Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS Market Predictions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Andrei - I am a little concerned that a few years froom now we wiol have no choice by a DSG type gear box. We will be told that the lightning fast shifts are faster on the track and auto mode more convenient in traffic. People who want an "image" Porsche will flock to them because they can finally drive one. Have you noticed how many people claim that they bought a tip because of the wife? Going to the Club this weekend?

Bob
I just chose a wife that can drive stick!

Funny how many guys lose the real purpose of what we do at the track.
It's not the lap time. It's the fun of the whole process of driving.

Can't go to Le Club this weekend. I am still in Mother Russia. Seems like they are figuring out this whole interwebs series of connecting tubes thing here allowing me to post on Rennlist.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Have a great time visiting Mother Russia - the internet is amazing, you sound like you are here in Montreal
Old 06-22-2007, 06:10 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by amaist
I just chose a wife that can drive stick!
Same here.

And really, if it's something so important to me, my wife will accomondate me, even if she has no interest. Just like I do the same for her.

Heck, she takes the GT2 to work from time to time. People are always surprised to see a little blondie driving a car that many men are unable to operate.

Oh, and she doesn't like SMG type transmission, because "I want to heel and toe myself, SMG is cheating."

I am fine with SMG type tranny as long as it does not have an auto mode.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why insist on a Tip in a GT?
Get a Turbo!

Please, leave the GTs to people that care about driving and not just posing.

If you have a disability that doesn't let you use the clutch that is sad but you can always get a Turbo with the Tip. Live with your limitations. Should blind people persist in trying amateur astronomy?

Keeping at least part of the model lineup "pure" gives a lot of credibility to Porsche marketing wise.
Dude, I'm not advocating they offer the GT2 or 3 with a Tip. However, if the DSG is marketed as having higher performance then they probably will offer it in their highest performing cars.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

BMW tried making SMG mandatory on the M5. So many buyers here complained they then also offered a stick in NA only. But the V10 and 7 speed SMG were made to work together, and as a comsequence, the 6 speed manual works awful with the M5.

My guess is that DSG with be offered with the 998 as an option. This reminds me of the debate on ceramic brakes vs. iron.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpc12
But what would they do for people who want/need an automatic? Would they still offer the Tip too?
Originally Posted by mrpc12
Dude, I'm not advocating they offer the GT2 or 3 with a Tip. However, if the DSG is marketed as having higher performance then they probably will offer it in their highest performing cars.
this thread is getting a little confusing.
i think when you asked "Would they still offer the Tip too?" you meant in the models other than
the gt's IF the new seq. (dsg, pdk, paddle shift . . . ) didnt have an automatic mode?
but it kind of looked like you were asking is they were going to offer tip in a gt3.
i don't think anybody questions wether or not the new seq. (dsg, pdk, paddle shift . . . ) will be available in a gt3.
they just hope porsche continues to offer manual.
and "tip" is a dirty word in the gt3 forum.

alan, is still dont know what you mean when you say the new seq. (dsg, pdk, paddle shift . . . )
having an automatic mode could impact the current gt3's value?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Andrei - I am a little concerned that a few years froom now we wiol have no choice by a DSG type gear box. We will be told that the lightning fast shifts are faster on the track and auto mode more convenient in traffic. People who want an "image" Porsche will flock to them because they can finally drive one. Have you noticed how many people claim that they bought a tip because of the wife? Going to the Club this weekend?

Bob
Bob, those that frequently track their cars and are racing purist who prefer total involvement with their cars are a vanishing breed. Technology is now and is in the future.

For an example, all cars in the US by 2010-11 will require stability mangement sytems which if I am not mistaken cannot be disengaged. Now that may slow down some of track devotee's but at least they will be safer. I believe that DSG, F1 or any other similar type of transmission that allows the driver to focus on the road/line rather than playing with the pedals and shifter is a better and safer driver.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
alan, is still dont know what you mean when you say the new seq. (dsg, pdk, paddle shift . . . ) having an automatic mode could impact the current gt3's value?
When I wrote, "Because we're talking about future changes that could impact the current cars' values in this thread, and an automatic mode to a DSG-type transmission is likely to be one of them." I was implying that an automatic mode to a DSG-type transmission is likely to be one of the future changes, not that it would necessarily impact the current cars' values.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:19 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
Bob, those that frequently track their cars and are racing purist who prefer total involvement with their cars are a vanishing breed. Technology is now and is in the future.

For an example, all cars in the US by 2010-11 will require stability mangement sytems which if I am not mistaken cannot be disengaged. Now that may slow down some of track devotee's but at least they will be safer. I believe that DSG, F1 or any other similar type of transmission that allows the driver to focus on the road/line rather than playing with the pedals and shifter is a better and safer driver.
You know that I nearly "always" disagree with Nick (his anti-Porsche bias undermines his objectivity), and that the safer drivers (on the track) are the guys who know how to row the gear box in all situations.

I don't think that Ferrari would sell so many cars if all their customers had to "row the box". It is beyond the ability of many. Some people can steer well, and some people can brake well but when you add the shifting (and rev matching) to the mix in a heart accelerating moment.... well it it differentiates the men from the boys (but the boys think 2 out of 3 ain't bad).

The really fast guys in the Ferrari can utillize the F1 box, and the really slow guys can pretend... but the hard core (because of the challenge) still stick to the manual!

When it is right it is sweet!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob

jaysus maree and guiseppe uncle bob, that;s pretty snotty. i hope your tongue is way beyond your cheek
Old 06-23-2007, 12:46 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
...But the V10 and 7 speed SMG were made to work together, and as a comsequence, the 6 speed manual works awful with the M5...
I've a few friends that will tell you that the SMG also works awful with the V10...I know of one that due to internal ( ) reasons his SMG has been replaced twiced...

Not to mention, oil anyone??
Old 06-23-2007, 02:27 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M3Pete
BMW tried making SMG mandatory on the M5. So many buyers here complained they then also offered a stick in NA only. But the V10 and 7 speed SMG were made to work together, and as a comsequence, the 6 speed manual works awful with the M5.
The 6-speed worked awful with the M5 because BMW never wanted it to work well. They did it to placate the whining masses in the US and to show them: "here is your manual, look how much it sucks, we were right, you were wrong".

It was a gearbox form a 545i. And the traction or stability control was impossible to defeat. Even my M3 has a better gearbox than that.
If they would have spent the effort to make one it would have been a nice alternative to the SMG.

Look at the new M3. Essentially the same engine with 2 less cylinders. Similar torque curve implying similar optimal gear ratios. What is the transmission at launch? A 6 speed manual properly designed for the car.

A DSG type transmission has it's place on enthusiast cars. I was really ranting against any presence of a slushbox on a GT series Porsche.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:07 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I've a few friends that will tell you that the SMG also works awful with the V10...I know of one that due to internal ( ) reasons his SMG has been replaced twiced...

Not to mention, oil anyone??
While there are many documented problems with the E60 M5 SMG, I have had not a single one in 15,000 miles. I love the tranmission. The problem is people get in and want an automatic, which it is not. It must be driven like a manual, you just don't push the clutch. It has little nuances about it (like stop and go and parking lot issues) but you learn how to drive around those if you are a driver. I would never trade my SMG for a 6 speed.

I have an RS and a 997 Cup - the Cup tranmission is great for the track, but not for the street, there is noting like never lifting off the gas from 2nd thru 6th gear. The RS tranmission is great for everything (street or track). What they have done with the tuning for the single mass flywheel is amazing, you would never know there is one in there.

End of the day all these cars are advancing and you got to keep up. But there is nothing wrong with being able to wring out an old school car with a manual tranmission, no traction control or PASM and non abs brakes - those that can, will have no issues with the modern marvel techno cars, they will simply be faster in them.

JCM
Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I would put it slightly differently... A DSG type transmission has no place in a sports car. (jmo, of course!)

A DSG type transmission has it's place on enthusiast cars.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
While there are many documented problems with the E60 M5 SMG, I have had not a single one in 15,000 miles. I love the tranmission. The problem is people get in and want an automatic, which it is not. It must be driven like a manual, you just don't push the clutch. It has little nuances about it (like stop and go and parking lot issues) but you learn how to drive around those if you are a driver. I would never trade my SMG for a 6 speed.

I have an RS and a 997 Cup - the Cup tranmission is great for the track, but not for the street, there is noting like never lifting off the gas from 2nd thru 6th gear. The RS tranmission is great for everything (street or track). What they have done with the tuning for the single mass flywheel is amazing, you would never know there is one in there.

End of the day all these cars are advancing and you got to keep up. But there is nothing wrong with being able to wring out an old school car with a manual tranmission, no traction control or PASM and non abs brakes - those that can, will have no issues with the modern marvel techno cars, they will simply be faster in them.

JCM
very well said.

i would love to have a cup gear box on track. but imagine what the abuse the gears are going through when the computer changes gear that fast. i am just afraid the hit on my wallet after a few thousand miles of track usage. however, if one can afford it, it must be a blast to bang through the gears at wot.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Market Predictions