Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS Market Predictions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:00 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

The abuse is not from the quick changes but from the drivers who cant figure out the timing required to heel and toe on the downshift. Not the same as an H pattern 6 speed.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:21 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
While there are many documented problems with the E60 M5 SMG, I have had not a single one in 15,000 miles. I love the tranmission. The problem is people get in and want an automatic, which it is not. It must be driven like a manual, you just don't push the clutch. It has little nuances about it (like stop and go and parking lot issues) but you learn how to drive around those if you are a driver. I would never trade my SMG for a 6 speed...
My point was that just because they were made to function together it doesn't mean that they're flawless...as you said "there are many documented problems with (it)..."

Having said that I will tell you that although I'm the type to like raw, hardcore cars, I'm also open to advancements. These two positions are not mutual exclusive.

I believe in abs, synchros, power steering and sequentials...IMHO all these things improve both the safety and fun factor in cars...the way I see it, heel and toe'ing will be replaced with learning to left foot brake...there's always some skill that needs to be mastered...

What I don't like are e-nannies or electronic CYA devices ala PSM and the like...

I would be first in line for a DSG, PDK or whatever they call it GT3RS.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
My point was that just because they were made to function together it doesn't mean that they're flawless...as you said "there are many documented problems with (it)..."

Having said that I will tell you that although I'm the type to like raw, hardcore cars, I'm also open to advancements. These two positions are not mutual exclusive.

I believe in abs, synchros, power steering and sequentials...IMHO all these things improve both the safety and fun factor in cars...the way I see it, heel and toe'ing will be replaced with learning to left foot brake...there's always some skill that needs to be mastered...

What I don't like are e-nannies or electronic CYA devices ala PSM and the like...

I used to left foot brake my 6 speed M3. When I went to the GT3, I could no longer do it because it retards the fuel delivery. Drive by wire? I'd love to go back to left foot braking, but the technology doesn't allow it.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 06 M5 "Lemon" car many problems with SMG mostly electronics

Originally Posted by M3Pete
BMW tried making SMG mandatory on the M5. So many buyers here complained they then also offered a stick in NA only. But the V10 and 7 speed SMG were made to work together, and as a comsequence, the 6 speed manual works awful with the M5.

My guess is that DSG with be offered with the 998 as an option. This reminds me of the debate on ceramic brakes vs. iron.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I am in agreement with you on all points! It is ashame our Govt. has decided to mandate all cars with traction controls. They are taking the fun out of driving or at least pushing us all to track cars.

JCM
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an M3 with SMG (track car) and an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro with DSG. The SMG is a fine transmission in manual mode and works great on the track. However as stated here in auto mode it is not an effective solution. The DSG on the other hand is unbelievably smooth in both manual and auto mode. In fact it is smoother than any automatic transmission I have driven. My guess however do to the simplicity of the SMG it will hold up better on the track. It also also my understanding that the new M3 will have a DSG based transmission.

In any event I am patiently waiting for the DSG equiped GT3 to hit the market, the only car I would swap for my M3.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a 2006 BMW M6 with the SMG last year.

Without a doubt it was the worst driving car I have ever been in--not only did the gearbox make me feel like a bobblehead doll with it's herky jerky shifts, but going over the smallest bump would cause the back end of the car to bounce up and down like a cheap pick up truck with no shocks.

I would rather drive a clapped out, beat to **** air-cooled 911 than any brand new BMW product with an SMG gearbox. Besides, everytime I read "SMG" I think of these guys:

Not sure what marketing genius came up with "SMG" but he (or she) probably wasn't aware of WWII.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in auto mod you are correct. however smg driven properly in manual mod it can be very smooth. however dsg is very smooth with no effort, just bang the paddles, foot on the floor.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a few friends that will tell you that the SMG also works awful with the V10...I know of one that due to internal ( ) reasons his SMG has been replaced twiced...

Not to mention, oil anyone??
I have an 08 M5 with an SMG and I think the trans is a perfect fit with the car and motor. I haven't had any problems and it is a blast to drive every day.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Market Predictions