Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts
Default RMS Oil Leak

My GT3 has 808 miles. I started the car and within seconds I heard a grinding sound. Sounded like a blender trying to crush ice cubes. I checked under the engine and sure enough there was the oil drip. The dealer has confirmed the RMS oil leak. It's a shame that Porsche continues to deliver cars with this defect.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grinding is a characteristic of the GT3 and not anything to do with the RMS. At least you're getting it out of the way
Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No oil leaks but my GT3 made that same noise a couple days ago. It is supposed to be normal and from a chain tensioner in the engine.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

996 GT3 made the same sound when its cold there is no oil in the tight tolerances of the engine
it goes away in 2-3 seconds-997 GT3 exactly the same. If the car is started the next day or so there is still oil around so it sounds much better. As Srf said has nothing to do with the RMS.
A small # of cars will have the RMS leak. If its only a drop or 2 no biggie may even go away.
If its the size of a silver dollar or bigger then watch it. If it needs to be fixed get it done its under warranty and if you want to take advantage of it get the RS FW and Clutch and dump the american version in your car (unless you have the RS already)
No biggie
Old 08-11-2007, 01:01 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The mechanic says you guys are 100% correct on the noise. It has nothing to do with the RMS. Just a coincendence. The dealer gave me a Cayenne S to drive and is going to replace the RMS next week.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

buy the RS clutch and flywheel and you get labor for free!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
SFBayAreaGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine too...

Originally Posted by n2cars
Thanks for the input guys. The mechanic says you guys are 100% correct on the noise. It has nothing to do with the RMS. Just a coincendence. The dealer gave me a Cayenne S to drive and is going to replace the RMS next week.

Took my car (63 days old) in for 2,000 mile after break-in (stuck to the break-in rules the first 1000 miles, then I raised the revs higher and higher for the next 1000 miles) for an oil & filter change (old school) and alignment check.

BTW...no noticeable metal shavings in the oil

The mechanic saw the start of a drip (no oil drops on my garage floor) and showed it to my service advisor. The service advisor explained to me that I was about to see my first drop within the next couple of days or week.

He was surprised since the GT3's have the Cup rear main seals. He ordered another one from Germany. They will have to take the trasmission down and open it up to see where the leak is coming from and also to measure the gap.

If the gap is wider than the Porsche specs, then new transmission.

Let me know what happens with yours.

Thanks,
Arnold
Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SFBayAreaGT3
Took my car (63 days old) in for 2,000 mile after break-in (stuck to the break-in rules the first 1000 miles, then I raised the revs higher and higher for the next 1000 miles) for an oil & filter change (old school) and alignment check.

BTW...no noticeable metal shavings in the oil

The mechanic saw the start of a drip (no oil drops on my garage floor) and showed it to my service advisor. The service advisor explained to me that I was about to see my first drop within the next couple of days or week.

He was surprised since the GT3's have the Cup rear main seals. He ordered another one from Germany. They will have to take the trasmission down and open it up to see where the leak is coming from and also to measure the gap.

If the gap is wider than the Porsche specs, then new transmission.

Let me know what happens with yours.

Thanks,
Arnold
Your dealer's story doesn't sound right to me. I have heard of some engines getting replaced (moreso with the regular 996 engine than the GT3) due to an out-of-spec crank which resulted in repeated oil leaks at the RMS location -- not trannys. I'd be surprised if that's your problem -- I'd bet it's the simple RMS issue. There was (is) an issue with the RMS on many GT3/RS's -- either improper installation at the factory or defective part. I'm personally aware of at least 6 GT3's/RS's locally which have had the RMS replaced -- leaks began early on in the car's life.

Rear main seals are readily available from Porsche's Parts Warehouse in Ontario (given your location, that's where your dealer would get the seal). The job is a relatively straight forward proposition -- 1-day service -- in by 8 AM out by 5 PM, assuming an experienced tech.

There's also been some talk at the dealer/Porsche about another source of the cause for the RMS failures -- something to do with excessive vacuum build-up in the oil crankcase breather system......
Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

i had RMS done also.
i know the service advisor and every tech there very well. the showed me what was my prob. the seal (the actual seal) was pinched when it was installed. my nose was literally 6" away from the seal when the worked on it. then they told me the "tool" that was used in the factory to install the RMS often causes such pinched or misaligned seals in early cars. they should have replaced the tool now. he told me the seal itself is not the prob. the prob is the insallation.

they shouldn't need to measure crankcase, that's "out of roundness" prob are on wet sumped engines only. i had that on my 996c4s.

RMS was done at 3969 miles, now 8200 miles, not a drop since replacement. and you all know how i abuse my cars.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Gotta get mine done. How many days will the dealer have the car? Got an autox almost every weekend.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

How many drips constitute RMS? Is any dripping period RMS?

Also, when I had it previously on my 997S they replaced the oil at no charge. Are they still doing that?

Finally, what do the parts run for the fly wheel and RS clutch, out of curiousity?

TIA.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I still am amazed that the RMS leak persists in the Gt3s but does not occur in the 997tt which has positive pressure in the crankcase
Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Gotta get mine done. How many days will the dealer have the car? Got an autox almost every weekend.
Sorry for the OT, but how is the car at autox? I'm thinking of going to one before taking it to the big track.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:49 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
they told me i had RMS. i drove the car home and kept driving.
once RMS arrived, they did it in one day.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SrfCity
How many drips constitute RMS? Is any dripping period RMS?

Also, when I had it previously on my 997S they replaced the oil at no charge. Are they still doing that?

Finally, what do the parts run for the fly wheel and RS clutch, out of curiousity?

TIA.
they have to do the oil when doing RMS, all the oil would have to be drained.
you may want to remind them to use a new oil filter however.

Quick Reply: RMS Oil Leak