Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How well does your rear end grab?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of pure curiosity, say you had Michelin 'X' tires and 4-18" rims and 4-19" rims. Wouldn't the 19" rims& tires work better because of a bigger contact patch?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

I'm wondering that as well as it seems logical that the 19" have larger contact patch. I understand a lot of 997 GT3 owners are going to 18" for track use for less weight. Is the larger sidewall (softer) on the 18" contribute to better grip in the rear?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlennMc
Silly question, but you did you go on track with any of this tyre sidewall black stuff ??G.
Good point, but no, my tires are naked.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 AM
spr10r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I'm wondering that as well as it seems logical that the 19" have larger contact patch. I understand a lot of 997 GT3 owners are going to 18" for track use for less weight. Is the larger sidewall (softer) on the 18" contribute to better grip in the rear?
I remain convinced that the contact patch area is fundamentally a function of the pressure in the tyre and the weight on the wheel. Generally, the lower the diameter, the lower the running presure and the greater the contact patch. The shape of the contact patch is related to the width, and wide tyres typical of a large dia. get closer to an ideal circular patch: The shape of the patch is generally more key than the actual area.
On flat surfaces i find it tough to loose grip at the back without judicous right pedal, but at cold 36psi+ rear it skips on bumps in an excitring way.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

This is starting to concern me, I have an 08 RS on order great car to look at but what good is it if you can't track it with confidence. They are supposed to be track focused production cars?

See my other post video spins @ Limerock many owners are spinning/crashing there brand new cars?

I hope there is a fix for this.

Originally Posted by Ray G
Good point, but no, my tires are naked.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3
This is starting to concern me, I have an 08 RS on order great car to look at but what good is it if you can't track it with confidence. They are supposed to be track focused production cars?

See my other post video spins @ Limerock many owners are spinning/crashing there brand new cars?

I hope there is a fix for this.
you just need the normal mpsc tires and you be fine.
911 is intrinsically challenging to drive, that's part of the fun.
test it out, change alignmentment, play with tires....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe 18 inchers are in my future.
I don't think it'd be possible to go with 18" wheels in your case since you have the PCCBs with the 380mm rotors up front. 18" wheels won't clear those.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great color 993, Ocean Blue?

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
What's amazing to me is how the EVO mag videos and some of the other tests resulted in such high ratings for the car. I am assuming they were using OEM tire/wheel combos. I have yet to take mine to the track so I will withhold my "official" comment until I do so.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Haven't read carefully through the replies. However, my first track day with my car and I was disappointed as the rear was a twitchy *****. Very daunting. But puckering in 90 mph corners.

Until I really pushed the car hard and after some hot lapping stressing the tires and managing pressures did the grip 'come in.' From that point on, it felt exactly like I expected. Sub-hoosier grip but with perma-grin g-force ear to ear grins.

My theory: street miles harden up these MPSCs and they need to be scrubbed in pretty hard on track before they come in. But they will, but it takes a good bit of abrasion and heat. These tires are not fast out of the box after notable street miles.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
, my first rear was a twitchy *****. Very daunting. But puckering in corners.

Until I really pushed hard and after some hot lapping and pressure did the grip 'come in.' From that point on, it felt exactly like I expected. grip but with perma force.

My theory: harden up and scrub pretty hard before they come. But they will, it takes a good bit of abrasion and heat. These are not fast out of the box.

Dude....what's your point and how do you come in here cracking like that?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My alignment was checked, and it was good. It's now set to the recommended track setting from the manual. I am also having a new set of tires mounted. I will be going to the track July 4th to test out the setup. I have a theory that it is the tires. For whatever reason, the more laps, the slippery they got (even when adjusting pressure down). If it were a suspension problem, it would not change from lap to lap. The tires behaved just like heat-cycled out rubber. Maybe I got an old set, or driving on the street altered them. I don't know, but I'll check back after July 4th.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Would be interesting to see if my Pirelli's offer any relief on this matter? Guess we'll find out this weekend- I'll be at Lowe's.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:50 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. That's interesting... and disappointing. I plan to set mine to the recommended track settings in the manual so we have a known starting point.

I think you are the first person other than myself to say they had rear traction issues.

Maybe 18 inchers are in my future.
I said it in a post 2 months ago when I came back from button willow and described how greasy my back end was on corner exits

i learned that my tire pressure was too high and that my sway bars were off.

i dropped pressed to 28/30 at the start of a session and let it build to 34/36 and it was much better - i also softened the fronts and stiffened the rear.

i have had better luck since then but it still wants to step out more than i would expect under throttle exiting a corner.

Greg
Old 06-29-2007, 04:52 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
Haven't read carefully through the replies. However, my first track day with my car and I was disappointed as the rear was a twitchy *****. Very daunting. But puckering in 90 mph corners.

Until I really pushed the car hard and after some hot lapping stressing the tires and managing pressures did the grip 'come in.' From that point on, it felt exactly like I expected. Sub-hoosier grip but with perma-grin g-force ear to ear grins.

My theory: street miles harden up these MPSCs and they need to be scrubbed in pretty hard on track before they come in. But they will, but it takes a good bit of abrasion and heat. These tires are not fast out of the box after notable street miles.
interesting observation - i have noticed that my tires do get better with wear during the end of the track days as well
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
interesting observation - i have noticed that my tires do get better with wear during the end of the track days as well
that is true, but even then it's not that grippy. and now my tire is all done.

Quick Reply: How well does your rear end grab?