Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT2 will have PSM

as will any every car in Porsches lineup after 12/07

Last edited by MJones; 05-29-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but as long as this is not the awful retarded PSM currently in service, I am fine with it.

The way I read it, the GT2 PSM is a two stage traction control like the one use by BMW.

The BMW DSC is also dual stage, and can be completely defeated.

Completely defeatable is all I want. I would have kept my 996 Turbo if that POS PSM was 100% defeatable, but it is not.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

If it can be completely de-activated and won't re-activate automatically, I don't care. If it can't, then the value of my GT-3 just went up. (not because of the GT-2 but because this will be the last iteration of the non-driver aided Porsches).
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Federal mandate for stability control is on the way... I bet you will find that the current 997 version of PSM (regular or sport) is the best they are going to be able to do. Turn it off and it comes back on automatically if ABS kicks in. Have to think that if the Fed is mandating all cars come with it, then eventually you won't be able to defeat it just like you can't defeat ABS (with a button press).
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by RonCT
Federal mandate for stability control is on the way... I bet you will find that the current 997 version of PSM (regular or sport) is the best they are going to be able to do. Turn it off and it comes back on automatically if ABS kicks in. Have to think that if the Fed is mandating all cars come with it, then eventually you won't be able to defeat it just like you can't defeat ABS (with a button press).
The current PSM sucks just as much as it ever did.

It comes back on without ABS. It comes back on when it detects way too much back end coming out. As it most certainly did in my Turbo, which made me get rid of it.

This PSM in the GT2 is basically a two staged TC that can be turned off and stays off. That I am fine with.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
The current PSM sucks just as much as it ever did.

It comes back on without ABS. It comes back on when it detects way too much back end coming out. As it most certainly did in my Turbo, which made me get rid of it.

This PSM in the GT2 is basically a two staged TC that can be turned off and stays off. That I am fine with.
Strange, this is not the case for the 997S. When PSM is disabled I can drift through complete turns at ludicrous angles with no intervention from PSM at all.

May is the PSM version for AWD. It has to be a diferent program since you have drive in the front wheels.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I find the same too, PSM never gets in the way, so I don't see how you could say it "sucks". I've logged about 20 hours on the track at this point and PSM doesn't get in the way. And I'm not babying it, sub 2:15 at Watkins Glen... You actually have to try to force a situation to get it to flash on, which I did while trying to see if PSM ever comes on because it was never getting in the way...
Old 07-13-2007, 06:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,500 Likes on 2,276 Posts

me too, i have not triggered PSM (cayman s). even when i spun off track, psm didn't come back on, LOL.

i can get it to go off on purpose only at one turn and it actually helps me round that corner faster and off line. strange as it may seem.

i haven't triggered the TC (RS) so far with 8-900 track miles.

Last edited by mooty; 07-13-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've felt the TC kick in when getting on the gas coming out of a tight radius....
Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 PM
brianbento
Instructor

NoSubEDU...........Raleigh huh, Where at exactly? Me too, and a good friend of mine with a RS is also there by crab tree!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
me too, i have not triggered PSM (cayman s). even when i spun off track, psm didn't come back on, LOL.

i can get it to go off on purpose only at one turn and it actually helps me round that corner faster and off line. strange as it may seem.

i haven't triggered the TC (RS) so far with 8-900 track miles.
That's all I am saying.

It still comes back on.

And because of that, it sucks.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
prg
Pro

The brochure says in the new GT2 that the psm (when fully disabled) won't turn itself back on under braking. This really would eliminate my only objection to it.
In the 996 turbo, the PSM re-engaged under braking. This made trail braking to aggressively rotate the car in slow speed corners impossible. (Quite annoying in a car set up to understeer.)
I'd welcome a system that can truly be turned off on the track, but might save me if my velocity exceeded my talent on the street.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

PRG what you felt trail braking was not PSM but Yaw Control which is a component of PSM which can NOT be turned off.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
PRG what you felt trail braking was not PSM but Yaw Control which is a component of PSM which can NOT be turned off.
yeps that's spot on.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prg
The brochure says in the new GT2 that the psm (when fully disabled) won't turn itself back on under braking. This really would eliminate my only objection to it.
In the 996 turbo, the PSM re-engaged under braking. This made trail braking to aggressively rotate the car in slow speed corners impossible. (Quite annoying in a car set up to understeer.)
I'd welcome a system that can truly be turned off on the track, but might save me if my velocity exceeded my talent on the street.
Are you sure about that? So, traction control kicks in whenever the ABS kicks in? Because whenever I brake for a turn, the ABS kicks in for everycar so is that mean I'll have to turn off the PSM again after every turn? Also, I see TTs spun even with PSM on (or off). Very strange. So, 996 GTs = the last of the non-electronics, huh?

Quick Reply: GT2 will have PSM