Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleM
ok JACK
What wheels are those? Champion Wheels with custom color?
Yes, Champion RS 98's -- correct offsets for the RS w/o need for rear spacers.
They save 30 lbs of unsprung weight over the stockers.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
Yes, Champion RS 98's -- correct offsets for the RS w/o need for rear spacers.
They save 30 lbs of unsprung weight over the stockers.
19"?
do they make 18"?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Perfect background! Where is it?
Santa Susana Pass near Rocky Peak Fire Road -- Ventura County
Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
I hope it's not because they are trying to make manual challenged driver friendly auto mode.
You can be sure they are doing exactly that. Something like half of Porsche's sports cars are sold as automatics these days, both in the US and Germany.

But that's the beauty of DSG...it's both a smooth automatic and a quick manual.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You can be sure they are doing exactly that. Something like half of Porsche's sports cars are sold as automatics these days, both in the US and Germany.

But that's the beauty of DSG...it's both a smooth automatic and a quick manual.
Sad really. They already took the clutch work out of the driving requirement, and people are still so lazy that they can even click the flappy up and down to um, drive?

I don't know why they didn't go with BMW's system. It's a single clutch with some hydraulics hooked up to it, and it shifts at 80ms WOT. This system most likely weighs less than the DSG with less complexity and parts involved.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I don't know why they didn't go with BMW's system. It's a single clutch with some hydraulics hooked up to it, and it shifts at 80ms WOT. This system most likely weighs less than the DSG with less complexity and parts involved.
Because SMG sucks as an automatic (as does Ferrari's F1...note that the Quattroporte now has a torque-converted automatic). BMW's next SMG is rumored to be a DSG-type dual-clutch system.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Sad really. They already took the clutch work out of the driving requirement, and people are still so lazy that they can even click the flappy up and down to um, drive?
Not really. If Porsche didn't sell tens of thousands of automatic-equipped Boxsters, Caymen, Carreras, and Cayennes, there probably wouldn't be a GT line of true performance cars.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

why go on and on about automatic mode seq. in the gt3 forum?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
why go on and on about automatic mode seq. in the gt3 forum?
Because we're talking about future changes that could impact the current cars' values in this thread, and an automatic mode to a DSG-type transmission is likely to be one of them.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have driven a DSG equipped Audi and the transmission is bloody wonderful. I had a 430 and would not buy F1 again. Iy was fun but in the end I prefer three pedals.

The DSG transmission is unique to Borg Warner. It has some Audi technology in it and as a result Audi was granted a multi-year exclusive. That deal is over and BWM has already made a deal with Borg Warner.

The SMG is as Allan says - awful. The Ferrari F1 is OK in a 430 but not in the Maser or less sporting Ferraris. In any case the DSG transmission shifts as fast and much more smoothly. The F1 in auto mode is a poor substitute for a real automatic whereas DSG make a great automatic with better fuel economy than a conventional torque converter.

I will still prefer three pedals - more involving and I do have concerns about the complicated electronics and hydraulics in the manu-matic gear boxes. Still a DSG beats heck out of a tip-tronic.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Because SMG sucks as an automatic (as does Ferrari's F1...note that the Quattroporte now has a torque-converted automatic). BMW's next SMG is rumored to be a DSG-type dual-clutch system.
In the entire time that I had the M3, I used the auto mode once, to demo it to a friend.

I drove it like any other manual car, and it drove fine. It was not meant to be an automatic, and BMW should have followed the Ferrari Enzo model and not bothered with the auto mode.

So for me, I actually prefers the SMG type over DSG, for its simplicity and less weight over the dual clutch DSG.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

How much weight does DSG add, if any??
Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrpc12
I can't imagine them offering 3 transmission choices so the DSG is going to have to have an auto mode. And not everyone wants to operate the clutch pedal and some can't due to injury. And sometimes an auto trans is the only way a spouse will approve a P car purchase. I've finally weened mine off that thank goodness.
Why insist on a Tip in a GT?
Get a Turbo!

Please, leave the GTs to people that care about driving and not just posing.

If you have a disability that doesn't let you use the clutch that is sad but you can always get a Turbo with the Tip. Live with your limitations. Should blind people persist in trying amateur astronomy?

Keeping at least part of the model lineup "pure" gives a lot of credibility to Porsche marketing wise.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have driven a DSG equipped Audi and the transmission is bloody wonderful. I had a 430 and would not buy F1 again. Iy was fun but in the end I prefer three pedals.

The DSG transmission is unique to Borg Warner. It has some Audi technology in it and as a result Audi was granted a multi-year exclusive. That deal is over and BWM has already made a deal with Borg Warner.

The SMG is as Allan says - awful. The Ferrari F1 is OK in a 430 but not in the Maser or less sporting Ferraris. In any case the DSG transmission shifts as fast and much more smoothly. The F1 in auto mode is a poor substitute for a real automatic whereas DSG make a great automatic with better fuel economy than a conventional torque converter.

I will still prefer three pedals - more involving and I do have concerns about the complicated electronics and hydraulics in the manu-matic gear boxes. Still a DSG beats heck out of a tip-tronic.

I thought that it was Porsche who were the ones that sold the rights for VW to use that technology to come up with DSG - not Borg Warner. Someone here posted a few months back that the rights to Porsche's PDK technology was sold to VW in the early 90's for exclusive use for 15 years and THAT was the reason why no Porsche cars came or were coming with PDK or this double clutch system until 2008 or 2009, the years when the rights expired at VW.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andrei - I am a little concerned that a few years froom now we wiol have no choice by a DSG type gear box. We will be told that the lightning fast shifts are faster on the track and auto mode more convenient in traffic. People who want an "image" Porsche will flock to them because they can finally drive one. Have you noticed how many people claim that they bought a tip because of the wife? Going to the Club this weekend?

Bob

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Market Predictions