Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bruce Day at Calabogie Motorsports (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
Chris you can take some of the blame/credit for influencing my decision to leave the Italian for the German.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Oh!! So THATS that piece O Crap Ron keeps talking about! I thought he parked it at the 5 & dime with a for sale sign on it!
I don’t want to start a fight here but I will say this. Of all of the people that I've seen comment on this board about the performance of the 997 GT3/RS there have been some that truly know what they are talking about and many more who don't have a clue. I would put Ron among those who are in the know. Please appreciate that each of us went after these cars for different reasons. Some for the SAT NAV and full leather (the WOW factor) and some for the hardcore track performance (AND ONLY SOME HAVE THE ABILITY TO ASSESS IT). In fairness to Ron the RS was positioned by Porsche as a streetable race car and I don't care what any of you say I agree with Ron that it's NOT THAT AT ALL. So the guy stood up and said that he didn't feel that he got what he paid for. He never asked any of you to agree with him he simply offered his opinion as many of us have done here.

Respectfully, to each of you who wish to debate his assessment of the car its welcome here but you better bring some real arguments about its performance if you want to discredit him. For those of you who can't do that **** off and leave the guy alone!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW Louise' White 996GT3 is now available. Maybe Ron should buy it because the 996 is so far superior to the 997 apparently

Carm you will enojy Ron's car ... if you can get over the awful color that is..
He's Italian. He NEEDs that "Pimp My Ride" factor

Carm, does this mean the 993 and/or 355 are on the block?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Apex - sheeesh such strong sentiments! Are you suffering track withdrawl?

Ron continually bashes the RS because he is disappointed that it is not a street legal cup car. As we all found out, it is quite the opposite. Does that make it a POS? No.

Porsche managed to notch up the performance a bit (compared to the 996 GT3) while making the car easier to live with on a daily basis. As we have seen, spending 10K or so on a 6GT3 makes it the equal (at least) of an RS. See Mike K for an example. The RS looks better (IMO) and the interior no longer exudes "cheap". I remember the day I parked my 275K (Canadian) GT2 next to Al's SL-55 AMG. Mine looked like a south korean car compared to his - in spite of costing a lot more. Porsche fixed that and the GT3/RS benefit. Not a bad thing in my book.

I am tired of the complaints because the car is not what was expected. A nicer interior and some sound deadening does not make the car "bad". Should I start a thread about the RSR being a POS because it doesn't have AC and power windows?

Where I do agree with Ron is that Porsche did not properly describe the car .. or perhaps they did and the press added their own interpretations. I suspect the former. I still remember the original web site in 2002 showing glowing red ceramaic rotors which would last 300K kilometers! In the end Ron is unhappy - the good news is that his car is worth what he paid for it (perhaps more). That alone is a quality of the RS.

Best,
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Toycar 1
AutoX

Originally Posted by sjanes

He claims that he wouldn't mind a car that gets a bit less attention than the F car - I'm sure a pumpkin colored GT3 RS car won't stand out at all...

So yes, the 355 is on the block as well as the 968, but the 993 (soon to be RS) stays - it's MINE!!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Good choice Carm, you are too masculine for the Ferrari.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes

Stacy, Stacy, Stacy how dare you mention the 993, how am I going to get any quality time from Helena if she even thinks I might sell her 993…. Anyhow if we are going to try and buy Ron’s car the 968 will have to go as well as my replacement Ferrari, a Yellow 1997 355 GTS which I should be getting any day now. Its still advertised on the dealer site, you can see it here if you like: http://www.dealer.ferrari.com/quebec/ You have to click on the Pre-owned tab on the bottom right corner of the page.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Good move Carm.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
Stacy, Stacy, Stacy how dare you mention the 993, how am I going to get any quality time from Helena if she even thinks I might sell her 993…. Anyhow if we are going to try and buy Ron’s car the 968 will have to go as well as my replacement Ferrari, a Yellow 1997 355 GTS which I should be getting any day now. Its still advertised on the dealer site, you can see it here if you like: http://www.dealer.ferrari.com/quebec/ You have to click on the Pre-owned tab on the bottom right corner of the page.
Well, now that you're an instructor, you have to buy a GT-3, I think it's an RSR rule or something. Glad to hear things obviously worked out on the Ferrari side.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toycar 1
He claims that he wouldn't mind a car that gets a bit less attention than the F car - I'm sure a pumpkin colored GT3 RS car won't stand out at all...

So yes, the 355 is on the block as well as the 968, but the 993 (soon to be RS) stays - it's MINE!!
Now I know who wears the pants.

I say go for the pumpkin.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bob, I hope my 996GT3 didn't give your RS indigestion at Tremblant, I guess that was one that didn't get eaten for lunch.

And by the way I wasn't really looking for a street legal Cup car, although that would have been nice, just the promised improvements that failed to materialise. To recap the transmission is better on the RS as is the torque curve, (but for $1400 that can be closely duplicated in a 996 GT3), the curb appeal is second to none and yes the interior is slightly better but at 245kmp/hr+ going into turn 8 at Mosport who's checking out the interior. The exhaust note is very nice in Sport mode, too bad we can't use it on any of the Rennsport tracks without adding chicken wire or Canadian Tire tail pipes as was seen at the last event. As you now know the RS is in fact marginally slower up the back straight at Tremblant than the 996GT3, albeit with your 200lbs of disgruntled employee ballast. As for the tacky mettalic look plastic on the interior and the footwell lighting package, well I've been there already. If the car was 300lbs lighter and turned when asked too I'd be willing to live with the obvious shortcomings, but it does make going for groceries and cruising the Lakeshore more pleasing than driving the 'Burban.

I've boarded up the front windows should the occasional missile come from south of the road

Last edited by Racerron; 08-28-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Ron, It didn't. You driving my RS would have gone as fast I think. I am looking forward to a set of Cup tires. Will Bruce give your 6GT3 indigestion at Calabogie
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If he's on fresh Hoosiers, or in his cup car for sure, but on Cups we will have to wait and see. He was way faster than the pig at the last Bruce day there was no way I could keep up through the twisty bits and let me think....oh yes that's about 80% of the track at Calabogie. The 18" wheels have failed to arrive in time, some problem with not enough demand for 12" rears, so the RS will be kept for commuting until Bob's day (if they're here by then) and I'll be taking the 996 to have some fun.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I just love the humour between you two.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm I will be driving my "pig" at Calabogie. We'll see about the indigestion. Last time you pulled away but very very slooooowly. I had a passenger - you did not. Indigestion? Sure, but it was honorable. I didn't burp

Best,

Quick Reply: Bruce Day at Calabogie Motorsports (VIDEO)