Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brake Bake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I think you need to revisit what actions each driver took. Frankly, for most drivers, if they put, say 50 lb of pressure on the brake and get less reaction than they expected, they then redouble their effort and put 100lb on the pedal. It would be unusual to put 50lb of pressure on the pedal, have the system react the same as when you put 25lb on the pedal and not do anything aboiut this.

Next I would wonder what happens if I leave cars out in the sun when it is really hot, after track use. Possibly, under these conditions, you should bleed before each track session. Try it again on a really hot day, and then have somebody who knows hydraulics check out the system, you may find you have introduced airlocks in some way, for example.

On really hot days, rubber lines can expand more than expected.

R+C
I would fall into the catagory of pushing harder. But the pedal didn't feel soft at all. I don't see how it could be the hydraulic system if the pedal feels good. The calipers aren't discolored.

This is a mystery and hopefully won't happen again.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Mitch, Craig had the same issue, but he was also on street pads. Just to clarify my issue, I'm a early application of brakes, then hard, then come of the brakes slowly while trailbraking kind of guy. I no longer wait until I see the hand of God, wait another second and then slam on the brakes. I used to do this in my earlier "rookie" years, but have found just like most experienced drivers that all that it does is unsettle the car. But this weekend, it was the middle (hard) part of the braking that I was having issues with. It kind of forced me to apply the brake harder and harder toward the end of the braking zone, since I was still carrying too much speed. Again, to me the brakes kind of felt like they were glazed over, and I blamed the stock pads. There was just no bite.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Pedal felt fine.
this is telltale green fade. it's odd that it happened to all three of you. did all three of you have brand new pads? knock-back or fluid overheat will cause pedal feel issues. pad glaze won't correct itself. the only self-correcting fade issue with no pedal feel problems is green fade. the pads heat up to race temps for the first time. the bonding agents bake out and liquify between the pad and rotor. you will smell brakes. then this will go away. the pads will actually look like gray charcoal (a bit ashen) near the rotor once they're broken in.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
this is telltale green fade.
My pads were new. It only happened once so maybe you are on to something. They worked fine after that. I was told that if the pads are whitish on the surface that I overheated them. Is that true? I am going to try to get to the car this evening but definately by tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:15 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

The TT's and GT3's have a vacuum reservoir. I would be surprised if you could deplete it completely
Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
My pads were new. It only happened once so maybe you are on to something. They worked fine after that. I was told that if the pads are whitish on the surface that I overheated them. Is that true? I am going to try to get to the car this evening but definately by tomorrow.
they're trying to describe glaze to you. your pads aren't glazed; if they were, the poor braking issue you described would have continued.

i'll do my best to describe a green fade experience so you can compare:

start driving, brakes are great

two to three laps in, brakes don't want to stop the car. pedal feels fine, but feels like you can't press hard enough to get them to bite. no torque. you smell brakes.

they start to come back after the next straight.

after you let the car rest between sessions, the issue never occurs again.

sound familiar? check to see if the other guys had new pads, too. for more information on green fade, break-in, and anything else you want to know about braking systems, check here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml
Old 05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
grussell
Pro

I have the steel brakes on my GT3 and tracked it 4 days with SRF and stock pads. I had no issues and was very pleased with the brakes performance.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

No issues with the stock brakes and stock fluid. I've tracked it in pretty hot weather as well and have not expeirenced any fade. There was another RS with steels and stock pads and fluids and he didn't report any fade. Weird that it happened to all three of you.

Quick Reply: Brake Bake!