex - you nailed the essence of my question. I have tweaked my car to be happy on the R6's and wonder what will happen if I switch to Cups. How many heat cycles do you get oout of the Hoosier? I now have about 30 on mine which suggests they are getting hard. Since the damn things have no "feel" I only find out when I start to slide in places I didn't before.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

How many heat cycles do you get oout of the Hoosier? I now have about 30 on mine which suggests they are getting hard. Since the damn things have no "feel" I only find out when I start to slide in places I didn't before.
Bob,

I've only been getting about 15 cycles out of each set. By that point they are toast and in some cases down to the cords. I have about 10 cycles on a set at Calabogie that I intend to run on Thursday so we will see how far I get on those.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Late
Bob,

I've only been getting about 15 cycles out of each set. By that point they are toast and in some cases down to the cords.
Yer too hard on tires. You should slow down. About 5 sec/lap would be fine
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like I'm finally going to make it to a Bruce day. See you guys on Thurs.. No "Girly GT3" this time, bringing the little red thingy. I'll spot ya 5 seconds!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Looks like I'm finally going to make it to a Bruce day. See you guys on Thurs.. No "Girly GT3" this time, bringing the little red thingy. I'll spot ya 5 seconds!
See you there Mike.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Wow is this a Rennsport reunion or what... Helena and I will be there too. Don't tell Keith otherwise he will try and snoop around our 968 to see what GoReallyFast tricks Ron lent us.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
brucegre
Banned

Bob - I liked the Hoosiers so much that I sold them to Keith after a couple of sessions. I never got comfortable with the lack of feedback so I went back to Cups, I think it's close to a wash the way we drive.

Mike! Congratulations to you and MJ, how the heck are you getting away on Thursday? And you will love the Radical here. The current track record is a 2:07 by Matt Graham in his Radical, right before a couple of pistons decided to see what the outside looked like. Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Bruce - I liked the Hoosiers .. on YOUR car I have to decide what to put on the car. I suspect my Hoosiers are done although the tread seems OK. I did seven days on them. I guess my alignment is more suitable than Keith's or, he is abusing his tires. Is there a society for the protection of tires I wonder? The SPCTT needs to be informed! Since Apex and Racer will be gunning for me, I would prefer to be properly shod. Bruce, any comments on the set up between cups and R6? I went from understeer (in spite of a setup designed to maximize oversteer) on the OEM tires to a totally assy car on the Hoosier. I fixed that but like Apex I wonder if that setup will suck with Cups.

Mike talks tough - if you want to keep him behind, bring a spray can of liquid wrench and spray the mechanical bits on that red thing. Beware of fasteners in your tires though.

Note the required biath talk above.

Best,
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

OK that is it! I am going to stop reading this post while travelling!!!! Have fun Thursday and I will see you all at the next event, that would be in my 6.

P.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
brucegre
Banned

Bruce - I liked the Hoosiers .. on YOUR car I have to decide what to put on the car. I suspect my Hoosiers are done although the tread seems OK. I did seven days on them. I guess my alignment is more suitable than Keith's or, he is abusing his tires. Is there a society for the protection of tires I wonder? The SPCTT needs to be informed! Since Apex and Racer will be gunning for me, I would prefer to be properly shod. Bruce, any comments on the set up between cups and R6? I went from understeer (in spite of a setup designed to maximize oversteer) on the OEM tires to a totally assy car on the Hoosier. I fixed that but like Apex I wonder if that setup will suck with Cups.

Best,
My guess is that the car will handle well with Cups on that setup, but you will probably get premature wear on the outside of the tire. I cord the Hoosiers on the inside very quickly because I'm running too much camber, but I wear the Cups quite evenly with the same setup. I'd go with the Cups and see what happens, and we can fool around with the bar adjustments through the weekend to try and balance the car. Are you up on Thursday at all?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Bruce Day at Calabogie Motorsports (VIDEO)