Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS ROW seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khaug
The issue, as I see it, is why GT3 customers ($106K+) are forced to replace OE seats with seats that will accommodate 6-point harnesses!.

PCNA, you haven't done your homework! No way should your customers be forced to pay big bucks for aftermarket seats just to accommodate PCA track requirements, (harness slots and crotch strap slots). And, on top of the totally inept seating requirements, you're forced to discard the air bags in the stock "sport" seats when you replace the OE seats with aftermarket seats!

Porsche marketing, you've really dropped the ball here! This oughta be grounds for a bunch of Class-action suits!
Karl

The issue really is that PCNA sells the cars at 'bargain basement' prices compared to the rest of the world. Something has to give, sure this discount is hugely subsidised by the skilful use of derivatives and FX operations. PAG does several things to maintain margins on cars for PCNA, including semi-standardised specifications (compared with Germany), and 'cost effective' options.
If fitting seats which can be used with 5 or 6 point harnesses as well as the standard 3 point retracting, not only would the seats be comparatively expensive, and not track friendly (too easily movable fore and aft with electric adjustment), but a harness bar would have to be fitted as well, more cost!

R+C
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
RMN22AJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think black/black is a rock solid choice. While you're nowhere near in the hunt for a 599 until you build up the history, getting a new car at $40K over isn't such a bad proposition and I'm sure there are guys with their history 355's and 360's wondering why they've gone through multiples of that premium and still waiting for their 430. At least you can be reasonably assured of most of that premium now carrying forward to your next one. Even if this is your first and last, you're not doing so badly and will recoup much of that spread.
Thanks, I am just happy I was able to spec the car and be the first owner. The price is fair and acceptable. This how I have bought Porsche's for years - to me building a car is a big part of the experience. The RS allocation, build, Rennlist discussions, build changes, delivery, first drive, first track experience is what it is all about.

Last edited by RMN22AJR; 05-18-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Robin - Are the euro seats different than the euro GT3 seats I buy from Gert? I find them very comfortable. Yes, there are a few people who cannot sit in my car, but that's their problem. I am aware of pilot seats as well as the fact that cockpit ergonomics have changed to deal with the fact that modern day pilots are larger than they were years ago. That is not to say less fit, rather they are taller and proportionately larger in all dimensions.

Karl - my take on PCNA is that they don't want us to track our cars.

Best,
Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Bob

...it was blindingly obvious that the seats we were using would not suit larger and taller Americans, or even Canadians.

R+C
Uhhh, did you just call me fat?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Uhhh, did you just call me fat?
larger and taller...... per ardua ad astra

did you mean faat?

R+C
Old 05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Robin - Are the euro seats different than the euro GT3 seats I buy from Gert?

Best,
Bob

I don't 'know', but I think so. At one stage several models of the seats came in 3 different sizes for different sized people. According to the people at Zuffenhausen, switching from electrical to manually adjustable seats lets the seat be lowered 2 1/2 inches. They actually had some fitments for the 996 cars that made this simpler to implement, depending on the seat involved.

What struck me with the 997 was the 'lack' of shoulder room, I put this down to the way the seats were mounted in the car, as I am under 150 lbs and my co driver under 160 lbs, both 5'8" - 5'9" it was surprising.

R+C
Old 05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by khaug
The issue, as I see it, is why GT3 customers ($106K+) are forced to replace OE seats with seats that will accommodate 6-point harnesses!.

PCNA, you haven't done your homework! No way should your customers be forced to pay big bucks for aftermarket seats just to accommodate PCA track requirements, (harness slots and crotch strap slots). And, on top of the totally inept seating requirements, you're forced to discard the air bags in the stock "sport" seats when you replace the OE seats with aftermarket seats!

Porsche maketing, you've really dropped the ball here! This oughta be grounds for a bunch of Class-action suits!
You can cancel your class action suit (that kind of behaviour is silly anyway, don't buy the car if you don't like it), PCA doesn't require 6-point harness for the track days (DEs), racing is different but these cars aren't race cars.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Matt R
AutoX

Equal restraint (driver/passenger)is what's required to my knowledge, for DEs.
Matt
Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

^applies only when you're green cause after that, you ain't suppose to have passenger.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CWay27
^applies only when you're green cause after that, you ain't suppose to have passenger.
Not true. How are you going to get check out rides?
Also anyone can benefit from an instructor riding with them once in a while.

And instructors giving rides are obviously subject to the same rule.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Carl got owned! Back to green you go.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

As kinda of the keeper of the rules in the local region, here's the facts in Rennsport:

1) All cars used at DE must have two seats.
2) Driver and Passenger require equal restraint.
3) Use of a harness with a seat not having locating holes for the shoulder straps is allowed but occupants must wear the OEM three point belt over the harness.

Cway - you might indeed have a passenger - an instructor who may ride with you for a variety of reasons:
- flaggers observe that you are having a hard time.
- you go wheels off or spin (corrective action)
- you ask for help (the best reason).

Best,
Old 05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Cway - you might indeed have a passenger - an instructor who may ride with you for a variety of reasons:
- flaggers observe that you are having a hard time.
- you go wheels off or spin (corrective action)
- you ask for help (the best reason).

Best,
I had read in the Rennsport book what Matt has just stated and tought it was applicable to everybody until I noticed an instructor, driving a polar silver 993 with one race seat and one set of belts(110% sure on the seat but 90% for belt) and BTW, he now drives a black GT3 with TE37s.

Hey Chris, I'll stay green for as long as it takes.......
Old 05-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Not true. How are you going to get check out rides?
Also anyone can benefit from an instructor riding with them once in a while.

And instructors giving rides are obviously subject to the same rule.
What he said

Quick Reply: GT3RS ROW seats