Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

170 2008 GT3 RS coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
...cars like the GT3 and especially the GT3RS should not linger in dealer inventory and should be build to order only.
Well, they are...it's just that laws here (in CA at least) allow for full return of deposits right up to the day of delivery if a customer decides to back out for whatever reason.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My dealer confirmed the RS for '08.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
waiting list worries
fears of overproduction
shortage of pumpkins
eclou for Rennlist poet laureate!

There's enough drama on this board to rival junior high.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Chris M - Glad to hear you will get one.

I believe that some dealers ordered cars with a lot of costly and non functional (performance) options to simply make more money.

I believe that PCNA will play an active role in the RS process to discourage speculators and that includes dealers who mysteriously obtained cars which they are selling or trying to sell for way over list price.

The C-GT was ruined by speculators who placed multiple orders at multiple dealers to make sure they got at least one. This mislead PAG into thinking that demand was far higher than it really was.

It would be wise of PCNA to try and ensure that the cars get to real buyers at list and discourage speculation.

Nick - FWIW - I took delivery of my RS and decided to sell my 430. The Porsche is superior in every way but one. My 430 was sold for very very close to what I paid for it (MSRP).. In that regard Ferrari wins hands down.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
They confirmed it is coming .... but that is all. They expect 2 or 3. I do have a deposit in for an '08 GT3 or RS but at this point I don't know if I'm going to get an allocation or even if I'll take it should I receive the opportunity to purchase one.

My thinking is keeping my Carrera S and picking up a lightly used 996 GT3 and using it on the track. I keep my nice street car and can modify the 996 for the track and so I can fit in it without rubbing my helmet on the headliner. Keeping my S and picking up a 996 will be less $ than trading in. Something to think about huh?

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do as I have some things to settle at the office before I do anything.

Hopefully more cars go to enthusiasts and not to speculators and poseurs.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I believe that some dealers ordered cars with a lot of costly and non functional (performance) options to simply make more money.

I believe that PCNA will play an active role in the RS process to discourage speculators and that includes dealers who mysteriously obtained cars which they are selling or trying to sell for way over list price.

The C-GT was ruined by speculators who placed multiple orders at multiple dealers to make sure they got at least one. This mislead PAG into thinking that demand was far higher than it really was.

It would be wise of PCNA to try and ensure that the cars get to real buyers at list and discourage speculation.

Nick - FWIW - I took delivery of my RS and decided to sell my 430. The Porsche is superior in every way but one. My 430 was sold for very very close to what I paid for it (MSRP).. In that regard Ferrari wins hands down.
Bob, I would point out that in acceleration, the 430 beats the RS hands down. Additionally, you are comparing a car that is several years old to Porsches latest hard core track car. Though the 430 is a capable track car, it has many other redeeming attributes for fun driving on public roads.

I guess what I am saying is that a car is often more than the sum of its performance statistic's. People like yourself who track cars would find hard core dedicated track cars more to your liking.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, they are...it's just that laws here (in CA at least) allow for full return of deposits right up to the day of delivery if a customer decides to back out for whatever reason.
Alan that is not necessarily true. If the car is unique, special ordered and limited production a dealer can keep your deposit in CA.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heh, it's funny, when I clicked in, there was a topic saying there won't be more 08 RSs and this thread under it is saying there will.

If you need to know, see a quote from couple months back.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I can understand it being frustrating but when the topic is "hot" like this (and i.e. Peter S. has said there won't be '08 RS), I'd expect you understand me when I say there will be RS in '08 and I will not tell you how I know, I just do.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I am sure this car is good but it is beyond my comprehension how anyone would pay over MSRP for it. It has to be the market coup of the 21st Century.
I believe that the same analysis applies to the 430. Any premium you pay on a new F-car or P-car is lost almost immediately. I only purchased my Stradale and 430 because I could get the cars at MSRP.

Now, if you bought a V-8 Ferrari in recent times (360/430) for MSRP, your depreciation will be limited. I can't say the same for some of my past P-car purchases (GT2 and 996TT), but I still enjoyed those cars immensely.

And, Nick....this car is good.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW - I took delivery of my RS and decided to sell my 430. The Porsche is superior in every way but one. My 430 was sold for very very close to what I paid for it (MSRP).. In that regard Ferrari wins hands down.

Bob,

Me too (sold the 430)....and I agree 100% with your analysis.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack
I believe that the same analysis applies to the 430. Any premium you pay on a new F-car or P-car is lost almost immediately. I only purchased my Stradale and 430 because I could get the cars at MSRP.

Now, if you bought a V-8 Ferrari in recent times (360/430) for MSRP, your depreciation will be limited. I can't say the same for some of my past P-car purchases (GT2 and 996TT), but I still enjoyed those cars immensely.

And, Nick....this car is good.
Jack I have no doubt that it is.

Yet the difference in time on the Ring between the now older 430 and the RS is only 8 sec. 7.56 and 7.48. The 8 sec difference can be explained by a number of factors including tires, weather, driver and set up. Most of these car are very close in performance including the Z06 which did the Ring accoding to a recent German magazine test in 7.49.

BTW, regarding paying a premium for a Ferrari and a Porsche, I believe there is a huge difference between the two. Whereas with a Ferrari you limit your depreciation, you also get an opportunity in the future to buy one at MSRP. With a Porsche, paying a premium is no different than lighting a match to the money because it is highly unlikely the car will sell for anywhere near the inflated price.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
Any premium you pay on a new F-car or P-car is lost almost immediately.
on a porsche yes in addition to normal depreciation. on a 430/360 you would loose some of the markup but still be over msrp in most year models.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
BTW, regarding paying a premium for a Ferrari and a Porsche, I believe there is a huge difference between the two...
have to agree
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doc2s
on a porsche yes in addition to normal depreciation. on a 430/360 you would loose some of the markup but still be over msrp in most year models.
I agree, as long as the mileage is kept low. Put decent mileage on the F-car and it does depreciate significantly. Don't get me wrong, F-cars are great -- I've had three since 2000 and will probably have more before I'm in the walker.

While all my recent V-8 F-cars have been reasonably reliable, getting timely service and parts is not up to par with Porsche. It seems the service departments at most F-dealers feel that you should leave them the car for several weeks (and be thankful it didn't take months) to resolve reasonably simple issues. I had some defective factory carbon air boxes on my car -- the dealer ordered replacements and they still haven't arrived from Italy, almost two years later. Also, F-cars are just more fragile than P-cars, if you know what I mean.

Just my two cents and probably worth less.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 AM
frayed
Race Car

Well Bob you certainly aren't the first to do exactly that. As you know, a few others preceded you with that same move.

Anyway, have you gotten a chance to compare the feel of the RS vs. the 3?

Quick Reply: 170 2008 GT3 RS coming