Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 14lb monkey, and $500 (Tires again!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
I just did also and unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't seem to find the R888. Maybe by the phone only at this stage.

for toyo r888 try calling http://www.radialtire.com/ they had some sizes in stock. or check with toyo directly to see a closer delaer to you. not all dealers carry them though.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
smack
Track Day

sorry to go off topic a bit but i thought i would just add a little info about sizes on the r888's. i have an evo(sorry no gt3 yet) that i ran 275/35/18 ra-1s on.
i picked up a set of 888's in the same size and they are literally 3/4" wider than the ra-1.

when i measured it looked to be right on 20mm. wider with a much squarer construction. since i couldn't get those to fit under the car i had toyo send me out a set of 255/35/18 and the tread width is almost identical to the 275 ra-1.
one interesting thing is that the sidewall of the ra-1 is wider than the tread(convex) but the 888 is concave and the tread is actually the widest part of the tire. so when the tires are stacked up the ra-1's seem wider but comparing treadwidths they are almost identical.

also just as a quick comparison with a couple nasa days at sears last month. i ran these full depth just to compare to the full depth ra-1's(the only tires i've ever ran/30+days).
the new tread pattern seems to help quite a bit as the 888's felt much less squirmy.

i've been told that the compound for u.s. market is the same as the ra-1(there is a softer compound for sale as well in the uk) and i think it must be pretty close since the tire at the limit of adhesion felt similar. i have to say that there felt to be a bit more grip as well. once i got to that familiar point where you know the car is about to break away, it just seemed to take that one beat more before the grip went away. sorry if that didn't translate too well.

also the new sidewall construction helps as the 888's have a bit crisper initial turn-in as well.

as far a heat management goes, i was pushing pretty good in the time trial group and the tires held up well. they felt like they were up to temps within a lap (lap 2 times seem to prove this out) and
didn't seem to get as greasy as soon even when overdriving a bit to see how they would hold up(at least that's the excuse i'm using )

so one thing i haven't compared is in the wet. looking at the two patterns i would think that the ra-1's would be able to evacuate more water but we'll see in a few months.

overall just a better ra-1. still comfortable feeling but with a bit better grip and turn-in.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have ordered from frisbyracetire.com before and was tremendously happy with my purchase. Tires arrived quickly and were well priced. I see they carry the T888.

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/toyofrontpage.html
Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Unless your running in competition, I would stick to the R888. Albeit lighter, the MPSC grip just goes off a cliff after a number of heat cycles and they take forever to get up to temperature. The Toyos seem to stick better as they wear and only require a lap or so to get up to temps.

I don't know what sizes, if any, Nittos has available for 19" rims, but Nitto N01 are the same compound as the RA1 and R888 and they are great.

The Toyos are heavier, but no one can say for sure they are slower, they last longer and cost $500 less. Seems to a no brainer.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowside67
I have ordered from frisbyracetire.com before and was tremendously happy with my purchase. Tires arrived quickly and were well priced. I see they carry the T888.

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/toyofrontpage.html
I also ordered from them (frisby is with sierra tire) and got my tires within 3 days (and I live in Canada). I will definitely keep them in mind for future orders.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got an 18" set of CCWs and R888 mounted. Can't remember the exact weights, but the fronts tires/wheels where 2lb heavier than stock 19" with MPCS and the rears about 2lb lighter. Here's a pic
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running RA1 and MPSC for a while. The MPSC are pretty bad in cold weather and rain. They're good when new. They get heat cycled with street driving. I've used 4 sets of them on the GT3 and 1 set on the Boxster.

RA1 are my favorite all-around race rubber. They last forever. They have amazing grip in the rain and amazing grip in cold weather. They are consistent lap after lap. Yes they're heavier, but lighter wheels fix that. Indeed, most of the drivers won't notice the handling difference between the metal rotors and PCCB rotors equipped GT3 (10 lbs lighter per corner).

I have a hard time thinking that the new version of the Toyo race tire is worse than the old version. I'm getting a set of 295/335 to replace my 275/335 RA1. The R888 are 6 lbs lighter than the RA1, although 20 lbs heavier than the 285/335 A6 I run on the SCCA events.

Quick Reply: The 14lb monkey, and $500 (Tires again!)