Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

R888 feedback anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R888 feedback anyone?

I have seen few people running Toyos R888 at the track (including Ryan). I would appreciate any feedback and comparaison to RA1s, MPSC, Pirelli...

Thanks,

Stephan
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Stephan - You've already heard my feedback...sorry didn't have a chance for you to try them out on your car, but I'll share it with everyone else. The only other tires I can compare it to are the N-spec MPSCs which came with my Gt3, and The "regular" MPSCs I used to run on my turbo. First off, I ran 245/40/18 and 305/35/18. So the sidewall was a bit larger than stock, but the rolling diameter was about the same. I mounted them on CCW wheels. Don't remember the exact weights. but the fronts with the R888s mounted where about 2-3lb heavier, while the rears were 2-3lb lighter than stock 19"s. Unfortunately my first runs with the tire i also changed sway bar setting and switched to pagid black pads, so I had a few variables going.

I found turn in wasn't as responsive as MPSC. The response wasn't as immediate as MPSCs. I did like that they didn't need nearly as much time to warm up as the MPSCs. After a lap I was comfortable pushing the car hard. They were also more predictable than the N-spec MPSC. They feedback was better..and slip angle greater. I could slide the rear end without worrying about a sudden break away...so a bit more progressive. I did notice that at high speed threshold breaking...140+ -> 40 I had EXTREME tailwag. Not sure if this was the tires or my pad/setup change. But it was downright un nerving! Had the tail end almost swing all the way around on me. I'm going to put the Tarett Toe Links and check/change toe to see if this fixes the problem ... so not sure if was the tires. Other than that i was happy with the tires. While probably not as fast as the normal MPSC, I liked them more than the n-specs. Probably next set of tires will be "normal" 18" MPSC to compare. Will update more after setup changes. Also had a chance to drive them through 2 rain storms. Car handled fine...no worse than the n-spec MPSC. Didn't hydroplane at all...although not a lot of standing water.

Last edited by rmag; 07-27-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ryan, thanks for the info., any laptime improvement vs. the N-specs? Just curious.

The comparison sounds like the R888 is much like the RA-1 (predictible, soft sidewall, and tread squirm at full tread). I wouldn't have thought you would get that treadsquirm under braking w/ the new tread, but it sounds like you did. I ran RA-1s for about 3 years, but got them shaved most of the time. Maybe that would also benefit the R888, in the dry anyway. I also heard they had stiffened the sidewalls, but maybe not enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Lap times were similar to the n-spec MPSCs, but I was braking almost 150-200ft early because would have to ease off the brakes to control the squirm occasionally...and didn't feel like pushing it until I work out that issue. So I Think they will be faster, but not sure if faster than the normal MPSCs. I didn't have them shaved because the tread pattern looked like they might not need it. Next set I will probably shave to compare the difference.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High speed "Tail wag" could also be weight differential during breaking, or even toe in settings, check both. More weight toward the rear or twoo much toe in could be the culprit, not the tires. Have had this issue with 993 RS CS and 996 Supercup, just my "two cents" worth.

Quick Reply: R888 feedback anyone?