Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 or 997 TT - New Member

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray G
The clutch in the 997TT feels like a 996TT clutch. It is lighter than the non-turbo cars, and a lot lighter than the GT3 clutch. Also, the engagement point is higher. Switching between the GT3 and TT takes a few minutes of adjustment. The clutch pedal pressure on the GT3 is similar to the 996 GT3, and firmer than the C2S or C4S.
And in my case, a few stalls.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After three years and 28K miles, I just couldn't do it anymore and had to take a bath and get rid of my 996 Turbo.

I hated AWD and PSM that much. Oh, and the over assisted clutch was icing on the cake.

997 Turbo has even more electronics to make the car even more drive itself.

If I were you, I would find a dealer that will do MSRP on 997 GT3, and ditch the 997 Turbo.

What fun is it to drive a car that practically drives itself?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
And in my case, a few stalls.
The 996 Turbo clutch p*ssed me off to no end.

It had absolutely zero feel, and is a pain in the **** to drive on hills. The non assisted GT2 clutch just grabs and goes at the same spot, every time.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by eclou
The 997TT clutch is comfortable like silk. Although my wife is accustomed to driving manual, she is small (5'3"/100lb) and high effort clutches frustrate her. She drives the 997TT clutch in Houston traffic and on the track with nary a complaint.
My wife enjoys driving the non assisted GT2 clutch much more than she ever did with the over assisted Turbo clutch.

The biggest reason is predictability. She is not stressed out like crazy when she is stuck on a hill in the GT2, because the clutch just grabs the goes at the same spot every time.

The Turbo clutch? No so much. Which really really stressed her out whenever the Turbo was on a hill.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What part of Georgia? If you HAVE to choose between to the two, get them both. Seriously, get the TT and keep the GT3. The worst that can happen is that you sell one of them. You might lose a couple of bucks on the TT, but you could possible make a couple on the GT3. Whatever you do, make sure you drive a GT3 before you give it up. It is truly a tremendous driving experience. The TT is a screaming fast, more refined car in my opinion. GT3=track TT=valet

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
The 996 Turbo clutch p*ssed me off to no end.

It had absolutely zero feel, and is a pain in the **** to drive on hills. The non assisted GT2 clutch just grabs and goes at the same spot, every time.
Yeah, I like the non-assisted clutch much better too. However, I never had a problem with unpredictable engagement on the boosted clutches.

My first 996TT had an awful clutch feel. The service could not find anything wrong with it. Finally when I traded up to a newer model year 996TT, the clutch felt better.

The main thing I dislike about the Turbo clutch, is that you have to let it out so far before it grabs. The GT3 (and I assume your GT2) is razor sharp precise.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

2BB0730 - I live in ATL, GA. I have one choice and its either TT or GT3. I like the wide body of the TT but I like the characteristics of the GT3(on paper and from review of others - not mags). My 01 TT was a horrible clutch feel and i contributed my bad experience due to it being a new model year. But perhaps it was just that bad. I understand about the engagement when lifting off the clutch. I stalled it initally before I found it's grab zone.

I read the European review about the 997 GT3 being streetable but then again its a review of a biased P-Car driver who loves the GT3 and knocks the TT.

Would switching to PS2's give help out for the street? The performance numbers don't show that much acceleration differences up to about 100mph. Are the numbers that far off?

I have found two white TT's that are ready to be sold with the options that I would want except for Adaptive Seats. They had sport seats though.

Decisions Decisions. Stucka - you drive your GT2 daily?

Thank you again for the great responses!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can approach this decision from several perspectives (emotional, impulsive, pragmatic) or assemble weighted assessments of features and benefits or any number of criteria. If this is to impress your colleagues or set your pecking order at the club, I don't care what you buy. But you're here at Rennlist, so I'm thinking you're not measuring a car by its "chick magnet" quotient (see "Ferrari" and "Lamborghini" or "Hummer" or see "Gold Digger" and "High Maintenance Bitch" or "First Date Hummer" if you see what I mean ...)

This level of Porsche is for enthusiasts (for the most part) and it's not about status in the parking lot outside work or the club, it's not transport or practicality. Once you're deciding on a car such as a Turbo or a GT3, you're rewarding yourself for a level of achievement in life. You're taking some points off the score card and you're affording yourself a luxury in life.

At the end of the day, you'll find yourself thinking about one car before everything else.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Decisions Decisions. Stucka - you drive your GT2 daily?

Thank you again for the great responses!!!
Stuka, Sturzkampftflugzeug.

Yes, I do drive my GT2 daily. Some times a day a week, sometimes almost five days a week.

The lip spoiler is chewed up from daily driving, but that's the price of driving the GT2 in the city and in and out of crap driveways.

Now that I have lived with it for a while, I would suggest that for daily driving, keep the sports seats. It's a pain to put stuff in the back with the GT3 seats. Though comfort wise, I really didn't find the GT3 seats uncomfortable.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray G
The main thing I dislike about the Turbo clutch, is that you have to let it out so far before it grabs. The GT3 (and I assume your GT2) is razor sharp precise.

I agree that the 997TT could use something akin to the old "clutch stop" mod done in the E36M3 - an adjustable rubber stopper to limit the travel of the clutch to just below the engagement point.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Carrera GT - I have never bought a car for anyone but me. Don't need to impress anyone but me and I would be more impressed once my ability to use 6/10ths of the cars capability.

I currently drive a M5 E39 6 Speed it's clutch is not light but not heavy. I used to drive my friends Cobra MT and the clutch is heavy. So I think the heavy clutch is not going ot bother me.

I have an order for an 08 and I have kept it. The oppurtunity to jump on the 997TT allocation that just came up for July delivery has passed and I am okay with that. If I decide that the 997TT is for me before my 08 comes in then I am sure I can find a 997TT below MSRP at that time.

If I took the daily driver aspect out of the car - the resounding theme I get from GT3/RS drivers is that its rewarding, engaging and connected. I am sure at my level the 997TT would be more than I could even handle, but I really want engaging and the connected feel going into a sharp turn or winding road.

So unless a deal comes up on a 997TT that I can't pass - I think I will stick with the 08 GT3. I have found many whites ones but many are missing the adaptive sport seats and asking over MSRP. I will just wait and get exactly what I want.

Here are the options - please let me know your opinions. I know it's a personal thing. I always buy cars knowing that I most likely will have to sell it to someone else and I would rather appease the masses when offering a car up for sale.

1) Carrera White
2) Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats
3) Silver Seat Belts
4) Deviated Stiching(silver) on the leather trim/seats
5) PCM 2.1 - Phone Module is antiquated(so that is a no go )
6) Sports Chrono
7) GT3 Logo on the arm rest Leather
8) Thicker Smooth Leather Steering Wheel
9) Sound Plus
10) Heated Seats
11) Crest in Headrest
12) CD Changer(6 disc)

That's all for now.

Ray G - please let me know if you are around for a weekend - i could pehaps meet up with you and a few others P-Car in your area. I would love the oppurtunity to take a ride in your car. I am trying to line up a TT still just to make sure.

Everyone else - thank you so much for your input and help. It's nice to have REAL enthusiasts and drivers to get answers and opinions from.

Thank you very much!!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
2) Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats
Do you think you'll leave the adaptive function on all the time? Have you driven a car with adaptives?

I find adaptive seats really annoying, constantly inflating and deflating. Regular sport seats are more than adequate to hold you in position during spirited driving, and they're also lighter than adaptives. Just a preference thing.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Yeah I drove a regular 997-S with adaptive sport seats. I just like the ability to adjust lumbar, bolster, etc. I think the sport seats are very nice - but I like the extra ability to position other areas.

I don't know if you can turn them off/on at will or not. I know many people in the 996 TT or GT3's didn't complain about not being able to adjust. So I could live without it but since I get a chance to order it this way I figured why not.

The White 997TT that I have looked at doesn't have them and it was one of the turn off's of why I haven't entertained it. Maybe I should rethink that. Well besides the fact that I can't make up my mind on it yet. The GT3 has moved back to the top of my list again.

I am sure I can't go wrong either way.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Of course, all IMHO:

1) Carrera White: Best resale color most likely
2) Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats: Yes on full leather, no on adaptives. I'm with nkhalidi. The adaptives are annoying. I had them on my 997S launch car.
3) Silver Seat Belts: Nice
4) Deviated Stiching(silver) on the leather trim/seats: Waste of money IMO
5) PCM 2.1 - Phone Module is antiquated(so that is a no go ): Not a fan of electronics such as PCM in the GT3
6) Sports Chrono: Bad option in the GT3 IMO. It does nothing but add a laptimer that is useless and an ugly wart on the dashboard
7) GT3 Logo on the arm rest Leather: Nice touch. . . but personal decision if its worth the money. I don't need the logo to remind me what I'm driving
8) Thicker Smooth Leather Steering Wheel: I did this as well. I like the leather wheel
9) Sound Plus: Hmmm, more weight and doesn't sound that great. I skipped it.
10) Heated Seats: Only if you live in the Rustbelt.
11) Crest in Headrest: See 7 above
12) CD Changer(6 disc): Single disc is good for me, especially since I don't do road trips in the 3 other than to a distant track

You should add BiXenons. And if going full leather, get the door finishers in leather. I'd certainly do that before the GT3 logo and crest; the door finishers in plastic stand out (not in a good way).
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm told white and silver are the expected popular colors.
Full leather is expensive but really lifts the cabin quality and adds to the door trim etc.
Adaptive seats are a waste -- heavy and ineffective, plus you get zero dollars on resale.
pcm is probably not a bad idea, but expensive and while the details say it adds only a few hundred grams, that's for the head unit only, not the DVD drive under the seat and the wiring etc. but this is not a "stripper" car, so no biggee ... I'd do it if I had $2K+ to spare in the order
chrono is horrible. DELETE! : )
I like getting GT3 logos where possible. Notice the branding on the RS is everywhere -- same for the headrests, it adds something to the sports cars but looks cooky in the SUVs.
forget the thick leather wheel, the Alcantara wheel is great and doesn't wear out
the
heated seats are great, in my humble, driving with windows down on and warm seats with crisp, cool air through the windows is a great feeling
CD changer is junk. DELETE! waste of space and a hassle -- save the cash and get an iPod interface or forget the sound plus idea too (I've not heard anyway say it helps ... and the factory sound is junk) then get after-market amps and speakers if that's part of the appeal ... and set aside the "listen to the engine, man ..." cliches ... sometimes it's nice to be covering miles in peace and quiet and want to hear the music or listen to the radio ... : )

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 or 997 TT - New Member