Positive Experience with Toyo Proxes RA1

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 PM
scss98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking issue?

Hank,

can you elaborate a bit on the "braking issue" with the Michelin sport cups?
The other question I had for you is what size CCW did you put on your car? 8.5 and 12 or 9's in front? did you go with the classics or the C14s? I am contemplating going to 18" from the stock 19" as well. I do have some "braking" issues but not sure if it is tire related or ABS software related.

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
One more bit of additional information: I chose the Toyos because of the braking issues Mitch and his friends were experiencing and posting about here with the Michelin PSCs. I would much prefer the PSCs. The Toyos, however, are a better match ratio-wise to the stock tires.

On my fist session out as soon as I was up to speed I did have one instance where the brakes were ABSing and I had to push the brake pedal as hard as I could to get the car slowed for the corner. I don't know if the ABS computer has some limited ability to adapt, however, there was no repeat experience of that phenomenon over the remaining 2 and 3/4 days.

I have experienced this same issue before when tires were significantly different diameters than stock (it doesn’t take much difference to be significant). In this case, the pedal DID NOT go to the floor and, again, from previous experience in 993s and 996 Cup cars it does not reoccur after one or possibly two occurrences. Mitch indicated that his pedal went to the floor – this was not my experience.

Hank
Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

when i spoke to john at CCW.
he suggested 9" and 12" for both GT3 and RS.
different offset of course.

he also told me C14 is much much stronger than classic.
he also has C10, which is lighter than C14 (same look, 4 less spokes)
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
elanderholm
Intermediate

My car weighs 32XX lbs and I have about 5 track days this year on a set of RA1 shaved to 4/32. They don't even look like I've driven on them. They are a great tire, IMO. If you want to try out the equivalent of the Toyo 888 try the Nitto 01. They are the exact same tread compound as the 'new' RA1 (888). I have had nothing but good luck with RA1s and they wear like iron. I expect to get 5-6 more track days out of them this year before I even think about replacing them.

Back in my S2000 days I knew guys that would leave them full tread depth and drive 10k miles a year and do 10 track days a year on a single set. IMO, best bang for the buck tire available. I plan on trying the Nitto next if I can't get the 888 here.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by elanderholm
My car weighs 32XX lbs and I have about 5 track days this year on a set of RA1 shaved to 4/32. They don't even look like I've driven on them. They are a great tire, IMO. If you want to try out the equivalent of the Toyo 888 try the Nitto 01. They are the exact same tread compound as the 'new' RA1 (888). I have had nothing but good luck with RA1s and they wear like iron. I expect to get 5-6 more track days out of them this year before I even think about replacing them.

Back in my S2000 days I knew guys that would leave them full tread depth and drive 10k miles a year and do 10 track days a year on a single set. IMO, best bang for the buck tire available. I plan on trying the Nitto next if I can't get the 888 here.
yes, i am a die hard RA1 fan as well.
once i am certain my C14 fits, i will get another set. the full tread RA1 will be used on street, as they wear down a bit, they will be saved for track use and the 2nd set of full tread RA1 will be used on street, then i just rotate the two sets.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,342 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by elanderholm

I have the Nitto N01 right now and I'm in love with them. They are wearing wonderfully. I flipped them on the rim and tried them out this past weekend and found them to be spectacular. The good thing about them is that they provided grip right off the bat in the 1st lap and were consistant throughout the session. I had a set of R888 in my garage ready to go when these wear out, but I highly recommend them to anyone.

I've tried the Hoosiers and MPSC as well. They are a great tires, but go off much quicker than the Nittos. I'm hoping the Nittos wear better as they go right down to the cords like the RA1's.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
elanderholm
Intermediate

Default update

I ended up doing 10 track days with my shaved RA1s last year. They still have a lot of life left in them. I only have one video of me chasing a Porsche at Portland International Raceway, but as you can tell the RA1s can keep up with a Hoosier equipped car. In another video I'm chasing a super charged E36/8 M coupe and you can tell the hoosier equipped car is a little faster in certain corners, but the RA1s do really well for a tire that wears as great as they do.

Evo IX is stock engine with Evo MR suspension, RA1s. Porsche is some kind of race car on Hoosiers. It is obviously faster in the straights, but I make up some time. It's an HPDE.
Obviously the Porsche has much better Power to Weight then my evo!

Stock engine evo chasing Super Charged BMW M coupe at Portland International Raceway (PIR). He's on Hoosiers and I'm on RA1s. Porsche Club HPDE (Drivers Event DE).

Evo is stock engine with EVO MR suspension, so pretty much a totally stock car with 255 RA1s all around.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

wow, incredible.
my 4/32 shaved RA1 lasted just 400 track miles and 200 street miles.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

As a little more input on the RA-1's and wear...they do last forever compared to other tires, AND you can run them to the cords without grip ever going away, but it does depend on driving style some. I can still go through them quicker than my brother in a similar car and we run similar lap times as well so some of it is left upto the driver as well.

That said...I've purchased RA-1 scrubs for my M3 that were likely < 2/32 when I got them (2 lines in center still present but the 2 outer lines were hardly there) and I got them to last for 2 full DE weekends, could have gone a couple more sessions on them too but didn't want to risk cording at my next DE event so I took them off. This was all on a full weight (3600lb) E46 M3.

I look forward to using the R888's on my 996 this season.

Andy
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
NAO
Advanced

Hank, Glad you enjoyed the ride today.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NAO must be Neil and ride doesn't even begin to describe the event. I've been in some fast cars before but nothing like that one. It was fast past the point of freightning! When I got back to the office and described the experience to my mates I told them that for a second or two I was afraid I might not see my kids again!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome info guy's... I love RA1's personally, and had a bad experience with earlier versions of the MPSC's (not the new one's that come on GT3, etc standard)

Question, I have an event coming up March 14th, VIR. I always got mine shaved (twice, not sure depth) but for this 3 day event was going to get them unshaved to last longer.

Now here is my question, some are saying it will be less grippy (understood) and oily for a bit, which will NOT be good What would you guy's shave it down to, within reason so it would last a 3 day event, or more importantly give me great grip and heat up well even during the first session??

Sizes will be 245/335 and on a GT2, you can understand why I want as much grip as possible thanks.

Martin
Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
elanderholm
Intermediate

They will chunk too if you don't shave them. You can shave them to 6/32 and they will last a really long time. You need to get that first bit of tread off though unless you are using them as a wet tire, IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i have never chunked full treaded RA1 or R888's.
but shaving to 6/32-3/32 will give you more grip out of the gate.

at 6/32, they easily last 3 days.
at 3/32, i toasted 305 rear, to the cord in multiple spots, in 250 track miles (two days).

Quick Reply: Positive Experience with Toyo Proxes RA1