Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mooty said
HTML Code:
80386... good old time when i was in high school.
I learned assembly language on an 8080 we had to use punch cards and hand enter the hex data. You guys are kids.
BTW the 8080 is still the processor used in AV-8b Harrier aircraft to deliver its weapons. talk about old!! That would be cool if weapons were blue tooth though! You could be flying your F18- call your 2000lb bomb on your cell phone and text message the coordinates of the target real time!!! that would be cool.
But chances are the pilots daughter stole Daddy cell phone on the way to school.
I'm sure you know your stuff, but the 8080 was replaced so many times, surely they're using a later revision of CPU, BIOS chips, you name it. Don't they ever upgrade that stuff? I remember picking up a list of all the machine code bugs in an 8080A (I was writing for a Z80 of some sort) and we found a way to crash the old 8080 (an interpreter simulater that was so faithful it even reproduced the bugs ...) in all kinds of ways as we tried to build our first interpreter (a sort of real time compiler thingy that even allowed us to make all kinds of horrible things like self-modifying code ... fast, but deadly ... I bet they don't use that in mission critical systems ...)

Given how unstable OSX is on Intel, I have to notch one up to poor old Mot for making very stable gear. So it goes.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mooty said
HTML Code:
80386... good old time when i was in high school.
I learned assembly language on an 8080 we had to use punch cards and hand enter the hex data. You guys are kids.
BTW the 8080 is still the processor used in AV-8b Harrier aircraft to deliver its weapons. talk about old!! That would be cool if weapons were blue tooth though! You could be flying your F18- call your 2000lb bomb on your cell phone and text message the coordinates of the target real time!!! that would be cool.
But chances are the pilots daughter stole Daddy cell phone on the way to school.
I remember the days of computers that actually had lights and switches on the front where you loaded each register at a time in binary, DEC PDP8's and 10's, DataGeneral Novas, etc. Assembly language was the standard. Memory was copper wire wrapped around cores on cards larger than todays motherboards. Card readers and papertape were a luxury... I'm still in the software development game today. We've come a long way!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrpc12
The wait is over. My car was delivered today.

How happy are you right now

Congratulations.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Adam they did an upgrade but that was after I left the program in 93 I dont know what they use today
but the Marines dont have the money the Air Force does so I am sure it wasnt a HUGE upgrade.

Quick Reply: Dude, where's my car?