New GT3 - Picked it up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
that looks like gt3 heaven!

the mods look great.
keeping good company in the shop w/ a 959!?
congrats frank!

How about driving heaven in general. Reminds me of the roads I drove when I was test driving cars to bring back for the grey market back in the 80's.

Wish we had roads like that around here.

Looks great Frank can't wait to see it. Nice choice all around.
Old 07-19-2007 | 04:45 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zicoramone
Congratulations Frank.
You don't waste any time, right? Great mods by the way. It would be nice if you write something comparing the GT3 to the 964 turbo. Thank you.
I was only able to put a little over 1300 miles on the car so my initial impressions are very limited as I only started to push it over the past 200 miles. The GT3 is go-cart like in its handling and feel. For me it is the closest to a race-car like feel that I have ever experienced in a public road legal car. The engine really screams above 4000 rpms and the power is very impressive, however it is not significantly beyond my moded RS4 or the 964 turbo. Most impressive, actually is the sound. It is very much F1 like. I am also impressed with the tires and handling in the rain - way beyond my expecations. The interior is great and high quality, however I am considering placing an order for the new GT2 seats while the car is still in Europe. I have done some short high speed spurts up to about 290 km/h and the car got pretty nervous, however it could have been a function of the road surface on that particular stretch of the Autobahn.

The 964 turbo is a completely different animal. For me it is the best looking 911 ever produced - period. I have headers and a 1 bar spring, which get me to about 420 hp and acceptable low end torque. Otherwise the car is pretty much stock. It is a pleasure to drive, however in its current state, it is a beast to drive at the limit. When the boost sets in, the acceleration simply takes your breath away. I have not had a chance to take it to the track yet and test it at its limits. Maybe later this year.

Originally Posted by popnithi
Hi Frank, Love that RS wing on your GT3. Where did you get it and how much its cost? Is it possible to show the picture of your car from both front and rear angle? love to see it...
I picked up the car under the Euro delivery program so all the work was done at the Porsche Zentrum in Munich (after the Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart refused to work with an American due to a bad experience with another) and all charges are in Euros. As I am currently stuck in India, I have not had a chance to pick it up yet, nor have I seen the final bill. There seems to be ample confusion about pricing and parts required. Once I receive the bill, I will post a detailed list of all the parts needed to do the conversion. Availability of parts was not an issue as I scheduled the car for the work about 1.5 months ago. I will post more pictures as I head back up into the Alps next week for two days.

The decals are from AP Car Design

Originally Posted by icon
the mods look great.
keeping good company in the shop w/ a 959!?
congrats frank!
I had the chance to get one of the RS VIP cars, however I decided to spend the money on Euro delivery and some customization to make it a bit more unique. Thanks for pointing out the 959. I just realized that as well.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Congrats!! She is a beauty!

What's the chance of seeing her on the next run?
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrwin, the car will come to the US in October for storage over the winter. We'll have to wait for the first '08 Spring run. I have the nav system so no more getting lost.
Old 07-19-2007 | 02:25 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Ah, just noticed somebody else mentioned it, but I see you took it to the proper shop. Nice 959!
Old 07-19-2007 | 05:16 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Congrats!! She is a beauty!

What's the chance of seeing her on the next run?
Haha. Yes, indeed. You can lead!
Old 07-22-2007 | 04:03 AM
khaug
Instructor

Thanks for your wonderful post and stunning pictures!

We did Euro Delivery on our MB E320 CDI in 9/04, and loved it (and it was all free - we saved a bundle!). Your post rekindled wonderful memories of that trip. Sounds like you had as much fun as we did.

After having done the MB freebie ED trip, the thought of paying Porsche for the same stuff was too much, so we didn't do ED when we got our GT3. Looking at your post, I sorta wish we had!

Quick Reply: New GT3 - Picked it up!