170 2008 GT3 RS coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
Consistent with what I've heard recently from a reliable source.

I think it's great news -- spread the joy.

I just want to see the progress photos of how you got that RS over that driveway curb. : )
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
+1 - Who cares how many, so long as every real enthusiast gets one! It is not an investment and Porsche owes you no favors as a customer, other than giving you a product you want which the RS seems to be for those who have bought them.

Porsche is not your investment manager however they should be part of your entertainment budget whether its a Boxter, RS or CGT!

JCM
Right on, John -- big surprise that we agree.

I'm thrilled to have purchased my "spec'd" RS from a reputable dealer at MSRP and fully expect my depreciating asset (after all, it is an automobile) to depreciate over time. What a shocker!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be great and I hope it is true! I only feel bad for those that got sucked into the hype and paid 25 - 50k over.

I think Porsche should be more honest about their plans. They were quite clear in the beginning that they would only build 220 or so cars and that was it. If they build more they lied and mislead their customers to create demand. They should have said it is a limited production car and we will build as many as the market demands.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Whenever the execs at PCNA/PAG are having a bad day, all they have to do is click on one of these threads and they'll be laughing to the point of soiling their starched undergarments. There is more contrived drama on this subforum of Rennlist than one would expect from such a group of accomplished professionals. It's just a car. There will be even better ones in the coming years.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton

I JUST CANCELED MY JULY 17th BUILD!!!! WHEN WILL PORSCHE EVER LEARN.
SCREW YOUR BEST CUSTOMERS...make a profit at any cost.
Are you implying you cancelled your RS order specifically because Porsche decided to up production?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
I think Porsche should be more honest about their plans. They were quite clear in the beginning that they would only build 220 or so cars and that was it. If they build more they lied and mislead their customers to create demand. They should have said it is a limited production car and we will build as many as the market demands.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there something in print stating they would only build X number of cars? Any dash plaques or other silly "limited production" identification (like the 997 Club Coupe)? As far as I know, the 'limited' number was just one of many rumors spread across the internet. Yes, they may have initially planned to only build 220 or so, but I don't recall anything "clear" about there being no possibility of more than that...which is why some of us have been speculating all along that there would be more, and questioning why anybody would pay $50k over MSRP for one now.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alan makes an excellent point. Where is the press release that says they were only going to make X number of cars?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Remember the very first RS ?

Same story........they needed to build 500 to race and the marketing department said......."ve vill never sell zat many".......and look what happened..........1,580 units went out the door.

IMHO any car produced in a quantity of around 1,000 over it's life span is collectible. We are talking about under 500 GT3RS's in total.....

Last edited by YYC930; 05-09-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
IMHO any car prodoced in a quantity of around 1,000 over it's life span is collectible. We are talking about under 500 GT3RS's in total.....
Not to get off topic, but production numbers alone don't determine collectibility. Regarding the GT3RS, worldwide production needs to be considered. And until the 998 is introduced, the 997's life span isn't complete.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
There are too many heavily optioned GT3s on dealer lots already. Who the hell needs NAV, deviated stitching, leather surrounded cabin light, etc, etc. junk in a GT3. The guys who are supposed to be the target GT3 market can wait for the car for several months. Spoiled kids of Saudi princes can get other cars off the lot.
Come on Amaist! To each his own, no? If some guy wants deviating stitching on his GT3 because he feels it suits him more then a C2S, then, what the hell.

NAV or not, seeing a GT3 just makes me smile. In fact it is those over optionned GT3's and Cayenne's that makes the CGT and RS a reality. More power to 'em.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpc12
Alan makes an excellent point. Where is the press release that says they were only going to make X number of cars?
Apparently Porsche must be sensitive to overproduction since they refuse (so we are led to believe) to meet demand. Doesn't that imply a limited production approach? Or is Porsche slowing opening the valve building demand as rumors abound what a hot car this is?

I am sure this car is good but it is beyond my comprehension how anyone would pay over MSRP for it. It has to be the market coup of the 21st Century.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

This thread and several others are full of rumours, conjecture, hearsay, etc. That is all well and good and makes for some entertainment but could someone post a link to anything in writing from Porsche? Until we see something from them in writing.....keep the BS coming.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick your soundtrack is skipping again-- is it that lonely on the F-boards?

RS press release from earlier this year -https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28792

this nearly sounds like foreshadowing of add'l '08s:

Last edited by Paul523; 05-09-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: jpg
Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Come on Amaist! To each his own, no? If some guy wants deviating stitching on his GT3 because he feels it suits him more then a C2S, then, what the hell.

NAV or not, seeing a GT3 just makes me smile. In fact it is those over optionned GT3's and Cayenne's that makes the CGT and RS a reality. More power to 'em.
Of course, they can have it. I don't like over optioned GT3s sitting on the dealer lots that's all. If some guy wants to order one up with a jacuzzi in the front then more power to him.

I was just saying that cars like the GT3 and especially the GT3RS should not linger in dealer inventory and should be build to order only.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by amaist
Of course, they can have it. I don't like over optioned GT3s sitting on the dealer lots that's all. If some guy wants to order one up with a jacuzzi in the front then more power to him.

I was just saying that cars like the GT3 and especially the GT3RS should not linger in dealer inventory and should be build to order only.
Except for the waiting, I think you are correct.

Quick Reply: 170 2008 GT3 RS coming