Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jack
You may think I am stupid as evidenced by your *this guy is stupid smilie* but Tuesday a dealer called me and offered me what I paid for my GT3 in full so that I would by a RS for $18K over MSRP. In fact he dropped the price by 12 thousand dollars in 4 minutes of conversation when he detected I was not much interested. THis car was listed for $75K over and has been sitting for a month. Now maybe someone with your wealth doesnt consider a $52K drop in price cooling but where I come from it sure does. This car has less than 100 miles and is at one of the largest dealers in the state- not bakersfield. I also think a dealer-a manager no less- making cold calls depicts a bit of cooling of a ultra hot market. Now since you dont trust my opinion you probably dont think I am telling the truth here, however you can ask Mooty. I called him immediately after the call to ask what he thought of the deal. He knows the dealer and infact where the dealer got the car in the first place.
No, I don't think you're stupid....the smilie is "rolleyes-sarcastic" -- I was being sarcastic, nothing more. Sorry you took it any other way.

Neither a GT3 nor the RS is worth more than MSRP and will do only one thing over time...depreciate.

However, I still get offers for my RS at more than I paid....so what, I'm not a flipper.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe I shouldnt have been eating hot mexican food when i read your post.

$18K over is still kinda hot-cooler but still hot
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with OG and Herman on this one, I've been folowing the market closely as well (always on the lookout for a RS). The market is def cooling, the same cars they were trying to get 75k over for are now available 25k-ish over. My advice, wait a yr, let somebody else take the dep hit and pick one up while the hoopla over the new mk2 gt3 is reaching a crescendo.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

TT Doc, I am with you. I had an opportunity for a GT3 in color that would not be my choice. I am going to wait a bit before making the plunge. Dealer also told me their allocation is done!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 PM
gete3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi

And last but not least, I can't help myself here, there is NO such word "irregardless"..... could not resist.
Dictionary
irregardless |?iri?gärdlis| adjective & adverb informal regardless. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: probably a blend of irrespective and regardless .USAGE Irregardless, with its illogical negative prefix, is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as: irrespective. Irregardless is avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean 'without regard or consideration for' or 'nevertheless': | I go walking every day regardless of season or weather.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gete3
Irregardless is avoided by careful users of English

yeah...see literate
Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Well, you might say I'm a p*ssy (not a bad thing, you know). I went in and bailed her out today.

She sure is pretty...

Too pretty to race really. I don't think Porsche has made a prettier car. Thought the orange would be a little too much, but it is...stunning. That is the correct word.

Now, what's next? Shocks, seats, wheels, tires. If any of you guys see me at the side of the road, passed out with the smell of Motul 600 on my breath. Please take me home.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

This thread just keeps on getting stranger and stranger......
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
yeah...see literate
Man...tough crowd!

Obviously I was not being "careful" enough in my use of English .

I corrected it!

"Literate"???...nah I just like to look at pictures !

I hope I did not make any errors in this post .
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Well, you might say I'm a p*ssy (not a bad thing, you know). I went in and bailed her out today.

She sure is pretty...

Too pretty to race really. I don't think Porsche has made a prettier car. Thought the orange would be a little too much, but it is...stunning. That is the correct word.

Now, what's next? Shocks, seats, wheels, tires. If any of you guys see me at the side of the road, passed out with the smell of Motul 600 on my breath. Please take me home.

Replace the crappy tires it was delivered with, yours didn't come delivered with Sport Cups. Get some screens up front to protect those radiators. Get the car aligned with the settings they did for my GT3 there, actually I could use a bit more negative camber, talk to Joey. I also had GT2 brake ducts installed, directs some more air into the front rotors. Replace the brake fluid too, but it sounds like that is already on your mind... (I'd drive it a bit after that and figure out your next mod.)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
GBGT
Advanced

Can someone PLEASE substantiate claims to an upcoming GT3 Mk2? I have not heard one person name a credible source, not one. Please do not start rumors that have no merit. If you are going to make a claim like this, back it up.

The odds of Porsche doing a mid model change as drastic as this, in my opinion, are slim to none. If they are going to switch to a 3.8l they are going to do it as a 998. It will cost more R&D money to engineer yet another design for the 998 if they put the 3.8l in the 997. This simply makes no business or marketing sense whatsoever.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Come on, let's be realistic here.

Porsches were never investments; they are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Or maybe more accurately they are meant to make Porsche money and they happen to be great cars, so why not drive and enjoy and leave it at that. If you paid 190k for an RS and then it loses its value, the only person to blame is yourself (seriously). If you can afford it, just enjoy the car and forget about the loss. If you can't, you probably should have planned to pick one up on the used market a couple years later for less than 110K in the event you couldn't make a deal to order for MSRP somewhere.

More special models from Porsche is a good thing. If Porsche thinks it can make money off of enthusiasts, then we get more enthusiast cars. And with every new "special" model, we get another chance that it will come to the States. Heck, when's the last time they sold an RS over here? Also if a new model comes out a little sooner, it's more likely that it's not that much of an upgrade. I'm sure there are many 996 GT3 drivers who are still flying around racetracks and enjoying their cars without much more than a curious thought about the 997 GT3.

RS's are not obsolete already, all we have are rumors. The Mk II 996 GT3 was supposed to be 3.8, then the 996 GT3 RS, then the 997 GT3, then the 997 GT3 RS. So who knows if the MkII 997GT3 (RS) will be 3.8, but I mean it seems about damn near time we get a 3.8. Porsche does seem to be making more "special" cars at a slightly higher pace, but the rumors seem more due to the fact that rumors start earlier and earlier now because of forums like this and not because of a huge change in Porsche's game plan (at least that's how I see it, I say it's a 30/70 split of blame between Porsche and the car geeks for how fast attention switches to the next new thing).

It's a waste of an RS to worry about the next great model or how many RS's were made, instead of driving it in the hills or planning to make the most of your next track day.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GBGT
The odds of Porsche doing a mid model change as drastic as this, in my opinion, are slim to none.
Porsche just did the same thing with the Cayenne and they've supposedly reduced dealer allocations for MY08 by 50% from MY07 levels. When I asked Bernd Hemminger @ PAG he just smiled. So something is going on?

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist