MPSC update after 7000miles ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MPSC update after 7000miles ...

- I have done 7000 miles on the car since I picked it up in late December

- approx 5500miles of the 7000 were done with the factory Track Settings (-2 front, -2.5 rear)

- Not sure exactly how many track miles of the 7000 are trackdays but I have completed 9 tracks days (4 at Limerock, 3 at Watkins and 2 at VIR) - most of these are basically 4 sessions per day at 25 minutes - the rest of the miles are hyway driving for the most part to from events, etc

Update
- i blew a rear tire yesterday while driving from NJ to Toronto around Albany on the I90 (upate - Porsche is not allowed to pick up cars on this section of road as a local tow company has an exclusive and I waited 3hrs on the side of the road while Porsche figured this out)
- phoned the local dealer but Tirerack was able to get the tires to the dealer for $500 less and the very nice service guy didn't have the authority to match the Tirerack price
- both the rear tires have the metal cords showing on the inside of the tires (bad me for not seeing this) but the outsides were fine (which I was looking at)
- the fronts with -2 camber look perfectly worn across the tire (perfect) and I think the fronts would probably be good for another 5000miles

What I'm going to do
- when I get back to my local shop I'm going to have the rear camber dialed back to -2 from -2.5 and I'm going to very slightly increase the front camber to -2.25 and hopefully this will be a good "aggressive street" setup that will result in 10 trackdays / 10,000 miles on a set of Porsche OE MPSCs
- I will say that my first 3 days at Limerock were in cold / cold wet weather and they were also my first outings with the car so maybe this is somewhat hopeful thinking if the weather is better and I'm also pushing the car far more than I use to.

Finally (Brake Pad Update for PCCBs)
- with the wheels off and up on the lift I inspected the pads and if the dealer here has new sensors I'm going to have them change the pads
- front pads have approx 6mm (half of the original 12mm) left but the rears are down to maybe 2mm
- so it would appear that for you PCCB guys, you are going to need 3 sets of rear pads for every 2 sets of fronts if you keep the car that long (one more trackday (=10 for me) and maybe another 2000 street miles (=9000miles) is about the max for the rear pads.

Front Lip spoiller and towing
- probably a good idea for all of you to get familair with how to remove the front lip (1 screw on either side and then just pull it off) - we used lots of wood planks and it was still basically necessary to remove it
- also, even with lots of wood and the front lip off, the issue is not the front but the rear exhaust when it is getting pulled up onto the flatbed - make sure when this happens to you that you get enough wood under the rear wheels to avoid the exhaust scrapping (we did but just don't assume that once the front is clear tha you are OK because you are not the exhaust WILL bottom out)

Paul

Last edited by 997gt3north; 06-05-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info. Thanks. Btw, what alignment settings due you have right now?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the -2 front and -2.5 in the back as well as per the manual, but it seems most people here have it reversed, with -2.5 front and -2 in the rear.

Is the manual wrong?

I too have a lot more wear in the rear on the inside tread - and its much more worn on the drivers side, perhaps due to my weight (210 lbs) on that side????

I will probably make the same adjustment - let us know how it feels on the track.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
I have the -2 front and -2.5 in the back as well as per the manual, but it seems most people here have it reversed, with -2.5 front and -2 in the rear.

Is the manual wrong?

I too have a lot more wear in the rear on the inside tread - and its much more worn on the drivers side, perhaps due to my weight (210 lbs) on that side????

I will probably make the same adjustment - let us know how it feels on the track.

Thanks,
Greg
you can add weight on the driver side during alignment to simulate driver weight. or it could be a that you've been on a track with a lot of right handers.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by crispenigl

Is the manual wrong?

Thanks,
Greg
Maunual is correct
- people are reversing it if they want the rear to be more happy and the front to have more grip - obviously Porsche is not likely to recommend this kind of setup but I think we will know by the end of the summer what the verduct is with this setup (my own personal experience is that i find the rear end to already be loose enough and may consider softening up the rear sway bar by one hole but I do agree that the front could use a little more grip - and given what I saw today with the front tires being perfectly worn across the tread running -2 camber - i think that they could likely handle a little more camber
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Great info. Thanks. Btw, what alignment settings due you have right now?

still have the factory track allignment
Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

interesting...

i have 4k on the car, 500 track miles, the tire got at most another 200 track miles left.
rotors has mulitple cracks another 3-400 track miles my fronts are done.
pads about the same life left as rotors (oem pads).

2F/2.5R
1 from soft Front/ full stiff Rear
very even tire wear all corners.
fast corners are fairly neutral (when i have grip on those ****ty tires).
slower turns, i now get push...
i will got one hole softer up front to see if i can get more front end grip.
i dont want to go softer in the back, i like how it feels right now. i can slide it when i want, with throttle i can plant it.

Quick Reply: MPSC update after 7000miles ...