Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Heavy clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
trobarts
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my white GT3 on Monday. Have been too busy driving to post. The clutch is far heavier than in my 996 turbo (which I was told is hydraulically assisted, but I agree with Normank, much easier to go without stalling, which I did a few times in the turbo over 3 years. My biggest gripe is the necessity of engaging the clutch at 4200 rpm for the next several hundred miles .
Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
My GT3 clutch is much stiffer than my 997 C2S clutch but I am in complete heaven with it! I love the feel, the engagement, the grab, and the stiffness is perfect. Feels similar to the Z8 but more refined.
Same here.

Both my wife and I hated the 996 Turbo clutch because it was so totally overassisted.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by trobarts
Picked up my white GT3 on Monday. Have been too busy driving to post. The clutch is far heavier than in my 996 turbo (which I was told is hydraulically assisted, but I agree with Normank, much easier to go without stalling, which I did a few times in the turbo over 3 years. My biggest gripe is the necessity of engaging the clutch at 4200 rpm for the next several hundred miles .
The wait is annoying, but the reward will be dramatic.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by normank
You do get used to it very quickly. There is much greater feedback on what is happening. On my C2 Coupe it was possible to stall. Never happened on the GT3. You know where you are all the time.
#1 reason my wife hated driving the 996 Turbo, clutch is so damn unpredictable.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, not on the lwt flywheel RS.
i stalled at the first light out of dealer on day of delivery.
i am so glad i wasn't rear ended....
that would have been tragically embarrassing.
Woah! Please don't make fun of that schit! I had to stop at the end of a entrance ramp because of a construction stop sign. Did not realize that I was in third gear when I started to go so I paused a split second to downshift into first. 17 year old girl behind me saw my RS start to move and looked over her shoulder into traffic and saw no one coming and booted it right into my newly repaired **** end.
Tragically painfull.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thanks for all the replies. I've moved my seat forward a little from what has become my usual driving position and all's well. Already it's not feeling 'heavy' any more, just meaty.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Woah! Please don't make fun of that schit! I had to stop at the end of a entrance ramp because of a construction stop sign. Did not realize that I was in third gear when I started to go so I paused a split second to downshift into first. 17 year old girl behind me saw my RS start to move and looked over her shoulder into traffic and saw no one coming and booted it right into my newly repaired **** end.
Tragically painfull.
sorry to hear that.
your RS has had a tough early life. i am sure you will take care of it with extra TLC now.

Quick Reply: Heavy clutch?