Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

JRZ's vs. Motons

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JRZ's vs. Motons

Now that I have the GT-3 instead of the RS I feel OK modding (I felt like I would be defiling a shrine to have modded and seriously tracked the RS)

So, anyone here have a feel for JRZ's vs. Motons? The car will see both street and track so ease of changing settings is a consideration. Will be running 18's at the track and 19's on the street if that makes any difference.

Thanks for consideration.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

JRZs have always been around the fringe of the track world Motons always seem to be the choice of the combatants though. Mooty is an expert ask him
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand correctly, the two are very similar. I think, but don't hold me to this, that engineers from JRZ left to start Moton. Further, I have heard that both shocks are manufactured in the same facility.
I think it boils down to who would be maintaining them. I have heard of complaints against JRZ service, but I know many who run the JRZ and are very happy.
As far as adjustability is concerned, I think both would work very well. Price and service in your area should be considerations.
Please let us know what you decide.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mklaskin
If I understand correctly, the two are very similar. I think, but don't hold me to this, that engineers from JRZ left to start Moton. Further, I have heard that both shocks are manufactured in the same facility.
I think it boils down to who would be maintaining them. I have heard of complaints against JRZ service, but I know many who run the JRZ and are very happy.
As far as adjustability is concerned, I think both would work very well. Price and service in your area should be considerations.
Please let us know what you decide.
Heard that too.

Where do you track that puppy in your avatar?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

I have Moton's on my GT2 and they absolutely transformed the car and confidence level for the drive in astronomical ways.. JRZ's are damn similar, tough choice but go Moton!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allegretto,

I've run at Road America, Putnam, and at the Autobahn Country Club. This year's been slim on seat time though...

Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 AM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout price comparison?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
frafoss
Instructor

How are the JRZ's and Motons for daily driving? How are they compared to Bilstein PSS9?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

They are overkill by a long shot for a daily driver. The reason they are so much better than stock or even entry level upgrades are not just quality, etc. but also adjustability. There is no reason a daily driver needs 3+ adjustable factors on your shocks!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lowside67
They are overkill by a long shot for a daily driver. The reason they are so much better than stock or even entry level upgrades are not just quality, etc. but also adjustability. There is no reason a daily driver needs 3+ adjustable factors on your shocks!
On to that!

I'mtalking about a car that I want to track,and then drive dinner with my wife. So maximum range of adjustibility is # 1
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
TripleM
Racer

Kill two birds with one stone
Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

To make those kinds of shocks work really well you would need very stiff springs. So street use would be suboptimal. You could get softer springs but then you would be asking your shocks to do some of the work of the spring at the track.

I had a set of JRZs on my M3. Double adjustable non-reservoir single body models. Made the car fly down the track. Street ride was crap due to stiff springs.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
To make those kinds of shocks work really well you would need very stiff springs...
+1 and also someone who has time &/or knowledge to adjust them.
I bet there are a decent amount of cars with 3-way adjustable shocks that basically never get adjusted or are adjusted incorrectly.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

I went with Motons on my M3 b/c it's a tried and true shock for this car.

Personally, I would buy not buy the shock; rather buy the support (ie., the shop). IOW, it's not so much the shock b/t these two, it's getting somebody who knows wtf they are doing in specing the setup (spring rates, longer travel options, quality hardware). Moton/JRZ are shock companies; the full system has to be engineered by the shop you purchase from.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by frafoss
How are the JRZ's and Motons for daily driving? How are they compared to Bilstein PSS9?
this is like comparing ferrari (moton/jrz) to honda (pss9)
pss9 is good but it is outclassed by jrz/moton. however, it is much cheaper.

you dont need super stiff spring to make jrz/moton work, you need a suspension genius to make the work well.

street use of these shox are a waste, but allegretto is using for track.

i prefer moton and had 4 sets of them on various cars. they are slightly more $$$ than jrz for the same class of shox, but the support from Lex at moton is nothing short of amazing to both me and my track buddies. that alone is enough to make me a moton customer for life.

but at the moment, i am trying to drive RS stock, improve myself and when i break 2min at TH, i might reward myself with some shox.

Quick Reply: JRZ's vs. Motons