Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The only sucky thing about owning a gt3 is

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The only sucky thing about owning a gt3 is

The only sucky thing about owning a gt3 is that you get picked out of a pack when a group of drivers are speeding. Even when you are not the faster car in the bunch.

This morning I was heading north on PCH in northern Malibu and a black jetta passed me going +20 mph of me and a few moments later a pickup truck pulls up along side of me going +5 mph and of course the bike cop pulls me over for going 79 in a 50.

This is an open stretch of pch and if I was going 79 it was for a very brief period of time.

I could not believe the cop picked on me, and I even asked him if he had seen the 2 faster cars.

He could careless about all of that and happily wrote me the ticket.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:54 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Kids with $5k hondas with huge wings and fart cans have to deal with this as well. Fast or fast looking cars have always been picked on. Sucks he got ya but you gotta pay to play.

Did the cop get you with radar/laser or did he pace you? Do you have a V1 or anything? Might be time to invest. Mine has saved me countless times.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:55 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, Speed Yeller does not help.

Here in TX, you can escape tickets that are up to 25mph over the limit. I've resigned myself to two tickets a year.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Dro
Instructor

Originally Posted by crispenigl

The only sucky thing about owning a gt3 is that you get picked out of a pack when a group of drivers are speeding. Even when you are not the faster car in the bunch.

This morning I was heading north on PCH in northern Malibu and a black jetta passed me going +20 mph of me and a few moments later a pickup truck pulls up along side of me going +5 mph and of course the bike cop pulls me over for going 79 in a 50.

This is an open stretch of pch and if I was going 79 it was for a very brief period of time.

I could not believe the cop picked on me, and I even asked him if he had seen the 2 faster cars.

He could careless about all of that and happily wrote me the ticket.
I am not trying to be a jerk but if you are doing 79 on PCH in Malibu on a Sunday you deserve to get a ticket. Think about it...If you are a bike cop and see a group of cars approaching which one do you think he is going to laser? 100% of the time he will aim at the yellow porsche.
After several years of driving on PCH and numerous tickets its just not worth it to speed on this road. And if you do you better be very familiar with the 4 or 5 different spots where bike cops laser all the time.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ticket goes to driver less likely to contest... $$
Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Do tickets make any 'real' difference to you guys, apart from the dollars? Do they cause any other problems?
Over here, an offence like that would get you points (usually three) on your licence - once you reach 12 points, you lose it for a while. When that happens, insurance can get horribly expensive.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:38 AM
stuka
Pro

Let me guess, no V1?

I would not ever drive PCH without V1, since the only time I got nailed there was the time that I forget to bring it in my car.

The Malibu court house is teh suck. I ended up using Stan the radar man and he got me off. Expensive, but worth it for my low insurance premium.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Uh, Speed Yeller does not help.
hehehe. It is a fair punishment...you ask for it with that color choice.

Originally Posted by stuka
Let me guess, no V1?
In some places it is a crime use that type of devices. And if you get caught by police with one the result it's even worst
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was nicked yesterday for "excessive speed" and "tailgating" (sorry minivans in the fast lane doing 72 when all other traffic is doing 80+ is irritating) I have the V1 - it made one little beep - not the full alarm, but enough to make me look in my mirror and see him coming. I backed off - he pulled me over and let me go with a warning.

I love my V1.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

V1 or no V1, you are dead meat on PCH.
EVERYONE speeds on PCH, unless there's traffic, you simply cannot drive at 50mph on PCH. you would be so bored you will fall asleep, really.

so, if you have a bright p car with a big wing, you will be tagged sometimes even if you are doing 45 LOL.

cruise control is your friend. i find that i can easily break speed limit in 2nd gear without trying.

j. bogiano, one or two tix itself does nothing to speeders, but if you have assets, drive nice cars, after 10 or so tickets, you start to pay huge amount of money to insurance and lawyers to stay out of jail. at that point, you WILL slow down.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Here in TX, you can escape tickets that are up to 25mph over the limit. I've resigned myself to two tickets a year.
When you drift by them at a 40 deg angle doesn't that distort the radar waves?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Do tickets make any 'real' difference to you guys, apart from the dollars? Do they cause any other problems?
Over here, an offence like that would get you points (usually three) on your licence - once you reach 12 points, you lose it for a while. When that happens, insurance can get horribly expensive.
Yea, you get a points here too. One point for a violation like the one above. I think it's after 3 and they review your license etc. You can go to an all day traffic school once a year, to avoid the point. So you'll pay a fine plus a traffic school charge of around $200. For 79 in a 55 the fine is going to be fairly hefty.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have some black friends all professionals that have the same problem even when they are driving their regular cars-One of them is an optomologist. They get pegged by the local guys for any thing. Typically its just hassling no tickets. I have lived here for 20+ years and I have been pulled over once.
And I am Swiss Mexican. I have never been pulled over in any 911 I have owned.

Not that this would have helped on PCH but here is what I do when driving-Never go out without V1.

Always drive in the right hand side and try to stay behind other traffic until I have to pass-limit time in the left hand lane.

On big 4-more freeways I try to keep a rabbit(fast mover lefty lou) in the left hand lane ahead of me (really easy to find on the I-5) and always keep a eye on rear view mirror on suspicious traffic coming up behind.

Watch out for speed traps coming up under over passes. Police LOVE to sit on the on ramps and catch you as you pass underneath a bridge even the V1 wont protect you there.
I carefully watch all on ramps or bridges on freeways.

Watch overhead for aircraft flying along parallel along freeway

on 2 way hwys you have to be vigilant I dont know how you would have protected against a motorcycle police officers.

ALWAY drive 10 mph BELOW speed limit (just kidding)

other tips I am missing?

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-23-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: format
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Fight it! Info at Ticket Assassin on the internet.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by zicoramone
In some places it is a crime use that type of devices. And if you get caught by police with one the result it's even worst
That some places are DC and People's Communist Republic of VA.

In CA it is perfectly legal, because radar falls under FCC. DC and VA do it because no one has bothered challenging them in federal court.

I have been pulled over more times than I can count, more than most of the time I am let go with a warning, with my radar in plain view, though mounted high up with hard wire.

It's all in how you talk to them. Sometimes though, you just can't get a break, like in Malibu.

Just pay Stan the money and get the ticket dismissed.

Quick Reply: The only sucky thing about owning a gt3 is